2006 Honda crv (Heep project)

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
Keep a log of this here and i like blogging stuff so my plans are to swop the tyres on the jeep over to the old steels for the mot in June. That will let me refurb the alloys ready to receive the over sized AT tyres. After mot I will install the parts I have ready to go on.
This was all good until I pulled the old steels out
0FC97302-8671-4C59-A5BA-63870EAE399B.jpeg

Badly scratched up and rusted. What started out to be a quick touch with the wire wheel
D42760B0-1E9A-4527-A374-33802F33D454.jpeg

ended up a full rub down with a flap wheel. I didnt get the full rubbed down pic but was shiney steel when finished. Primer lying in the garage sprayed on
60BE3637-5FAE-4A72-A484-E6B70FC6F73E.jpeg

Bought a cheap tin of satin for 4.99 and layered on lacquer I had lying in the garage. All 4 wheels look better all for a 5er even though they will be fitted for all of about 3 weeks.
367772D4-0358-43FB-8CFD-E5E5387F5FF9.png

colin84

RMS Regular
Document this here as it kinda was done at the same time I acquired the car.
Had an old trailer lying rotting. A man I know does agricultural metal fab work owed me a favour for clearing a wind blown storm tree during the winter. I left the trailer over to him and asked him if he would make it road worthy again. He replaced all mounting points and all steel angle under the floor and around the base. Superstar. Must of taken him ages and all for free.
Had a set of tsw volcanes from my mr2 lying in the garage.
Sparyed them silver, painted the trailer silver with the ladder bar black. New led lights, plate and timber. Think 70 odd quid in paint and materials and its back in operation.
Chav trailer was born.
View attachment 192961
How it sits tonight ready for the dump in the morning.
View attachment 192960

You know you will need guards over the wheels @j44nty to be legal? Just incase you ever get stopped.

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
How are you finding it so far @j44nty? I’m back to thinking about 1 this morning :worried:.
I have driven it for a very long time on occasion when i needed to borrow it and been running it solid the last month.
I personally find it painful being a manual but also good for towing being a manual.
Its a utility wagon full stop. It goes over rough ground well it soaks up the bumps on a rough B road well its reasonably comfortable. We have a stack of defenders in work and they are like driving a tractor in comparison and i find the honda will do 60-70 % of what i expect out of the defender and at least there is somewhere for your right arm lol. It has given very little problems in its lifetime being a honda. The chain was replaced at 80000 which was about 500 and it has 2 new rear calipers and 1 hub other wise it has only been serviced since 2006 which is really quite amazing. I am used to bmw’s need parts every fortnight.
If you plan on towing i wouldnt look past one. Id go for an end of the line 2nd gen like mine as the real time 4x4 activating in low traction conditions late 2004 2005 and 2006 cars had the better system then the older model you needed more wheel spin to activate the system hench gen 1 off road videos usually have the bag being horsed out of them in off road conditions. The newer 4x4 system in the newer models although more comfortable and nicer on the road is an awd model not really suited to harder off road conditions but capable enough. I just prefer the off road capability of the older models.

A 2004-2006 car with a full history would be great value and do everyhting you need from a family utility jeep. Not quite as comfortable as an accord although there is an armrest (I may put some recaros in the front as i miss a seat that holds you properly and there is plenty of choice in the honda family) and not quite as capable as a defender but a great all rounder. I think it makes a perfect third car at the house and its nice to blend into traffic in something a bit ugly that you dont overly care where you park it or leave it.
@PaulYDP is my next door neighbour and has a gen 3 that looks lovely. I'm sure he can share his thoughts on it for you too.

Hope that answers your question.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Plans sounds great @j44nty - look forward to seeing the lift kit in it!
Also noticed the chav trailer sitting out the front the other evening when walking past - had a wee chuckle at the TSW's on it :laughing:

As for the MK3 CRV, I'm very happy with it - I bought it for towing with and then haven't towed a thing with it yet but over the winter in the snow it was great - never had one issue with it even in some dodgy conditions. Mine is the EX model so a few extra creature comforts which help! Does all it needs to for me as a workhorse, I only get about 40mpg out of it though but a lot of that is short journeys.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Whats your tyre size looks well

Thanks, they are Goodyear Wrangler MTR 235/70/16. I had to do a bit of work to get them to fit on the front. I bought 30mm spacers - these were too big, so I got them lathed down to 22mm, and had to 'modify' the wheel arches. They sit just about level with the arches, maybe 10mm past them, third MOT since fitted and no problems.

