Decent wheel cleaner

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Guys I'm looking a decent non acid wheel cleaner that won't cost the earth.

What do you recommend?

Brennan

RMS Regular
OP
Brennan
Drives
BMW
Looking to buy a 5L so will last me a while.

Heard about these colour changing iron fall out removers, they any good?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The only time I've needed specific wheel cleaners is when I've bought something and the wheels haven't been washed properly in years. Genuine question - am I missing something by just using the same soap I wash the car with on my well sealed/waxed wheels? They seem to come up nice and clean and I can't see any swirls on them.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
The only time I've needed specific wheel cleaners is when I've bought something and the wheels haven't been washed properly in years. Genuine question - am I missing something by just using the same soap I wash the car with on my well sealed/waxed wheels? They seem to come up nice and clean and I can't see any swirls on them.

Exactly the same here mate. Or perhaps the odd time the wheels have got very dirty etc.

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
autosmart smart wheels, absolutely fantastic product, comes in 5litres and dilutes down! use it on every valet I do with great results

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Exactly the same here mate. Or perhaps the odd time the wheels have got very dirty etc.

It's funny that I would use the same stuff as most on here for the washing, polishing, waxing, sealing, etc but the only thing I don't use is wheel cleaner. I have a bottle of stuff there I bought a few years ago, the only time I thought I really needed it was when I was cleaning my sisters car which hadn't seen a sponge in about 8 months and when I bought a set of scrappy wheels for the MINI and they were absolutely baked in brake dust.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
It's funny that I would use the same stuff as most on here for the washing, polishing, waxing, sealing, etc but the only thing I don't use is wheel cleaner. I have a bottle of stuff there I bought a few years ago, the only time I thought I really needed it was when I was cleaning my sisters car which hadn't seen a sponge in about 8 months and when I bought a set of scrappy wheels for the MINI and they were absolutely baked in brake dust.

Likewise, I only use it when I need it.

Well waxed the dirt easily wipes off the wheels anyway. So no biggie.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS

Probably right, I just have it in a spray bottle and spray it on before I snow foam the car and blast it off with the powerhose, saved any real cleaning

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
Anachem's StoneBrite is the best I have used to date. 90% of the time I just spray on and rinse off without needing to actually touch the wheel.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
I seen stuff on facebook
Sorry in, turns red then powerwash off an wheels come up great

I tried shampoo that I use to wash the car, but caked brake dust an other stuff won't budge

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
I seen stuff on facebook
There's a few different ones like that,all similar though
Iron X,Sonax full effect,merlins blood,bilberry
I never see much difference in them so stick with the iron X

O.C.D

RMS Regular
Ive used this for years and i just call into Moira were Glimmermann is based to purchase ...dilutes really well too (y)(y)

s-l1600.jpg

5L Glimmermann Non Acidic Alloy Wheel Cleaner

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I'm the same. Once they've had a proper clean and wax they almost just need powerhosed to clean. One day of a bit of effort saves so much hassle in the long run but some people don't see that.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I seen stuff on facebook

I tried shampoo that I use to wash the car, but caked brake dust an other stuff won't budge
These are good for really dirty wheels , but i found that mine are never dirty enough to need it. Also, once you've covered each wheel properly, you aren't long going through a bottle.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I love dragons breath by valetpro(I think). Stinks like nothing else, but does a brilliant job at shifting brake dust!
I'm pretty sure it's not acidic either, never paid attention to be honest though.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I love dragons breath by valetpro(I think). Stinks like nothing else, but does a brilliant job at shifting brake dust!
I'm pretty sure it's not acidic either, never paid attention to be honest though.
Yeah but it's only brake dust . As long as it's not baked on for 3 months it shouldn't really need a seperate product to remove (what is effectively just) dust.
I think those ones that change colour are quite deceiving as they react to iron , which brake dust basically is so you see the mad blast of colour and you think "oh wow , this is really good"
But if you used soapy water it may very well do the same thing except it's not as visible.

Someone should do a 50/50 test. I would but my wheels are rarely dirty and my van wheels aren't the best shape for a test.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.