BMW have had car 5 weeks for EGR recall with no progress

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
MINI’s are not affected by the cooler recall.

The issue is parts shortage for the 6 cylinder diesel BMW. The cooler required for the 4 cylinder is available.

Lauren’s got a new EGR valve though. Is it just by chance?

Smoothie

RMS Regular
Drives
F54 Clubman
Lauren’s got a new EGR valve though. Is it just by chance?

Her’s could have had a batch recall on the valve yea, so would only affect a production month for instance and not every MINI with that engine.

I really just meant for the purposes of the supply issue, it’s the EGR cooler recall on the 6 cylinder that’s causing the issue.

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
Her’s could have had a batch recall on the valve yea, so would only affect a production month for instance and not every MINI with that engine.

I really just meant for the purposes of the supply issue, it’s the EGR cooler recall on the 6 cylinder that’s causing the issue.

Oops. I thought it was part of the bigger bmw recall sorry.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Was told today Bavarian have 100 cars in their lot waiting on egr valves?

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
Driver told me similar last week.

Seem to be getting only 1 or 2 parts a week so it's not really Bavarians fault to be fair.

Every dealer is struggling by the looks of it

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Brother in law got a kuga with 3000miles on it and it split the radiator on it. Now got a Hyundai jeep

Christopher

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline GTR
got the recall letter for 520d but actaully forgot about it till this thread

skimming through this, the wait is only with 6 cylinder engines? 4 cylinder should be ok? (i mean stock of parts?)

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I have to laugh at people moaning about the "crap" cars that got loaned so their fantastic cars can get work done on them to prevent them bursting into flames and burning to the ground.

Twisted logic

That's one viewpoint, I guess the other viewpoint is that the issue of potentially bursting into flames is not the fault of the car owner and BMW should where possible provide a like for like courtesy vehicle. One of the guys on the Pistonheads forum is paying a sizeable chunk of monthly finance for his BMW but has had a 1.4 Astra for 7 weeks. Nothing wrong with a 1.4 Astra, but if that's what he wanted to drive, that's what he would be paying for.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
That's one viewpoint, I guess the other viewpoint is that the issue of potentially bursting into flames is not the fault of the car owner and BMW should where possible provide a like for like courtesy vehicle. One of the guys on the Pistonheads forum is paying a sizeable chunk of monthly finance for his BMW but has had a 1.4 Astra for 7 weeks. Nothing wrong with a 1.4 Astra, but if that's what he wanted to drive, that's what he would be paying for.
I agree with that entirely, it was more tongue in cheek laugh at the rms badge snobbery.

In all seriousness, It would be interesting to see what the terms and conditions of the BMW warranty would be in regards to loan cars. And especially more interesting to see terms and conditions of finance and lease agreements in these circumstances and if there is any redress there.

I dread to think how much it would cost to rent a 640d for 2 months.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I agree with that entirely, it was more tongue in cheek laugh at the rms badge snobbery.

In all seriousness, It would be interesting to see what the terms and conditions of the BMW warranty would be in regards to loan cars. And especially more interesting to see terms and conditions of finance and lease agreements in these circumstances and if there is any redress there.

I dread to think how much it would cost to rent a 640d for 2 months.

I'm sure in their infinite wisdom their T&Cs allow them to get away with anything. Ultimately though they are trying to address the problem as cheaply as possible so the vast majority of affected BMW owners are being given low grade hire cars, rather than an equivalent premium model comparable to what they bought or are paying for.

It's not the end of the world, as people can still get from A-B. But in terms of customer service and PR, going by comments I've read online it's certainly irked a lot of long-standing BMW customers and I can see them losing a few.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I'm sure in their infinite wisdom their T&Cs allow them to get away with anything. Ultimately though they are trying to address the problem as cheaply as possible so the vast majority of affected BMW owners are being given low grade hire cars, rather than an equivalent premium model comparable to what they bought or are paying for.

It's not the end of the world, as people can still get from A-B. But in terms of customer service and PR, going by comments I've read online it's certainly irked a lot of long-standing BMW customers and I can see them losing a few.
Especially I think as there are fewer died hard BMW fans these days.

Many would gladly jump ship to Audi or Mercedes these days if deals or service is better.

I'm wondering if it will deter my mate's dad (oi his car is affected?) it's an f10 520d

Apart from a slight blip when the mk1 focus came out and he had one for 2 years as my mate was learning to drive, he's had a brand new 5 series every 2 years since I've been mates with his son in 1994, and long before that from what I'm told.

Their mum has had either minis or 1 series coupe and now a succession of 2 series, and their other son just moved from a 320i to a 420i.

That's crazy brand loyalty.

(They also had h z3 m coupe that broke their hearts and wallets)

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Speaking to one of Bavarian’s sale execs today, last check there was 120 cars sitting in Belfast and around 30,000 in England all waiting for EGR valves.

Their workshop is only closed between 01:00 and 05:00 they have that much work on.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
BMW has revealed it intends to recall268,000 diesel-engined models in the UK over a potential fire risk caused by a leaking part. The recall specifies that the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) cooler can, in some cases, leak glycol liquid

I wonder how many they have done so far!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I have to laugh at people moaning about the "crap" cars that got loaned so their fantastic cars can get work done on them to prevent them bursting into flames and burning to the ground.

Twisted logic

Lol laughed at that myself.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I can see why people are pissed off though. They have bought say a 330d because they wanted a 330d. They are paying for said 330d but instead have to drive say a Hyundai for weeks on end.

If they wanted to drive a Hyundai long term they would of bought one. Although I also get the fact that at least bmw hasn’t just left them all high and dry without any car.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Well, what's the monthly finance payments on a 535d m sport or a 640d? I'd say it's a damn sight more that a Hyundai Tuscan or whatever they give you