EU Green Card

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
So what do those nasty Europeans need in terms of legal document to drive in the UK ? Do they need anything ?
We got an email in work today explaining all the hoops we have to jump through to drive in the EU & ROI after 29th. It also stated that Irish citizens working for us would NOT require any additional paperwork to continue driving in NI.

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
I was told by my insurance company that you had to order one for every trip as they are only valid for 15 days.

Anybody else come across this? Does it stipulate anything like that on the green cards that have already shown up?

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I was told by my insurance company that you had to order one for every trip as they are only valid for 15 days.

Anybody else come across this? Does it stipulate anything like that on the green cards that have already shown up?
Minimum 15 days, mines valid until policy ends

Gaz86

RMS Regular
So what do those nasty Europeans need in terms of legal document to drive in the UK ? Do they need anything ?

Can't vouch for other European countries but apparently we need a green card to drive in the south but ROI drivers do not need a green card to drive in the north 🤔 lol Interesting logic there!
If anything I was hoping for a reduction in dodgy southern drivers in the North (most seemingly couldn't drive their finger up their ronson and are a liability)

"If you hold a motor insurance policy as a resident of the Republic of Ireland, you won’t need a Green Card to drive in NI, as your insurance certificate will be accepted as proof of valid cover"
Taken from Driving cross-border and the Green Card | nidirect

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5

Mines from 29th March until my policy expires in Dec.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Admiral said:

As you are a resident of Northern Ireland, we will be sending you a Green Card by post in due course. In the event of a no deal Brexit it may become necessary for residents of Northern Ireland to have a Green Card when travelling to The Republic of Ireland. You will still have the same level of cover you enjoy in the United Kingdom but may need to show the Green Card when crossing the border.

What is a Green Card?
A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which proves that your UK Motor insurance policy provides you with the minimum compulsory insurance cover required by the law of the country you’re visiting.

In addition to the basic cover the Green Card gives you, we will also match all the additional benefits of your policy for up to 90 days in the countries listed below.

Where will your policy cover you after March 29th?
Once we have issued you with a Green Card, your policy will cover you when driving in the following areas after 29th March:
• Countries in the European Union (EU)
• Countries in the European Economic Area (EEA)
• Switzerland
• Andorra
• Serbia

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Flux haven't a clue whats going on. Complete confusion. Asking me to ring ahead if I'm planning on crossing the border and will only be allowing 30 days max, but with 15 days minimum on a green card it would mean two trips across the border in a year and I'm done. Hilarious.

They're calling back next week when they've had a chance to think about it.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Flux haven't a clue whats going on. Complete confusion. Asking me to ring ahead if I'm planning on crossing the border and will only be allowing 30 days max, but with 15 days minimum on a green card it would mean two trips across the border in a year and I'm done. Hilarious.

I'm with Flux also. That's madness that some companies haven't a scooby what's going on, this is most likely the only implication of Brexit that will affect them and most don't seem to have even looked into it. Allowing a maximum 30 day green card is also madness for us living somewhere thats no more than 90 minutes from the EU boarder. I understand in general, most of their customers are on the mainland and will never drive in the EU, but for us it should be a 365 day green card.

garyo

RMS Regular
Can't vouch for other European countries but apparently we need a green card to drive in the south but ROI drivers do not need a green card to drive in the north 🤔 lol Interesting logic there!
If anything I was hoping for a reduction in dodgy southern drivers in the North (most seemingly couldn't drive their finger up their ronson and are a liability)

"If you hold a motor insurance policy as a resident of the Republic of Ireland, you won’t need a Green Card to drive in NI, as your insurance certificate will be accepted as proof of valid cover"
Taken from Driving cross-border and the Green Card | nidirect

I've heard many times on Irish Radio that they will need a Green Card...think the only thing we can be sure about is nobody seems to know! Worth remembering it is all in the event of a no-deal, so might never happen, but I'm gonna ring this morning here and get one sorted. From speaking to them a while back mine will provide fully comp until the end of my policy given that I travel across every day.

