4x4 under £3k

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Health to drive. Stornaway grey same as mine. If you’re like me you want love it but won’t hate it and struggle to find much more for the money either. I bought a cheap steering wheel thing to stitch onto mine as saw a few other done and seemed decent enough remedy. Being an earlier model it shouldn’t have DPF it I’m right?

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Health to drive. Stornaway grey same as mine. If you’re like me you want love it but won’t hate it and struggle to find much more for the money either. I bought a cheap steering wheel thing to stitch onto mine as saw a few other done and seemed decent enough remedy. Being an earlier model it shouldn’t have DPF it I’m right?

There’s a wheel on EBay @£39 I’m tempted to buy and have Arek in Ballymena recover it, your solution might be a better short term fix though as the wheel feels horrible.
Not sure on dpf tbh, did that start in 09? This is September 07

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
Drives
RS6 / DC2
It is, sold as seen, no warranty etc :grinning:

It does, 1st thing I checked, cycles through the modes too, just had it up and down my very icey hill, you can feel the power shifting :grinning:
153k on it, leggy but hiding it well, jobs needing doing I can see from a quick look
Tracking needs done
Front fog smashed but new one in the door pocket
Parking sensors
Adjuster missing from passenger air vent
Boot lid switch doesn’t work
One of the keys needs a new casing
Daddy long legs inside a headlamp lol
Steering wheel is a mess
Needs gear and handbrake gaitors
I’m sure I’ll find more

It’s a 170 and goes ok

Interior pic before I cleaned it

View attachment 306717

what engine is in this? BMW? 153K is nothing

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
There’s a wheel on EBay @£39 I’m tempted to buy and have Arek in Ballymena recover it, your solution might be a better short term fix though as the wheel feels horrible.
Not sure on dpf tbh, did that start in 09? This is September 07

The steering wheel is possibly my main gripe. Think the HSE spec came with a nice wheel but hard enough finding a clean enough car let alone a better spec!

Think you’re right on the DPF.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
I can’t mate, so much in the pipeline, £3k is really it this year, I’d have to borrow, I’d love a rangie but not ready to be ruined yet!
View attachment 306480
that’s the one I went to buy, incorrect mileage, boot handle came off in my hand, rust bubbles everywhere, soaking carpets, engine light on, both front seats seriously worn, steering wheel pointing to 10 o’clock, clutch biting point about 10mm off the carpet, wouldn’t select reverse, grumbling from the prop shaft carrier bearings, very disappointed, I know it’s not a lot of money for a vehicle but ffs :worried: Looked great in the pics, 3 month warranty too lololol

I'm replacing my alternator now. Not expensive just another part replaced on the never ending list lol but again still love it lol

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
A good friend has sold freelanders for years, I was chatting to him there, and asked him what are the key things to look out for:-
Rear diff or Transfer box would be the expensive ones especially If the mechanic can’t tell which one is gone as they both sound like it’s in the rear

Boost pipes which are hard to find but a handy fix

Door locks can be dear enough ( unless, he says, you can fix them like he can 😎)

Keep the tyres matching - I.e. Both rears the same and both fronts the same, as the Haldex can give trouble otherwise.

He said that he has followed most of the LR forums and the biggest expense with LR are mechanics that’s aren’t familiar enough with them.

He just said that he repaired a broken door lock on an evoque - for less than a tenner. The LR forums advised to buy a new one direct from Range Rover etc etc.

Btw - he also said that they are a reliable motor, and nothing will break the bank if it needs fixed. 👍

Health to drive btw.
Cooks

Last edited:

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
A good friend has sold freelanders for years, I was chatting to him there, and asked him what are the key things to look out for:-
Rear diff or Transfer box would be the expensive ones especially If the mechanic can’t tell which one is gone as they both sound like it’s in the rear

Boost pipes which are hard to find but a handy fix

Door locks can be dear enough ( unless, he says, you can fix them like he can 😎)

Keep the tyres matching - I.e. Both rears the same and both fronts the same, as the Haldex can give trouble otherwise.

He said that he has followed most of the LR forums and the biggest expense with LR are mechanics that’s aren’t familiar enough with them.

