Alfa 159 Ti Sportwagon - 1750Tbi

johnm

RMS Regular
Sure beats a b5 indestructible Passat!
The full leather is nice though, heated seats are fantastic in the morning to haha!

What springs did you put into this? Once I get the new headunit sorted out, paint arch tidied up and a detail they are next on the list.
A turbo on the 2.2 would have been the perfect car. the dead zone around 3000-4500rpm is crying out for it

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
OP
andy9eleven
Drives
All broken
Still performing the daily duties admirably!

PSX_20171126_192220.jpg

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I bet it's a major pain in the hole to keep clean now.

My black wheels are permanently brown/grey now :-(

hippyross

RMS Regular
Stunning car I've a soft spot for an Alfa.
I spotted a lusso for sale on Facebook for 800 odd had sat for 2 years sob needed motd and clutch and flywheel which was provided, sounded cheap but could end up costing the price of an motd one.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
OP
andy9eleven
Drives
All broken
@mike150 oh don't you start! It was a bit up close for my liking. I didn't realise so many people actually watch the news - I only watch Netflix these days. I also didn't realise how hard it was to keep looking into Mark Simpson's eyes when there's a camera staring at you. I really just wanted to smile and say "cheese"!

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
OP
andy9eleven
Drives
All broken
The driving experience mainly!! It’s a lovely big car, comfortable, refined, quiet, great long distance cruiser. But on the downside:

- it’s full time 4wd and big and heavy and mine was the 2.0Tdi 190 auto and I only managed to average about 32mpg over about 18k Miles, from new
- I managed to cook the brakes with a few spirited back road commutes home from work - like I had to get new brakes as it literally could not haul the thing to a stop anymore
- the multitronic gearbox thing is pretty woeful at anything other than upshifts
- the steering has absolutely no feel or weight to it

In comparison, my cheap and cheerful little Alfa feels and handles like sports car. Is nicely balanced, sharp steering that weights up nicely, and has great stopping power. Yes it’s low rather than jacked up Audi, but I’ll not be buying a new Audi again. Put it this way, I preferred driving our 10 year old A3 to the new Allroad.

Nutts

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi R8
Thanks for that write-up. Wow that's not great economy. With a light foot we get just over 50mpg out of the '15 c class diesel hybrid. It's quick enough but handles like a barge even in the firmest setting. I think that's the problem with variable damping - you can change the damping but not the spring rate. Always fancied a giulietta cloverleaf but the reputation for reliability (may not be justified) puts me off.

Nice looking 159.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
The driving experience mainly!! It’s a lovely big car, comfortable, refined, quiet, great long distance cruiser. But on the downside:

- it’s full time 4wd and big and heavy and mine was the 2.0Tdi 190 auto and I only managed to average about 32mpg over about 18k Miles, from new
- I managed to cook the brakes with a few spirited back road commutes home from work - like I had to get new brakes as it literally could not haul the thing to a stop anymore
- the multitronic gearbox thing is pretty woeful at anything other than upshifts
- the steering has absolutely no feel or weight to it

In comparison, my cheap and cheerful little Alfa feels and handles like sports car. Is nicely balanced, sharp steering that weights up nicely, and has great stopping power. Yes it’s low rather than jacked up Audi, but I’ll not be buying a new Audi again. Put it this way, I preferred driving our 10 year old A3 to the new Allroad.

It also wasn't as quick as an old Saab :p

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
OP
andy9eleven
Drives
All broken
@Nutts yeah would have been nice to get somewhere close to the quoted mpg, but no! Just get an Alfa if you fancy one. I don’t see how they are any more unreliable than anything else these days. Sure the same companies make all the parts and then they are bought in and assembled into a car. Like Alfa don’t “make” the electrics. They buy it in and screw it in place.

@m00k thanks! I do love it. And it’s a bit different to the norm.

@Steve that is affirmative. The mighty Saab was definitely quicker during our official testing on a closed road.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
I want one! Lovely looking car @Andy888 and good to hear you've had no issues in 10k. That's a lot better than some other "reliable" manufacturers.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Your membership to the cool club is under review pending pictures on said car.. :p

Never know, it might well work just fine. :grinning: