F1 2019: ALL CHAT HERE

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Well that turned out well, lol :cool:

Bit of luck from Mercedes, but Lewis drove for that, staying with the Ferraris on slower tyres at the start and then finishing off with the fastest lap and a new lap record to boot. Neither Leclerk nor Max could match that, and not for lack of trying.

Says a lot how good the Ferraris are though, that it took that much effort to get ahead.

Ferrari - well, that was just weird with Vettel and Charles at the start, lol. A deal is a deal, if one driver can't keep their end then there is a big problem.

I think the team played it well in the end. But the whole thing says a lot about the state of Vettel.

I thought Albon was fantastic, what a recovery drive! Driver of the day for me.

Bryan

RMS Regular
Well that turned out well, lol :cool:

Bit of luck from Mercedes, but Lewis drove for that, staying with the Ferraris on slower tyres at the start and then finishing off with the fastest lap and a new lap record to boot. Neither Leclerk nor Max could match that, and not for lack of trying.

Says a lot how good the Ferraris are though, that it took that much effort to get ahead.

Ferrari - well, that was just weird with Vettel and Charles at the start, lol. A deal is a deal, if one driver can't keep their end then there is a big problem.

I think the team played it well in the end. But the whole thing says a lot about the state of Vettel.

I thought Albon was fantastic, what a recovery drive! Driver of the day for me.

What exactly was all that nonsense from Ferrari at the start anyway? To me it looked like Vettel got ahead of Leclerc fair and square? If he wants past then overtake him... I'm not a Vettel fan but I wanted to see him get a good result after his poor streak of performance.

Albon was brilliant and I loved his pass on Gasly - very much a "slap it up you" moment.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
What exactly was all that nonsense from Ferrari at the start anyway? To me it looked like Vettel got ahead of Leclerc fair and square? If he wants past then overtake him... I'm not a Vettel fan but I wanted to see him get a good result after his poor streak of performance.

They had an agreement to work together at the start. Charles gave Vettel a tow and let him through at turn one to make sure sure the Mercs stayed behind. Charles actually pulled out to let Vettel through (drafting up behind) instead of the both of them tangling up at the first corner and risking having Mercs piling through.

The deal was, apparently, that Vettel would let Charles back through again after. He didn't. Charles couldn't get closer under own power because he was sitting in the turbulent air behind Vettel in the same car.

So Ferrari did the switcheroo at the pit stop instead, making sure Charles came out in front of Vettel.

Not much to write home about really, other than if you make a deal and don't hold up your end then there will be trouble down the line. Not the first time and probably not the last either from Vettel, but hey ho, Karma sorted it out.

Would have been good if his engine didn't fail, then we would have seen who was really faster...

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
Wasn't totally boring, the first half was great. Ferrari are acting like a bunch of gimps, let them race they drama-ed all over themselves. Leclerc needs to stop whining, I thought he said after the last race that he wouldn’t be so vocal over the radio? He surely couldn’t expect his faster team mate to let him by out of the kindness of his heart? Does he not remember multi-21? Shame about Vettel retiring, I would’ve loved to see him catch Charles after the team swapped them in the pits.
Hard to pick a driver of the day, Vettel was awesome until his retirement 3 fastest laps in a row pulling away from Charles but then again so did Hamilton and he pumped in 3 fastest laps in a row too then 2 more at the end, Albon had a stunning drive he's holding his own at RB and Bottas really surprised me not putting a foot wrong with a Ferrari behind on fresher tyres that beat him by over 1s a lap in qualifying. Good job from him. The Vettel retirement helped Mercedes but if he didn’t retire, Russells brakes would’ve still failed and the SC would have came out putting Mercedes in the same position. That’s an advantage of starting on the Medium, they got to run that much longer. Ferrari tried to take advantage of the SC losing track position just never worked out. Vettel will take a little comfort knowing he was the faster man but he’s got to be pissed Charles got a podium and he retired. Sainz had a great drive. Grosjean had his 7th retirement of the season, and he has a drive for next year? Dear o dear what are Haas thinking?
Big news McLaren going to Mercedes in 2021, surprised me since they seem to be getting some form back with Renault and it's strange to announce that so soon when they have another year with Renault.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Vettel wasn't faster. He was just ahead and Leclerk stuck behind in the turbulence.

And the only reason Vettel was in front was because Leclerk let him through rather than block and get them both tangled up in the first corner bringing the Mercs into play. That part was actually good strategy from Ferrari with Vettel sitting behind Leclerk at the start.

