£50k to spend - has to be fast, do 30mpg on a motorway run and be kind of ‘special’.

slickcell

RMS Regular
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Ok after something that will do 30mpg on a long motorway run, has to be fast and kind of special. For about £50k.

What are your thoughts?

My current options are 2018+ RS5 coupe or 2019+ Toyota Supra.

Anyone got any suggestions other than these or opinions on either/both of these cars?

Nigelo

RMS Regular
BMW M4 CS (or M3 if in the price bracket)
C63s coupe
Jag F type R awd

some more will come to mind soon enough..........

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6

Will never do 30mpg on a run surely? Anything with a V8 is out of the question really

BMW M4 CS (or M3 if in the price bracket)
C63s coupe

some more will come to mind soon enough..........

Strongly considered the C63s before but like above, MPG is an issue. I want to drive this thing to work lol. M3/M4 aren’t massively different inside to the 4 series M sport I have at the minute so they won’t feel ‘completely new’ to me.

MarkM

RMS Regular
I really like the Supra, not sure it would feel special enough, my M4 old felt a step above :grinning:
Bullit Mustang :grinning: Mine, although not a bullit did 28mpg bringing it back from Oxford and that wasn’t hanging about lol Proper event to drive imo

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Probs be something like a Cayman R or Lotus exige for something to drive, Or an M6 Grand coupe for something a bit bigger but can't see it being great on mpg.

Tbf I do like a new Supra but cant really see it feeling special? and an rs5 would do nothing for me but each to their own.

Tbh most cars will do near 30 on a long run, its the short runs in something with a big engine that will make your eyes water lol

TTRS or GTR probs a decent shout, plenty of change from 50k as well.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Surely that’s 911 criteria right there?

*edit it is

Hmmm…yeah possibly a 911 would be. Which one thOugh?
I really like the Supra, not sure it would feel special enough, my M4 old felt a step above :grinning:
Bullit Mustang :grinning: Mine, although not a bullit did 28mpg bringing it back from Oxford and that wasn’t hanging about lol Proper event to drive imo

I agree - worry that the supra will ‘do something’ for me for a few weeks then just feel like a…well, like a Z4 lol.

Mustang? Mpg? Hahaha I love mustangs but Jesus, I can’t see anything north of 20mpg lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Probs be something like a Cayman R or Lotus exige for something to drive, Or an M6 Grand coupe for something a bit bigger but can't see it being great on mpg.

Tbf I do like a new Supra but cant really see it feeling special? and an rs5 would do nothing for me but each to their own.

Tbh most cars will do near 30 on a long run, its the short runs in something with a big engine that will make your eyes water lol

TTRS or GTR probs a decent shout, plenty of change from 50k as well.

I wouldn’t dream of a TTRS - I know they’re probably class but no….I just couldn’t bring myself to owning one and feeling proud to tell people “I drive a TT” lol.

A GTR however, yeah I would but could they do that sort of mpg?

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I'd be looking for a 991.1 Carrera 2 S in manual, though not sure they've quite got to 50k yet. Last of the 3.8 NA and 7 speed manual, class like!
PDK maybe worth a look if its for commuting in, and more choice with that box also.

Edit - Something like this. Yes it's not a GT3/Turbo/GTS or anything, but 4.3 to 60 is still decent for a commuter. I'd prefer one with the aero kit personally but that's just me lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
The problem I found with a 911, all the special ones are way over that budget, Cayman R would be a much better buying it had to be pork imo

Exactly. A £50k 911 would be a bit ‘lost’.

JT079

RMS Regular
991 s in PDK is properly sitting in this budget with a list of good options.

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
As @MarkM said mustang be winner for me as much as I love Porsche and an rs6 is perfect all rounder a mustang is something different and I’m constantly fighting myself not to throw the rs in for one on weekly basis lol

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
I wouldn’t dream of a TTRS - I know they’re probably class but no….I just couldn’t bring myself to owning one and feeling proud to tell people “I drive a TT” lol.

A GTR however, yeah I would but could they do that sort of mpg?
Agree on the 911's, class but they just seem so over priced for anything relatively new atm which I'm guessing you want.

Couple of here have GTR's and would know the real mpg, cant remember who though? 6 cylinder so u'd think relatively decent on a run, more expensive than I thought though!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
S8 Plus, 911, Boxster S, X5M, RS6, 840, Grantourismo

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
@gary1365 Shots fired, too late! :p

Wouldn't be keen on the auto box but tbh, be better for commuting. Using a 500bhp supersaloon for commuting is the definition of madness or the true mark of a hero, absolutely class!

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
@gary1365 Shots fired, too late! :p

Wouldn't be keen on the auto box but tbh, be better for commuting. Using a 500bhp supersaloon for commuting is the definition of madness or the true mark of a hero, absolutely class!
It’s ok I was originally coming to comment a Tesla 🤣