If there is a no-deal Brexit on March 29th, then any motorist who plans on driving their Irish-registered vehicle in Northern Ireland or the UK is advised to ensure they have a Green Card or they could be subjected to the penalties for driving uninsured after that date.

Taken from this article, from 3 weeks ago though...

There's a guy Conor Faughnan who is a regular on all things motoring across Irish radio and press, he's from AA Ireland and always seems to talk a lot of sense. He was actually on a local NW station a few weeks back telling people not to panic as AA/MIBI/Oireachtas were doing a lot of work behind the scenes to put conditions in place to ensure nobody was caught out on the 30th. I must take a look and see if he's updated his stance at all over recent weeks.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'm with Flux also. That's madness that some companies haven't a scooby what's going on, this is most likely the only implication of Brexit that will affect them and most don't seem to have even looked into it. Allowing a maximum 30 day green card is also madness for us living somewhere thats no more than 90 minutes from the EU boarder. I understand in general, most of their customers are on the mainland and will never drive in the EU, but for us it should be a 365 day green card.

She kept going on about travelling to France. I told her that normally people from the UK wouldn't pop to France for lunch or to go for a walk, so it's slightly different. She also said that they must legally provide minimum cover, so not to worry about it. So basic 3rd party cover and free reign for the Gards to lift the car?

I think they're waiting on confirmation of a delay to Brexit so are kicking the can down the road until Monday and then are going to ring me back. Supposedly.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

Lol, Directline were the same.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
She kept going on about travelling to France. I told her that normally people from the UK wouldn't pop to France for lunch or to go for a walk, so it's slightly different. She also said that they must legally provide minimum cover, so not to worry about it. So basic 3rd party cover and free reign for the Gards to lift the car?

I think they're waiting on confirmation of a delay to Brexit so are kicking the can down the road until Monday and then are going to ring me back. Supposedly.

So you aren’t covered fully comp in the south either?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
So you aren’t covered fully comp in the south either?

Only for 30 days. Which would be defined by two green cards.

Tbh I don't think they've thought it through at all so probably need to cobble together a policy with their insurers.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR

It sounds like it's more confusing after speaking to them. I wonder what AxaNI are doing about it, thats who the other half is with.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
I've heard many times on Irish Radio that they will need a Green Card...think the only thing we can be sure about is nobody seems to know! Worth remembering it is all in the event of a no-deal, so might never happen, but I'm gonna ring this morning here and get one sorted. From speaking to them a while back mine will provide fully comp until the end of my policy given that I travel across every day.

Taken from this article, from 3 weeks ago though...

There's a guy Conor Faughnan who is a regular on all things motoring across Irish radio and press, he's from AA Ireland and always seems to talk a lot of sense. He was actually on a local NW station a few weeks back telling people not to panic as AA/MIBI/Oireachtas were doing a lot of work behind the scenes to put conditions in place to ensure nobody was caught out on the 30th. I must take a look and see if he's updated his stance at all over recent weeks.

Well that's not at all confusing lol The whole thing is a mess. I rarely go over the border anyway so it won't have much impact on me either way.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Well that's not at all confusing lol The whole thing is a mess. I rarely go over the border anyway so it won't have much impact on me either way.

Bar the road 500 yards from where you live which is half full of Mexicans travelling up North. Wouldn't fancy getting into a claim situation past 29th March with any of them.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Would make you wonder if they realised before all this how often people crossed the border for work, social etc

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Bar the road 500 yards from where you live which is half full of Mexicans travelling up North. Wouldn't fancy getting into a claim situation past 29th March with any of them.

I have regular handlings with them at Sprucefield with them being in the wrong lane and cutting in front at the start of the A1

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Churchill sent my sister a green card, Zenith yet to send me one for the car

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6

I'd listen to Today FM in the car and the Irish government have been very good with communicating potential changes, etc. for people to be aware of in relation to No Deal.

Irish Revenue and other agencies have also been in constant contact with us (logistics) meanwhile trying to even get an email back from HMRC and the likes has been... difficult.