bmurf

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
How about a gunmetal grey type of colour for wheels. Black wheels can't really be seen unless up close I'm not a fan of silver wheels on silver car but that might just be me

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
Over the next few weeks the fun can begin.
This week i spent an eye watering 400 quid on new drop links track rod ends, bushings and a full service but in lieu of that I got a full years mot this morning.
As my da owned it from new I asked him about the service history to which he said it was under the bonnet so out with the tipex i updated it too. Moved onto the engine cover as the water bottle had run out of room. LoL
CB24E945-538C-4CE3-A30B-67AD8AED6CA4.jpeg

Some 2k clear came that is going through my new gravity fed gun. The alloys are going gloss black then fit the new tyres. The lift is going in at the end of the month with the wheels and spacers.

Today i am going to dismantle all the doors and fit new rockfords all round so maybe some audio updates.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
I've noticed the audio in ours isn't the best too, must be a trend.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Good work, it'll look the job with the lift kit in!
Went to fit a towbar to mine last night and discovered that 5 out of the 8 chassis mounted nuts are full of crap and I don't have a tap in the right size :worried:

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Need a M10 x 1.25 - joy of Jap stuff and their fine threads. The standard size is M10 x 1.5 which I can get easily but struggling to get 1.25 as a number of places locally are closed. Typical when I get some free time to fit it and have it stripped and all!

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
With a morning spent 40 miles from home chain sawing and packing trailers and still focused on staying sober for the afternoon I tackled the wheels.

On Sunday past I rubbed them down with 400/800 and its a task I hate doing so much so i half assed the last two wheels just to get painting.
Stuck with the norm and lashed on filler primer.
I knew before I started that this set was gonna get 2k lacquer through the chinese special gun lol.
Gloss black applied from a tin and no runs which is always a bonus.
I drained the water from my compressor then fitted a moisture trap at the compressor. I ran out a full extension reel
(Compressed air is hot and cools in the line condensing creating moisture) before connecting to my gun filter and pressure regulator. Surprising even with a diy setup the amount of moisture captured at the gun you can see it in the clear filter. I mixed up my lacquer 2parts clear 1 part hardner and 10% thinners. I think it was a little thin. I set the pressure regulator to 27psi and had a nice 8” spray pattern out of a 1.4mm tip. I was ready to roll.

Flash off time from paint to clear was about 20mims I didnt want my base to dry fully as I wanted a tacky bond with the clear. The clear went down well BUT my impatience got the better of me and I went for my glossy 3rd lap too early thankfully I do not have any surface runs but of the side of a couple of spokes gravity has gather some clear. Its only the side of spokes I am not overly fussed as I will flat them out with some 2000 grit next week. I have a couple of flys to flat out anyway lol. Joys of painting outdoors.

I like doing things myself and teaching myself new things I enjoyed putting down the 2k clear and will certainly be doing more of it. The gloss level is a world away from an acrylic lacquer out of a tin. I also wanted the surface a little tougher to survive stone chips.
Any tips from the pro painters fire them my way please. (@weeloaney)

0F5DE868-6C80-426F-8C6F-F3C51CB58C7B.jpeg

4C569837-5291-4292-ABCB-67D7159B2153.jpeg

346B75D2-9815-4A3F-9109-64751CEAE1CF.jpeg

A9ECE005-AE05-4F3E-B037-7EA1879A1B0A.jpeg

586D0528-159F-4750-B562-3CA137887AFF.jpeg

BC3CE4E7-AF1F-418F-9250-DCFD0F506AF8.jpeg

CE9DA134-1D7F-44BF-BFD2-D7B461604738.jpeg

0BE1612D-D23D-4E50-A65E-774BFC6B07E9.jpeg

j44nty

RMS Regular
OP
j44nty
Center caps painted up. Silver honda stickers applied and a skim of tin laquer back over the top to seal. The oddest thing one reacted and had to be rubbed right back and started again but ok now.
I really could flat the wheels down but I gonna leave it a few weeks until they are fully cured. In the mean time I am happy with the results.
25273599-499F-43BB-A9D4-396632F540BC.jpeg

0223905E-6BA7-42B2-AC89-44D6258AD677.jpeg

A4824B04-6BB6-42A6-A5DA-8B1C6C2221F0.jpeg