Deep Black Pearl Golf R

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
I love an S3 but couldn't live with the dash, Absolooutly hate it.
Some really nice specced Rs on Autotrader these days(y)

I’ve never even been in one so purely basing my choice by pictures. Will need to drive one. Would still take another R if the right one comes up.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I looked at 2012 RS3's before I bought my 2014 8V S3 and you were having to spend upwards of £25k for a low mile example with bucket seats.

They are all pretty well spec'd from standard with main options being:

Black edition
Aluminium pack
Buckets
Cruise

More or less everything else was standard like flat bottom wheel, parking sensors, RNSE, bose, DSG, etc...

For £20k and looking at RS' I would be looking at a 8J TTRS which can now be got for that money

The one I went over to London to see in December 2016 is still for sale! It was MRC tuned stage 2 with around 440bhp - its still over £25k!!

There are 2/3 of them around Belfast, think JK Autospares have a white one for sale through Auto Q if I remember correctly

Dave..

RMS Regular
I looked at 2012 RS3's before I bought my 2014 8V S3 and you were having to spend upwards of £25k for a low mile example with bucket seats.

Black edition
Aluminium pack
Buckets
Cruise

More or less everything else was standard like flat bottom wheel, parking sensors, RNSE, bose, DSG, etc...

For £20k and looking at RS' I would be looking at a 8J TTRS which can now be got for that money

The one I went over to London to see in December 2016 is still for sale! It was MRC tuned stage 2 with around 440bhp - its still over £25k!!

There are 2/3 of them around Belfast, think JK Autospares have a white one for sale through Auto Q if I remember correctly
The one i looked at was expensive for being a well specced demo. The Golf R is probably easier bought.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE

Black edition
Aluminium pack
Buckets
Cruise

I’d pretty much ruled the RS3 out as I’m going to be strict with my budget. A TT wouldn’t be an option either as I need 3 rear seats. My absolute max is £20k and ideally I’d like to be under that. I’ll be using savings for most this (no point paying interest on a loan) and I have a few grand saved. I want to pay it back in as little time as possible (2 years). I’d be happy with a 2014 car if the right one came up but would prefer something with a bit of warranty left.
I’m going to give ALD a ring on Monday to see if their policy on buying at lease end has changed (unlikely) and also get an idea on how much it would cost to end the lease 5 months early. Would need to work out if it makes more financial sense to get out now by paying a penalty and buying a car and paying it off quicker.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Bear in mind the warranty can be extended.

Screenshot_20171109-201440.png

To extend the original VW warranty it's around £850 per year on a Golf R.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Not sure what fancy model of R you have, but my warranty was £330 a couple of weeks ago ;).

That's off VWs website right there. It is unlimited milage and all parts cover, so the top level of cover (with me doing 15k per year the other options didn't make any sense). Its also a genuine VW warranty extension so just as good as the original apparently.

I won't be paying for it on my car (very very long story) so the price doesn't bother me.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Yup, that’s what I got. Not sure how you’ve got it to £859.

No idea I just went and checked there and it's the same price I checked here Volkswagen.

Over 15k miles per year, all component cover and zero excess. Comes in at £847.

I've no idea how you got it that low!

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I’d pretty much ruled the RS3 out as I’m going to be strict with my budget. A TT wouldn’t be an option either as I need 3 rear seats. My absolute max is £20k and ideally I’d like to be under that. I’ll be using savings for most this (no point paying interest on a loan) and I have a few grand saved. I want to pay it back in as little time as possible (2 years). I’d be happy with a 2014 car if the right one came up but would prefer something with a bit of warranty left.
I’m going to give ALD a ring on Monday to see if their policy on buying at lease end has changed (unlikely) and also get an idea on how much it would cost to end the lease 5 months early. Would need to work out if it makes more financial sense to get out now by paying a penalty and buying a car and paying it off quicker.

Here was my process of ending up in a Golf R...................................

The 2016 Audi RS3 felt a little blunt to drive albeit with a great engine but the drive was not as engaging even though it cost more, like 10,000 more! Overall I didn't think it was any better than the Golf at a lot more money.

The current Focus RS has questionable reliability, a fidgety ride and all the pops and crackles from the exhaust would annoy me after a few months, plus I kind of had my head set by then on an auto. I'm getting to that age!

The Nissan Gtr is really fast but dull to drive and has pathetic back seat leg room so awkward for the kids and would be a bit OTT as a daily car I think.

The F80 M3 is brilliant but expensive especially as I'd want the 2016 competition model and it still has the traction problems of the E92 though with more low down usable power.

The 2015 Civic type R has a ridiculous body kit and I wasn't convinced I'd like front wheel drive again.

The 2016 Audi S3 was of interest but I only found 1 nice 2015 saloon I liked the look of in N.I.and it was sold when I called. For some reason I like the look of the saloon but not so much the hatch especially not in 5 dr

Hence DSG Golf R. Its comedy fast across good B roads with the Revo stage 1, is comfortable, 4WD for slippy roads which we have a lot of, doesn't look daft (see Civic thoughts above!), running shouldn't be a fortune and Phillips VW is close. Mine has keyless, pretoria's, DCC and Apple/ Android car play. Would have liked a winter pack but the spec was good and the car was great.

Maybe its still the honey moon period but I think its bloody brilliant(y)

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 R
Not far wrong @mike150 .
I didn't have as expansive list, but mine wasa down to a Golf R, the M135i or the A45 AMG.
Each had a really, really good pro and little cons, the R was probably in the middle for me but was the most sensible with 2 kids and playing a fair bit of golf.

@Philljdm - I think I had about 5 or 6 months left.

Dave..

RMS Regular
When I bought my R I had driven the Merc A45 and the RS3. I loved the Merc but the pedals were too close for my feet.
The RS3 was great but a long wait and very expensive. I drove the R for an hour and loved it and did the deal.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I didn't have as expansive list, but mine wasa down to a Golf R, the M135i or the A45 AMG.
Each had a really, really good pro and little cons, the R was probably in the middle for me but was the most sensible with 2 kids and playing a fair bit of golf.

More or less the same list as me when changing from my Scirocco R

M135i - test drove a couple, loved them but just thought they looked too bland
A45 AMG - never got to test one but they were out of my price range at the time. Loved the look of the A250 as well
Golf R - everyone had one and that was basically it
RS3 8P - only if my Scirocco sold I was dead set on getting one but then I thought of....
2011/2 RS5 - same price range as the RS3 and could only afford it if my scirocco sold

I went for the S3 based on previous history and just the fact that I love them and I'm an Audi snob lol with the money I have spent on it I could have afforded the RS5 or A45 lol or even an M4 by now but hey, I love it.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Rang ALD today to check if it would be an option to buy at the end of my lease, unfortunately it’s not. Pity as there’s one stone chip on my car so pretty much unmarked and I know how it’s been driven.
I asked about what it would cost to get out early but they are only able to generate a quote for the month you’re handing back. I’ll have to wait a couple of days until February to get a quote. However, if they base it on 52% of the remaining monthly payments (as per Chris’s post earlier) then it probably wouldn’t make any sense. I’ve 5 months left so it would cost me £730 and I’d have to hand the car back more or less right away. So for the sake of a few months I’m better seeing the lease out.