He just said that he repaired a broken door lock on an evoque - for less than a tenner. The LR forums advised to buy a new one direct from Range Rover etc etc.

Btw - he also said that they are a reliable motor, and nothing will break the bank if it needs fixed. 👍

Health to drive btw.
Cooks

Excellent, thanks for that :grinning: Part of the appeal was parts prices, brakes etc are cheap, not going to town on it but it’ll be kept right and hopefully do a couple of years without a big bill
The steering wheel is possibly my main gripe. Think the HSE spec came with a nice wheel but hard enough finding a clean enough car let alone a better spec!

Think you’re right on the DPF.

The HSE I drove last night had the same wheel as mine although it was leather wrapped and was still really badly worn

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
I went to see a “mint” HSE thankfully only up the road ant the condition of what could have been a good motor was hilarious. Car had been occupied and mostly eaten by 2 large husky type dogs and think every corner had humped a post lol.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
I went to see a “mint” HSE thankfully only up the road ant the condition of what could have been a good motor was hilarious. Car had been occupied and mostly eaten by 2 large husky type dogs and think every corner had humped a post lol.

oh I’ve had my fill of ‘mint’ and ‘lovely condition’ cars this week, I went to Lisnaskea for one ffs, great start when it crunches into gear and the engine light’s on lol

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Excellent, thanks for that :grinning: Part of the appeal was parts prices, brakes etc are cheap, not going to town on it but it’ll be kept right and hopefully do a couple of years without a big bill

The HSE I drove last night had the same wheel as mine although it was leather wrapped and was still really badly worn
Hopefully you wont, but if you've any issues, let me know and I'll run it past him for you, in case the fix isnt as obvious as you would like!!

Cheers

Cooks

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I went to look at a “mint” mk4 fiesta must be 15 years ago. Yea it looked mint but the drivers carpet was worn though under lovely new Ford mats and it was leaking oil from the head gasket. He told me that’s not oil it’s just grease take it a drive and I guarantee you’ll love it. Nah mate I’m grand don’t need a blown up clocked fiesta thanks.

He kept telling me to just take it a drive and kept getting annoyed when I was just looking at it he really didn’t want me to open the bonnet 😂 basically red flags from the very first word lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Being an old duffer, I have read the intro section of the Haynes manual and they do stress that keeping matching tyres and watch the wear on the fronts as they wear more quickly. I've swapped mine back to front more or less yearly to keep it happy. Last year when I was towing the rally car to Wales, we took a wring turn and ended up on a very steep hill which I was just going to take in first and keep her at it when a stupid woman pulled out from a row of cars forcing me to stop on the steepest part of the incline. The transfer box didn't like the resulting hill start and whined like a b4stard for a few miles. I honestly thought I'd fooked it but it calmed down and was happy enough after that so I assume they can get a bit upset with hard use.
20190727_135636.jpg

The steering wheel on mine is the same shape as yours but with different buttons and is leather covered. At 80K and 6 years, it's beginning to look a bit tired so it might be off to Arek for a freshen up too.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Being an old duffer, I have read the intro section of the Haynes manual and they do stress that keeping matching tyres and watch the wear on the fronts as they wear more quickly. I've swapped mine back to front more or less yearly to keep it happy. Last year when I was towing the rally car to Wales, we took a wring turn and ended up on a very steep hill which I was just going to take in first and keep her at it when a stupid woman pulled out from a row of cars forcing me to stop on the steepest part of the incline. The transfer box didn't like the resulting hill start and whined like a b4stard for a few miles. I honestly thought I'd fooked it but it calmed down and was happy enough after that so I assume they can get a bit upset with hard use.
View attachment 306788

The steering wheel on mine is the same shape as yours but with different buttons and is leather covered. At 80K and 6 years, it's beginning to look a bit tired so it might be off to Arek for a freshen up too.

The 3 of us need an Arek group buy :joy:

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Anyone know anything about these?

I know do enough to know they didn’t make a 2.7 lol. Be 2.5 or 2.8, 2.8 if auto I’d imagine. Noisy engine and thirsty in auto form (really thirsty) but very nippy. Rwd with selectable 4wd and low box, and randomly a stupidly high towing capacity for their size, like 3500kgs or something.