I suppose fair enough that they didn't switch on track as they were too far apart. But Ferrari swapped them at the pit stops instead, same thing in the end.

We won't know who was actually fastest of the two because of the engine failure, but on recent form I know which way I would bet, lol - the only times it has gone Vettel's way this year has been when he got a big helping hand from the team 😇

Anyway, all academic anyway, Merc would have had a safety car either way. Rolled the dice and it worked out this time but it took a massive effort plus a bit of luck.

Ferrari are here to stay, and so is Charles - Vettel just has to get used to being number two in the team :cool:

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
I don't think there was much he could do about Vettel at the start, if he tried to block him then Hamilton would have got a run. He didn't have another option but we'll never know how it would've ended if they both stayed out, probably in a wheel bang or two. I do think Vettel was out to prove a point, he was never going to give the place back. Charles is definitely the new star his qualifying form is quite frankly amazing but I'm not writing off Vettel just yet, he's not going to hand the baton over easily with the same car under him. All that being said, Lewis only needs 58 points to mathematically win the championship so Ferrari don't need to throw everything at the rest of this season. Looking forward to Suzuka though, Ferrari seem to have figured out the mid-speed set-up and RB should be decent there too. Good news is it looks like Sochi will be moved to St Petersburg in 2021. Maybe they will have a better track, they could build a worse one but that would be hard.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
One of the best races you will likely see.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Dullest race in a good while, lol 😅

Bottas didn't put a foot wrong, well done.

Seb did ok for a change, not a bad drive at all.

Lewis really didn't have either lady luck nor his own team on side, lol.

Charles messed up in quite a bit way, lucky to get away with that whoopsie at the start. Racing incident to me. Always funny when Max gets upset with getting squeezed, he's done far worse to others and got away with it.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Dullest race in a good while, lol 😅

Bottas didn't put a foot wrong, well done.

Seb did ok for a change, not a bad drive at all.

Lewis really didn't have either lady luck nor his own team on side, lol.

Charles messed up in quite a bit way, lucky to get away with that whoopsie at the start. Racing incident to me. Always funny when Max gets upset with getting squeezed, he's done far worse to others and got away with it.

He ended up with a 15 second penalty

A71C1998-38BC-491C-8974-58D8BE1FC7CB.png

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I think Le Clerc got off pretty light. That was potentially a black flag, not the crash itself, but driving round with badly damaged bodywork. Hamilton was lucky that it was only his mirror that he lost from the debris of Le Clerc’s car, could have been much worse for the car and crucially for Hamilton’s physical being!
But I feel Ferrari International Assistance was a little bit at play there!
Bottas made a cold blooded blinding start and capitalised on Vettel’s error, so fair play to him. Now if he could just drive that way more consistently and we’d have a much more exciting season I feel.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
Bottas made a cold blooded blinding start and capitalised on Vettel’s error, so fair play to him. Now if he could just drive that way more consistently and we’d have a much more exciting season I feel.

Since the championship is over for everyone bar VB and LH, id love to see VB turning on VB 2.1 and having a no ******* about last 4 races...hes obv got it in him.

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
An interesting weekend for sure. Typhoon, Sunday qualifying, false start, false ending, dropped investigation reopened....strange! I'm sure the drivers were knackered on Sunday night, qualy & race on the same day and holding those cars down with all that wind I'm sure was tough. Not sure I understand the false start rule and the FIA won't say because they don't want teams exploiting the rules to move within the tolerances at the start and not get detected. Good news for Perez that the race was accidentally ended 1 lap early so he keeps his points finish.
Nice win for Bottas he was on fire all weekend and kept his head down. Good confidence booster for him. Vettel snuffed the start but I'm not sure he would have been able to hold on, he done well to bag 2nd place. Well done on pole position too, he's got some mojo back. Hamilton could have easily won had the team left him out, 9 second lead his tyres had 70% life left (cool graphic btw) and there was only 11 laps left. Bottas was never going to catch him as he was only pulling a few tenths per lap. Why would you bring in the leader of the race to pit knowing he would drop behind Vettel? That was a very very weird pit call. There was another 12 seconds to Vettel so they would have secured the 1-2 and the championship instead of relying on Lewis to get the fastest lap.
Charles had a great comeback through the field but that didn't make up for his error at the start and the team leaving him out with damage like that. That was silly, a well deserved penalty and it was still pretty lenient imo. Shame Max had too much damage to continue. Albon, Sainz & Ricciardo all had great races. Williams need an intervention of mass proportion. This is what they can do with a Mercedes engine :rolleyes:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.