2003 Vauxhall VX220 2.2

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Please keep it the grey it looks so so good!

Is the box an upgrade or is it a repair?

Glad to see you are keeping it a while yet, always enjoy your threads

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Upgrade Pete. Closer ratio and also going with a lightened flywheel and shorter shifter.
The car is quick but feels a little lazy on the power due to the gearing. Not a drastic change but should spice it up a little especially in tandem with the flywheel.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
VX looks awsome with a large rear spoiler.
Upgrade Pete. Closer ratio and also going with a lightened flywheel and shorter shifter.
The car is quick but feels a little lazy on the power due to the gearing. Not a drastic change but should spice it up a little especially in tandem with the flywheel.
be good to get a trackday and compare before xmas

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Aye stop slacking, you painted it quicker lol..
I've had gearbox changes take a couple of months waiting on parts myself so understand the reluctance to get wired in.
Best change I made to the mx5 was the 4.6 CWP, woke it up properly.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
There will be more once you get started, it's never easy.

Close ratio box was the best thing I ever did when the Lotus still had a Rover in the back.

The Honda of course already has a close ratio box as standard :innocent: Only saying ;)😁

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Box is out and on the floor. NOT looking forward to trying to get the new box back up and in again.

BEAF2185-A822-4647-A8A7-5D6D0008FD82.jpeg
937E8F21-E903-4F07-8FD9-CA252AAE25AA.jpeg
604097D5-76F2-481A-A167-F583D42DEC6F.jpeg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
That's pretty decent tbh, seen plenty never lasting that long. Probably a testament to how light the car is really.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
It’s not through nanny driving anyway :grinning:

consider that clutch is designed to handle a zafira being abused daily. So yeah half the weight certainly helps.
Honestly would be tempted the throw that back in only knowing my luck it would split.

good news though is I’m glad I didn’t splurge on the fancy helix clutch I was going to. Replacement is a calibra 4x4 one and much kinder on the wallet.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Do it once, don't want to drag the gear box again if you don't have to?

And yes, no need for anything too fancy. As long as it can take the torque it will be fine. People run standard Honda/Exedy clutches in full on supercharged Lotii. That's at 350+.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Zafira bag in. What a handling. Need to button it all up so fingers crossed it’s not a lemon.

fill plug rounded off when removing which was fun to sort. Mr grinder to the rescue.
Also short shifter arm fitted with a new derlin bush. Hope this is a good mod.

feel like I was bench pressing that box for hours. Was just awkward as hell. Also took me ages to get the clutch disc lined up as the tool I had was garbage

B5AA247D-D64D-42A1-95CB-10443386400C.jpeg
8CAB6288-CBF6-4721-A850-9471FC2E3498.jpeg
2A264DE4-1494-42CF-83F2-57171D7493BF.jpeg
AB7E3B56-8F85-40FE-AE10-69C187976CA6.jpeg
670ED31F-D266-4DBA-8EDB-79BA7685E56B.jpeg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Beffy looking diff there. 8o|

No help to you now but what I do with boxes now is set an axle stand or brace bar on the engine and then use a trolley jack on the gearbox, usually the diff and jack it up into position so I only have to move it a short distance for lining it up. Takes the strain out of trying to hold the box above yourself. Not always possible of course but usually worth a shot for the sake of your back.

Should liven it up alright, short shifter etc will be good too. (y)

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
I’ve 2 jacks dude. One was holding the engine then I loaded the box onto the other one and got it up to close to position. Then started wriggling. Would be a nightmare to try to do it all from the ground. Nooope.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
My bad, didn't see the second jack in your pics lol. I used to do it with the box on my chest and then bench press it up in but
a) I've got older
and b) boxes have got heavier as cars have got bigger.
and c) I've got older. :p

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
update:

Got everything fitted and buttoned up and was time for a first start.
  • Turned the crank by hand and everything free
  • Unplugged the coilpack and turned it over on the starter. all ok
  • Connected coilpack and started up all ok
  • Tried to put it into gear (on stands) and clutch felt awful. Hard, then soft, then stuck halfway down then freed up
  • - can select gears without pressing the clutch
  • - drive wont engage
Hoping its a case of I bled the clutch incorrectly. I put a pressure bleeder on the reservoir and let the fluid flow from the bleed nipple on top of the box until it ran clear. Prob put 200-300ml of fluid through

Also of note is a light scraping sound while rotating. If I had to guess it feels like the springs on the pressure plate rotating against the slave cylinder.

I really hope this isnt a box off again affair, Im not sure my mental health could cope with it.