F1 2019: ALL CHAT HERE

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
fastest Lap bonus point And chance at constructors world championship?
Only the yellow flag caused by Perez stopped Charles from getting fastest lap at the end. It was a very obscure choice to pit Hamilton. This is the lap they called him to pit
A57D6950-0822-429C-9954-B24CA7645FED.png

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Can only imagine they decided a guaranteed 1-3 and the constructor's championship in the bag was better than rolling the dice for a possible 1-2, but also a perfectly possible 1-5 and no championship in the bag.

These tyres look good and then suddenly they're gone and half the field piles by in a couple of laps.

It's the only reasoning I can see. Kind of makes sense.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Turned off after lap 6 off the highlights.

Surely any movement before the lights off is false.

If he kept moving yes, rules say if he came to a stop again before the lights went out then moved after they went out then it’s not a false start

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Technically have to be inside the box, and stationary, when the lights go out.

A better rule might be they must be stationary from the green lights come on until the red light goes out. But that's apparently not what the rule book says (I haven't actually read it), you just have to be stationary when the red lights go out.

So yes, he did jump the start but got off on a technicality.

Didn't gain anything though. Because he actually came to a stop again he flunked the start.

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
The FIA have allowances for movement when the clutch engages and different clutch settings the drivers select at the start make the car jerk forward so you are allowed movement but the FIA can't tell the teams how much movement they allow because they say the teams will find a way to exploit that rule and get a jump at the start. We just have to believe them. We usually don't see jump starts but we've seen a few this year that highlight the problem. He got enough of a penalty I agree but it seems like people still don't understand the rule.

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
Dan & Nico had to know about that...bad news to get caught cheating. Doesn't look for Renault corporate, they have enough troubles in F1.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Ah, I wondered how RP got wind of it.

Apparently it was not technically in breach of technical regulations, they were working around the rules same as anyone else. No worse than the dodgy Ferrari energy recovery system, etc.

Car was cleared before the race.

Renault then thrown out using the sporting rules instead after the race. So basically whatever the F1 equivalent of the catch-all "unsportsmanlike behaviour" might be.

Not sure what to make of that, lol.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Didn't see the RB would be that quick, stunning laps by Max.

Except for passing a stricken Bottas, with marshals on track and double yellow flags, without slowing down. That's not on.

Even less so wherry you're dumb enough to actually admit on TV that's what you did 😅🙈

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
he’s got a grid place penalty for the qually lap

Good, hopefully will teach him a lesson. I personally think he should be at the back of the grid but then I did marshal for years and was near hit by a driver who claimed to not have seen the multiple yellow flags they drove past so might have a slightly different view from most.

If you see double waved yellows you need to slow down and be prepared to stop on track as there may very well be marshals on the track not think 'well I'm one of the world's best drivers in one of the world's best cars it will be fine to keep going flat out'. I'm sure the volunteer marshal would not be thinking the same if he hit them when they were trying to assist a colleague in need of help.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Shows the sorry state of affairs when it boils down to pitting first and 45 laps on a set of tyres.

**** Formula 1

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Actually for us weirdos out there who enjoy a really good strategic race that's exactly what we got, it was actually pretty good that way.

Except everyone got it a bit wrong, lol 😇

Ferrari managed to throw away a guaranteed 1-2 all by themselves. Again. That was just strange.

Listening to the in car with Vettel they clearly have a problem with trust, and hence don't fully commit. All that arguing from the cockpit instead of trusting the team. So you get a half baked strategy run from the cockpit.

Compare to Lewis and Mercedes. They just do what the team decide to do, fully commit, and then deal with the consequences after. Yes, Lewis sometimes asks why, etc., that's fair enough. But at the end of the day whatever the pit strategy is that's what all the team commit to and adjust accordingly.

Mercedes took a huge gamble with Lewis. It looked seriously dodgy at the time, and it was, lol. But pitting that early meant he jumped to the front and could cruise away without having to spend the tyres trying to overtake.

It was still a mammoth task to nurse those tyres all that distance so credit where credit is due. It was the only way they could win. The team rolled the dice, everyone committed, and this time it paid off.

Last weekend in Japan they did the opposite. They played for a safe third for Lewis to guarantee the constructor's championship rather than gambling on a high risk 1-2. Lewis didn't like it but once the call was made he committed.

Max had the pace to win but Lady Luck definitely not with him today.

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.