106 gti - now pics on OZ Saturns!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
looks alright, bit low for me too... almost a shame to see so many GTi's go down the old modifying route (cos theyre soooo good standard), bit like all decent gti's' & gsi's, etc

Used to have 15in OZ saturns on my 1.0 Micra Sport many, many, many moons ago... loved them, the car was a dose though (think its still going somewhere about north belfast too lol)

Harry

RMS Regular
Drives
V8
Smart car, but have to agree with most comments. Im a real fan of lowness too and always liked a mean looking stance on a car, but id have to draw the line at yours im afraid. She must understeer like a mother****er too.
Oh and I reckon the Saturns suit both the cars nicely, however Saxos just have it as they are a slightly more rounded and curvy shape to suit the wheels.

2002 Tii

Banned
when you mature a few years you will look back on this period in your life and ask yourself why oh why you drove around in a car that was so low you looked stupid driving it and when people turned to look at you it was because they were having a snigger to themselves rather than admiring your taste in car modifications

nice rims though

Maxwell

Banned
OP
Maxwell
when you mature a few years you will look back on this period in your life and ask yourself why oh why you drove around in a car that was so low you looked stupid driving it and when people turned to look at you it was because they were having a snigger to themselves rather than admiring your taste in car modifications

nice rims though

that wot u thought about urself?? that u wer a pratt for ur stupid moddings back in the days of nam????

catch urselves on!!! the car handles better that low, imo the saturns look better on a 106 than a saxo and to be annoying 2 ppl who think its too low, im going to drop it further at the front...and im going 2 look wotever 2 ppl, but end of day i like it and its bumpy as fook, and i like it and it buffs wee tiny bit and i like it.......:-# :-# :-# :-# :-# :-#

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mgvRAq40pk&mode=related&search=threadmill[/ame]

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
how are you gona lower it more at the front?
no offense but if you do lower it more you are running the risk of cracking the car in half (no im not joking, seen it happen on a clio) because the ride is soo harsh, especially if your thinkin of cutting the front springs, watch for cracks in the paint around the sunroof cause its weakest there

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
that wot u thought about urself?? that u wer a pratt for ur stupid moddings back in the days of nam????

catch urselves on!!! the car handles better that low, imo the saturns look better on a 106 than a saxo and to be annoying 2 ppl who think its too low, im going to drop it further at the front...and im going 2 look wotever 2 ppl, but end of day i like it and its bumpy as fook, and i like it and it buffs wee tiny bit and i like it.......:-# :-# :-# :-# :-# :-#

very very doubtful. Its been tried and tested by numerous gti/vts owners and most would suggest that even 60mm spoils the handling and chuckibility of the wee french cars, so id say yours probably just feels bumpy as hell, and does not handle 'better' and indeed you would prob end up in a hedge backwards if you where to give it some out doing a bit of spirited driving one night. The back end is bound to have an imbalance with the braking.

At the end of the day yes its your motor, but you posted up pics, this is a public forum, users are entitled to their opinion, and the general opinion is that it looks silly with the back on the floor, and if your gonna drop the front more (aka cut a coil or 2) to level it out, then your going to further spoil the cars handling characteristics. Which is daft since your ''xmas list includes cams etc' no point if its gonna handle like a bag of dung.

get onto the saxo/106 owners clubs and see if they agree with your comment on how it handles better . :confounded:

Stuarty1984

RMS Regular
very very doubtful. Its been tried and tested by numerous gti/vts owners and most would suggest that even 60mm spoils the handling and chuckibility of the wee french cars, so id say yours probably just feels bumpy as hell, and does not handle 'better' and indeed you would prob end up in a hedge backwards if you where to give it some out doing a bit of spirited driving one night. The back end is bound to have an imbalance with the braking.

