Deep Black Pearl Golf R

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
No way of finding out what they do with it nearer the end? Even if you knew what auction it was going to etc you'd have an advantage as you know the car.

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
Can you get a sale price from the auction house if you find out who it is going to be?

The reason I ask is that my clubvan was due to go back last year and I asked to buy it they gave me the details of the auction house in England who then gave me a price to buy it when I contacted them.

Lease company was alphabet.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Can you get a sale price from the auction house if you find out who it is going to be?

The reason I ask is that my clubvan was due to go back last year and I asked to buy it they gave me the details of the auction house in England who then gave me a price to buy it when I contacted them.

Lease company was alphabet.

Might be worth asking nearer the time I may be able to get a better spec one for my budget so not that fussed on chasing it through an auction house.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Rang ALD today to check if it would be an option to buy at the end of my lease, unfortunately it’s not. Pity as there’s one stone chip on my car so pretty much unmarked and I know how it’s been driven.
I asked about what it would cost to get out early but they are only able to generate a quote for the month you’re handing back. I’ll have to wait a couple of days until February to get a quote. However, if they base it on 52% of the remaining monthly payments (as per Chris’s post earlier) then it probably wouldn’t make any sense. I’ve 5 months left so it would cost me £730 and I’d have to hand the car back more or less right away. So for the sake of a few months I’m better seeing the lease out.

This is the most daft thing ever, cannot get my head around why they wouldn't be happy to sell the car to you.

Obviously some reason behind it but it's just weird.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
This is the most daft thing ever, cannot get my head around why they wouldn't be happy to sell the car to you.

Obviously some reason behind it but it's just weird.

I’m guessing they just want to move them on without any liability so send them to auction.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Stupid, it will cost them money due to the percentage fee for putting it though the auction plus the shipping and handling fees or they could just let you have it for the expected auction price minus all costs and save themselves hassle.

Last edited:

JordanT

RMS Member
Drives
2016 Golf R, TVR
My last lease went through VW Financial Services. Collected the car from Liverpool, drove to Cairnryan and got the ferry home. 2 years and 20k miles later it was collected from my work and brought to Wilson's in Mallusk (50 meters away from my work). Hammer price on the car was £18500. The car was all standard spec, tornado red manual. Now have a Night Blue DSG.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
A fair few appear on BCA, you often see listings from lease firms.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
My last lease went through VW Financial Services. Collected the car from Liverpool, drove to Cairnryan and got the ferry home. 2 years and 20k miles later it was collected from my work and brought to Wilson's in Mallusk (50 meters away from my work). Hammer price on the car was £18500. The car was all standard spec, tornado red manual. Now have a Night Blue DSG.

Are there any fees on top of the hammer price?

Potential for a bargain

Potential for me to get caught up in “Auction Fever” and pay way over the odds!

I’m seriously contemplating saving £5K and buying a 2012 ish S3 and getting it mapped by Revo. Springs, spacers, Revo and good tyres = jab done. I’d have about 300bhp which is honestly plenty. I could sell my JB1 / JB4 that I have in a box under the bed and get a few hundred back. Head is melted FFS!

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
S3. TTS is the same car underneath and the Golf isn’t worth £8k more.

I might have to torture you about spec etc Ian as I know nowt about them. No idea what all that RNSE nonsense is. Just want (as a minimum) Xenons, cruise, parking sensors, Nav would be nice, Bluetooth and some way of playing Apple Music off my phone. Not massively fussed on the 2 tone leather if I’m honest either. Bose would be a nice to have option but not essential.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Well, useless knowledge about VAG options is my forte so ask away!

I fitted an RNSE in the TTS but in the end I removed it and just fitted an aftermarket unit. I deliberated over it for ages because the OEM in me didn’t want to go down that route, but I’m so glad I did. up to date music playback yet still retaining steering controls etc was a delight. My car didn’t have Bose, but the amp in the aftermarket unit transformed the sound too.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Well, useless knowledge about VAG options is my forte so ask away!

I fitted an RNSE in the TTS but in the end I removed it and just fitted an aftermarket unit. I deliberated over it for ages because the OEM in me didn’t want to go down that route, but I’m so glad I did. up to date music playback yet still retaining steering controls etc was a delight. My car didn’t have Bose, but the amp in the aftermarket unit transformed the sound too.

I’ve a few months to do my research so I’ll be doing your head in!
I’ll need to get a drive in an 8P but I’m guessing it won’t be that much different from my Golf. Given I’ll like only hold onto it for a year or 18 months, maybe spending a bit less is the best option. I think reading through the downgrade thread started me thinking that spending £20k on a car was maybe a bit much given what you can get for £5K less.

JordanT

RMS Member
Drives
2016 Golf R, TVR
S3. TTS is the same car underneath and the Golf isn’t worth £8k more.
Where did you find the Golf £8k more? I would have thought at the same mileage the Golf would be cheaper?

Are there any fees on top of the hammer price?

AFAIK Wilson's charge a buyers fee (not sure on the exact figure and VAT (which I think may only be on the buyers fee)

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Nothing of note other than a clean today. I’d been shamed into washing the Golf due to people commenting on how bad it was, couldn’t read the rear number plate!
I haven’t had much luck with the touchless wash due to me being a lazy heure and killing the EXO top coat by not washing it :blush: I tried to rescue it by using the fallout remover / citrus wash process as per my earlier post but the damage was done and the EXO had lost its hydrophobic properties. However, I had much more success with the touchless wash today (likely due to the reactivation process) and managed to get great results (y) Did the usual Articulate then Ultrafoam then rinse. I gave the car another going over with Articulate again (still seemed to have some dirt still clinging to the paint) then rinsed and the result was much better than before. Still needs a proper wash but I’m happy with the results I got today.
I should add here that even though the EXO has stopped working, the Crystal Serum Light is still doing its job. There are very few swirls on the paint, if any (y) I dare say if the paint was given a very light going over with a finishing pad and a fresh coat of EXO applied it would be as good as it was when it was first coated.
Few pics that really don’t show much!

6186CA90-A204-486D-B3D0-5E68C7040FA6.jpeg

1D6CC0DB-1F37-4664-8D44-253BF8D34B63.jpeg

B271C4D7-3C02-484E-8022-F440328212D6.jpeg

E9663544-09B4-49CA-BE32-E2F0D57EF4C8.jpeg

The Nokian winter tyres have been superb (y) Had a few tests in the Glen’s of Antrim and around the 4 Winds in snow and ice and they have faultless. Not even a flicker from the TC. Worth the money for me. We also have Nokian winters on the Mini and again they have been fantastic.