F1 2018 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevyg

RMS Regular
I’d bet money Max ends up taking someone out tomorrow trying to impatiently get through the field. Blinding lap from Ricciardo, must feel good to get the fastest lap ever around Monaco. Expecting a safety car or two tomorrow but it’s Dans to lose.

scub

Banned
is it only me that finds Steve Jones to be a total & absolute bell end ?
to the point of turning over to sky!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Didn't see the race, but apart from Ricciardo's engine problem it sounds like it was even worse than the usually dire Monaco weekend.

Not taking anything away from Ricciardo, but it says an awful lot about the "racing" if you can hold off everyone else for most of the race with 25% drop in power ..

They need to cancel this event, or run it using karts or something. It's completely pointless as it is...

Roll on Canada!

scub

Banned
Didn't see the race, but apart from Ricciardo's engine problem it sounds like it was even worse than the usually dire Monaco weekend.

Not taking anything away from Ricciardo, but it says an awful lot about the "racing" if you can hold off everyone else for most of the race with 25% drop in power ..

They need to cancel this event, or run it using karts or something. It's completely pointless as it is...

Roll on Canada!
if you can't appreciate what Monaco brings to f1 it's time you started watching a riveting sport like bowls or cycling .

stevyg

RMS Regular
I enjoy Monaco because of the spectacle and everything that goes on around the race, as for the race itself, if it were anywhere else it would have been canned a long time ago. That was probably one of the most boring Monaco races ever, no MGU-K not even enough power to get out of 6th gear and still able to comfortably win is nonsense. You could hear everyone complain that the race pace was so slow. I’m still not sure why drivers count a Monaco win as such a feather in their cap. Anyways congrats to Dan for holding on and winning the race, I lol’d at Horner comparing it to Schumachers 1994 Spanish GP win. What a moron.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Good summary by Palmer:
Monaco GP: Jolyon Palmer column - Is it time to make changes?

I don't think things like tinkering with DRS is really going to fix it. Mandatory pit stops would be even worse, might as well roll a dice as it wouldn't be possible to control where cars re-joined and they would not be able to pass to make up for the stop either.

It's not specific to this race either, it has been like this for a long time at Monaco. Barring a crash they finish in the order they start. The cars are simply too big for the circuit. Short of switching to carts for the Monaco weekend there will never be any actual racing.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Good summary by Palmer:
Monaco GP: Jolyon Palmer column - Is it time to make changes?

I don't think things like tinkering with DRS is really going to fix it. Mandatory pit stops would be even worse, might as well roll a dice as it wouldn't be possible to control where cars re-joined and they would not be able to pass to make up for the stop either.

It's not specific to this race either, it has been like this for a long time at Monaco. Barring a crash they finish in the order they start. The cars are simply too big for the circuit. Short of switching to carts for the Monaco weekend there will never be any actual racing.

Good to see Palmer can write an ok article, certainly much better than his F1 career...

I actually thought the race wasn't as dull as usual Monaco. Still I would not like to see it removed from the calemdar, it's just part of F1, and a part that should not be removed.

Maybe to make it more exciting bring back Maldonado and other guest drivers in addition to the grid. I for one would love to see Taki Inoue back in a F1 car for a laugh!

simy

RMS Regular
Pretty much the only thing keeping me interested these days is the best of on boards on YT.
Often paints a different picture than what you see when watching a race.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
As boring as the race as a TV spectacle is at Monaco I can help but be impressed at the work rate the drivers put in just to get round there at speed. Riccardo had to do some serious car management with brake bias, modes and temperatures all while skimming walls. No matter how bad the racing itself is I'm guessing that's why by in large the drivers still love the challenge of it.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Maybe make it a shoot out contest, like an extended qualifying, with the last session covering a few laps each and then call it a day :innocent:

Agree quali is usually good when they go flat out on that tight circuit.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Verstappen needs some good races under his belt, Kyvat got bucked out of the senior team for less couple of years ago, Christian Horner's comments after the crash in FP3 are a warning as plain as day.
Hoping he finds the balance or risk vs reward in Canada

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Verstappen needs some good races under his belt, Kyvat got bucked out of the senior team for less couple of years ago, Christian Horner's comments after the crash in FP3 are a warning as plain as day.
Hoping he finds the balance or risk vs reward in Canada

The Monaco one is something that happens every year to someone on that corner. It’s the rest before get are the real issue I think.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
He is the golden boy at RB though, can't see them dropping him any time soon. Contracted for a couple of years for starters.

Ricciardo is in a very good place right now as well, that will add more pressure on Max. He does need to get his head back on.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
He gave Vettel a hard enough time when they were in the same car :innocent: He is good enough to get there with the right machinery.

Is he good enough to become a team lead and multiple world champ like Vettel/Lewis/Alonso? Don't know, that's about so much more than "just" driving. Don't know if Max is either to be honest. At the moment Daniel is doing all the hard work at RB, and getting the results.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.