At the end of the day yes its your motor, but you posted up pics, this is a public forum, users are entitled to their opinion, and the general opinion is that it looks silly with the back on the floor, and if your gonna drop the front more (aka cut a coil or 2) to level it out, then your going to further spoil the cars handling characteristics. Which is daft since your ''xmas list includes cams etc' no point if its gonna handle like a bag of dung.

get onto the saxo/106 owners clubs and see if they agree with your comment on how it handles better . :confounded:

This man speaks the truth, im on pgac and have seen numerous arguements over ride height, the most anyone drops is 50 and thats a eibach/billie set up, and the car is supposed to sit nose down, 15mm higher at the back for handling/braking purposes. Mr clarkson said himself after something like a lambo or ferrari the 106 gti was the best handling car he's ever drivin. Ive one myself and im sure i will drop mine also, but at the very most i'll go for the 50mm drop, but even then i will probably think its too much.

and from another gti owner, the saturns suit the saxo better.

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
the car handles better that low

you credability just took a serious nosedive :party:. If you put it that low to improve the handling..... you've made an error. If you put it that low because you like the look of it then each to their own :grinning:

Jonny

RMS Regular
meanwhile on jim.....

philvtr
Jon44w.Com
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

Member Is Online

Mood: sideways

default_icon.gif
posted on 18-12-2006 at 10:46 AM

Quote:Originally posted by coleen
i liked the gti rims on it .. its nearly too tho i think - (omg i dont sound like a magherafeltun at all sayin that) lol ... watch urself on them roads

im dissapointed coleen!!
Stop.gif
lad looks unreal,get another coil or 2 wacked off the front! praise the lowered
yoda.gif

i love the promotion of safe motoring yea sure cut the springs that will be lovely and safe

w@nkers :mad:

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
All i can say is good luck if/when you get stopped by the police and asked to go to the mot centre. im a fan of low cars but thats taking the biscuit

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Anyone who lowers a car by cutting springs shouldn't be allowed to own a car!

On a really bumpy road a car as low as the 106 in this thread could easily end up bouncing out of control, and end up taking some poor fecker out in the process.

sexxxo-vtr

Drives
330ci sport
ok i dont know this lad, but where in this did he say he was cutting the springs?

JDM quoted what some numpty said on jon44 said bout cutting springs!cream-beast didnt once say he was cutting springs and yous are all havin a go at him about it?
surely there are ways of getting around getting it lower without having to cut springs on the little pug... can you not get coilovers for the front of the gti's?

and yes fair enough the car may not handle aswell being lower at the back, but my d-turbo was as low as that and it handled like a champion!lol!
but i am a fan of putting a car lower than your grannies nipples, but i do it purely because i think it looks better and not for handling purposes coz i dont drive fast!

Cess

RMS Staff
Bottom line is, the car is that low, it looks like the suspension is broke. There is no way it would pass MOT and I would severely doubt that there is enough suspension travel for it to be deemed as safe.

For show (y)

For actual driving :worried:

Jason

RMS Regular
i know for a fact that thing IS sittin on the rear bump stops, unless uv cut them too, my vts was a bit higher than that and it was on the stops when driving

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Can't understand this slamming thing tbh

I installed new shocks & stops into the golf, but the stops I got were too long (for normal golf - whereas mines lowered 40mm). Didnt really realise that the car was resting on the bump stops untill I got it all reassembled and took it for a spin...

It was so uncomfortable, bouncy and skittish that I thought Id actually fuked the suspension up completely

Cut a good bit off the bumpstop and the control and comfort comes back, and have confidence in going round a bend without a small bump sending me off into a 360 spin

Not sure how slamming the wee 106 that far could benefit the handling at all... though I'd love to see it versus a standard set up on the track (or closed road) to see what kind of difference there really is

Oh and I still reckon the wheels suit it lad... keep them on IMO

Jonny

RMS Regular
ok i dont know this lad, but where in this did he say he was cutting the springs?

JDM quoted what some numpty said on jon44 said bout cutting springs!cream-beast didnt once say he was cutting springs and yous are all havin a go at him about it?
surely there are ways of getting around getting it lower without having to cut springs on the little pug... can you not get coilovers for the front of the gti's?

and yes fair enough the car may not handle aswell being lower at the back, but my d-turbo was as low as that and it handled like a champion!lol!
but i am a fan of putting a car lower than your grannies nipples, but i do it purely because i think it looks better and not for handling purposes coz i dont drive fast!

mr kane i was simply outlining the stupidity of what was said on the other side.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.