F1 2020

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
its to do with steering modes, and potentially ride height etc etc

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Could be literally anything. Or nothing. Surely any sort of aid is banned anyway? Would be pushing the boat out given the palaver over that sort of thing in the past. If that is what it is. Which it may or may not be, lol :innocent:

Still a bit interesting :cool:

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
its something, and its to do with steering or camber someone has noticed.
Merc have said its not just for testing and its part of the car, apparently the tech director is part of the press conf later

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I suppose aids that have been banned in the past have had to do with controlling aero in various forms.

No idea if something like that is illegal or not, but bound to be contested, lol. Unless everyone can copy it quickly and just all stay quiet 😁

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
If it adjusts the suspension, it’s illegal @pablo.

Not sure it does though. Fantastic innovation regardless.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Obviously they must have run it past FIA. Doesn't mean it won't be contested now it's out in the open.

Probably pushing the boundaries.

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3

It pulls the toe of the front wheels in for ‘straight line gains’ apparently. Probably does more but that’s it until we get a proper video

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I understood it to adjust the toe as to stop the standard toe-out from scrubbing the tyres on straights thus lengthening the tyre life in turn allowing them to push the tyres harder.

stevyg

RMS Regular
Very cool from Mercedes with the new rear and DAS. Good to see they are still pushing. If any of you have really tried to set up your track car you know how frustrating it is trying to get everything right working with toe, camber, caster, sway, anti-roll and then trying to figure out variable bump steer, tie rods, main & tender spring settings with 5+ way damper controls, ride height and stiffness etc etc. I can't even imagine the engineering that went into a floating steering wheel that adjusts like that on the fly, blows my mind the minute angle adjustments that have to all work together with the aero.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
To be honest I'm with Vettel on the steering thing. Probably not going to be all that effective for the added complexity and added workload for the driver. Most likely something they are just playing with in testing. Or even just a smokescreen to keep eyes away from something else :innocent:

Time will tell I guess.

The redesigned rear and aero changes there look much more interesting!

Quite keen for the first race now and see what's what 😁

stevyg

RMS Regular
I reckon it will give Mercedes a couple MPH top speed (they need it) neutralizing the toe on the long straights and will allow them to manage the tyre temps even better now the driver has some control of scrubbing with the toe in or out. You're right it's not the golden ticket to winning a championship but as Tesco say- every little helps and in F1 it's all about the little gains. Now the FIA say it's legal, we'll see if the other teams scramble to develop their own ^o)

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Check sky f1. Ted just did a great piece on it.
Mercedes DAS or dual axis steering. Allows driver to manually alter front toe.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
To be honest I'm with Vettel on the steering thing. Probably not going to be all that effective for the added complexity and added workload for the driver. Most likely something they are just playing with in testing. Or even just a smokescreen to keep eyes away from something else :innocent:

Time will tell I guess.

The redesigned rear and aero changes there look much more interesting!

Quite keen for the first race now and see what's what 😁
It would be a lot of engineering and expense just to use as a smoke screen. Will be interesting if it makes it through testing and whether it’ll be banned or not.

quite a cool trick tho to do something like that, that’s just simply involves pulling the steering wheel back to adjust the toe and yet keep everything strong and stable and not move/self adjust under normal load

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.