Anyone doing wheel refurbs at the minute?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I could do with getting the standard 435 wheels done, but a couple of them have been re-cut before so I’m not sure how much life there is left in them.

2 of the winter wheels are also kerbed but I don’t think they are bad enough to warrant the full set.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
I have a jetski trailer that I'm improving and the 10 wheels are a little rusty so I called Bodyworx about getting them blasted and painted.......I figured an hour's work.

£65 plus vat each!!!.........£156 WTF. 2 new ones with tyres are £150 😆

Looks like I'm going to have to get the lid off the hamerrite tin 🙄
To be fair, may be a bit less materials and time but the amount of work is very similar, not going to have the 2 done in time it takes to do one car wheel. Likely just their set minimum charges for wheels too.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
To be fair, may be a bit less materials and time but the amount of work is very similar, not going to have the 2 done in time it takes to do one car wheel. Likely just their set minimum charges for wheels too.

Repaint two 10" steel trailer wheels -

Pull off 2 tyres which could be done by hand!
Remove 2 valves
Media blast 2 wheels
Paint 2 wheels
Refit valves
Refit tyres
Refit air

An hour...........That's what it took me with a wire brush and a zinc silver aerosol. Media blast would have been faster and easier.

Quoted £156, I tried to explain but they weren't interested. They charged me that for two 19" BMW alloys!

2 new wheels and tyres are only £150

Last edited:

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Repaint two 10" steel trailer wheels -

Pull off 2 tyres which could be done by hand!
Remove 2 valves
Media blast 2 wheels
Paint 2 wheels
Refit valves
Refit tyres
Refit air

An hour...........That's what it took me with a wire brush and a zinc silver aerosol. Media blast would have been faster and easier.

Quoted £156, I tried to explain but they weren't interested. They charged me that for two 19" BMW alloys!

2 new wheels and tyres are only £150

Just described the process for any wheel refurb bar balancing, If that’s the case it’d only maybe take 15-20mins more to do a set of alloys. Just cause the wheels nearly half the size doesn’t mean it takes half the time.

Could have removed the tyres yourself and taken them to any powdercoater and got charged less.

As said they probably have minimum pricing for wheels like most refurb places, they’d charge the same for 12/13” alloys as 17/18” alloys.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Just described the process for any wheel refurb bar balancing, If that’s the case it’d only maybe take 15-20mins more to do a set of alloys. Just cause the wheels nearly half the size doesn’t mean it takes half the time.

Could have removed the tyres yourself and taken them to any powdercoater and got charged less.

As said they probably have minimum pricing for wheels like most refurb places, they’d charge the same for 12/13” alloys as 17/18” alloys.
Except for the, repairs to finish, lacquer, polishing and balancing tyres never mind the physical size.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
N
Except for the, repairs to finish, lacquer, polishing and balancing tyres never mind the physical size.
Not all alloys need repairs, probably would have lacquered anyway as no lacquer leaves the finish soft, no paint finished alloys get polished and fitting/balancing tyres is kinda done in cost, must places wont charge less if you get that done elsewhere. And again size doesn’t change cost as much as you’d think.

You done it yourself a saved money, what’s the problem. Going to start rusting again once sitting about and then go into water. Wait till you need tyres and they’re about £50 each fitted without rims.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Anyway, KLC did a first class job with a great colour.

And easier and friendlier to deal with that cobra customs.

IMG_1271.jpeg
IMG_1272.jpeg
IMG_1299.jpeg

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Fantastic job!

I need to leave my F80 wheels into them to get done not going with the diamond cut again. Just undecided on the colour.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Fantastic job!

I need to leave my F80 wheels into them to get done not going with the diamond cut again. Just undecided on the colour.

Need the 435 wheels done too but can’t decide what to do instead if the diamond cut!