Car Insurance increases

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
This is what is particularly odd just now. Normally you got a renewal, went online and easily got a better price from a comparison site then either took it or got the present insurer on to match.
Now you get a renewal offer which is often way up on last year, go online for quotes which come out way higher. So you ring the current insurer and maybe get it down a bit but it’s still way up on last year.
I sniff that there could be some poor practice going on where insurers don’t have an appetite to take new customers on thereby meaning customers need to accept the inflated offer from their current insurers. End effect is that insurers don’t get new business but they all get increased revenue from their existing book of clients.
Similar to recent experiences I've had with mobile phone providers etc.

You used to be able to negotiate with their retention department, recently it's been 'you want to leave, ok, see ya then'.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Was doing new quotes for wife's car and they were nearly double, her renewal came in and was only £40 more than last year. Literally no rhyme or reason for all this. Mine is due on Christmas Eve so everyone do a little prayer for me LOL

R1CKY

RMS Regular
Was doing new quotes for wife's car and they were nearly double, her renewal came in and was only £40 more than last year. Literally no rhyme or reason for all this. Mine is due on Christmas Eve so everyone do a little prayer for me LOL
Quote at start of December should be the cheaper sweetspot

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Yea, according to Martin Lewis @ 21 days before is the cheapest.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Yea, according to Martin Lewis @ 21 days before is the cheapest.
Bet the insurance companies listen to that advice and change things. But do they make a quote at 30 days or 3 days before renewal the sweet spot???

Reactions: DC.

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
CompareNI have NEVER given me a competitive price. Usually resort to GoCompare or some of the other big sites

I'm the same, never had a competitive quote from them on anything. I even had the same insurer quoting a fair bit more through CompareNI than one of the bigger comparison sites!

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
When I was shopping for car insurance last month, I tried CompareNI, Meerkat and GoCompare. The results came out in the same order for each (1st central, Tesco, Admiral etc) but each were different prices. CompareNI were the most expensive for each result against the other 2.

Ended up with a direct quote from LV which beat everyone oddly enough.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
This was interesting, all the insurance price increases are putting people out of things like R8's and Gallardo's in big numbers. Must be a serious worry for a place like that for future business, the last 3 or 4 minutes is pretty much them discussing a complete wipeout of their customer base.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
This was interesting, all the insurance price increases are putting people out of things like R8's and Gallardo's in big numbers. Must be a serious worry for a place like that for future business, the last 3 or 4 minutes is pretty much them discussing a complete wipeout of their customer base.

Funny I was on LR approved used at lunch time today and couldn’t get over how much the arse has fallen out of <5 year old RRs

SPIKE_

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI | JCW
Insurance renewed this morning for our two cars with the same insurance company used previously - Churchill. After talking with them, the best I got it down to equated to a 37% increase, and to be honest it was by far the best price that I was getting anywhere else.

MustangAlly

RMS Regular
Drives
Corvette

You would assume that if they can afford that type of car they could afford a hefty insurance but im guessing the people jumping ship have financed the shyte out of them and prob cant afford another 100 quid a month coming out

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Swapped insurance over from the 2015 CC to 2021 Ioniq Hybrid > Minus £15.80 (with £25 admin fee, so still had to pay them lol)

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Insurance renewed this morning for our two cars with the same insurance company used previously - Churchill. After talking with them, the best I got it down to equated to a 37% increase, and to be honest it was by far the best price that I was getting anywhere else.
Take it you tried admiral?

I totally forgot about Churchill when doing mine:worried:

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Admiral
£650 last year / renewed at £754 (+16%)

When I was running quotes on the main comparison sites, Admiral wasn't even coming up because I have a few mods, and was getting other quotes of £1,500+

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Anyone had a renewal from Adrian Flux recently? I’m due mine next month.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Anyone had a renewal from Adrian Flux recently? I’m due mine next month.
Yup. Refused to budge for insane renewal Moved to admiral. Got much better deal. Think a page or so back I showed the deal I got. But was in the 100s I saved

Reactions: DC.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Paid circa £500 for my S4 in February. Changing to a new car and quotes of around £750. Although funny enough current insurer are giving £17 back if I swap policies.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
You would assume that if they can afford that type of car they could afford a hefty insurance but im guessing the people jumping ship have financed the shyte out of them and prob cant afford another 100 quid a month coming out
Some of the numbers mentioned earlier in that video were premiums going from £1500 to £6000 which is a fair bit for a car that is probably sitting around a lot.

A.M.Q.R.

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GT TSI
Old mans insurance was £218 last year with Churchill. Got renewal email yesterday, £480.

He changed from a E39 touring to a E60 with same engine last month, tho E60 is +4 groups but still doesn't warrant that increase.

Comparison sites with less reputable companies are about the same and doing a new quote as a new customer with Churchill won't even provide a quote.

May get on the blower in the morning to them...

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
My renewal from Adrian Flux came in at £528, up from £400 last year.

No changes to the policy so will phone this week.