F1 2020

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Yep, I thought without looking the Lotus Renault Raikonen win at Abu Dhabi (the "yes, yes, I know what I'm doing" one) would have been the last but it wasn't the last race that year. It just goes to show you really need to be in the right team to have any impact on the championship.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Basically since the hybrid engines it's been two rule the world and everyone else customers. It's just way too expensive and complicated for anyone other than a fully commited manufacturer to even attempt.

That said, F1 has always had one or two dominating teams in any given season for the most part. So that isn't really new.

It's just worse than it has ever been before. Even Ferrari are struggling to keep up with costs and tech. Frankly so are Merc.

Next major rule change could see them pull the plug.

The costs of running under static regs has been astronomical. Building to a major new set of regs would be off the charts in cost and require a commitment for another decade in the sport to recoup. I don't know if the Daimler board has the stomach for that any more.

Add in the almost complete lack of any actual racing.

Which would leave effectively one team and the rest customers.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I think they need to look at helping out the smaller teams.
Giving the well funded teams the largest portion of the prize money just pushes them further away from the lower teams.
And with qualifying they line the cars up in pretty much speed order so that the fast cars have a free track in front of them and they streak off into the distance.

They either need to all get the same prize money, or they need to totally turn it on its head with the lowest team in the championship getting the most prize money. They should also allow the lowest team more time in the wind tunnel, and more testing days to allow them to reduce the gap to the front.

I'd also get rid of qualifying. Start the race in reverse championship order. Let the best driver prove they are the best driver by them having to make all the overtakes.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Interesting, cue the rumour mill :innocent:

I'd love to see Sainz get a shot, one of the most underrated drivers on the grid I think. Thoroughly nice chap too. Would be a great pairing for Leclerc.

Ricciardo alongside Leclerc would be interesting, lol. They would both be up for it! Don't think Ferrari would though.

Gio would be a safe but disappointing choice, can't see him challenging.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I'd like to see Ricciardo get it, but I think the Ferrari bods are lining up LeClerc as the #1 so that wouldn't suit Ricciardo I would imagine.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Sainz is their man. Vettel to McLaren.
As a massive Vettel fan I'd rather see him retire than lower himself to drive for that shower at McLaren. They'll have folded in a few years if they keep going down their current business ethic.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
McLaren will be the team to make the ‘big 3’ a ‘big 4’.

With Mercedes-Benz power next year they will be much closer. IMO.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
As a massive Vettel fan I'd rather see him retire than lower himself to drive for that shower at McLaren. They'll have folded in a few years if they keep going down their current business ethic.

what is their ethic? just curious because i dont know much about them as a team. im the same, i woke up to this and its ruined my day a tiny bit[/QUOTE]

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
In alternate universe Vettel would be leaving Ferrari having equalled Schumacher’s 7 WDC. Alas he’s leaving with his own reputation damaged and no obvious destination.

Ferrari are b*stardss.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
what is their ethic? just curious because i dont know much about them as a team. im the same, i woke up to this and its ruined my day a tiny bit
[/QUOTE]
It's the road car side of the business that is most of the issue, but of course the two feed off each other. The road car side could bring down the whole thing in due course. Well documented on the internetz what a shame it's becoming. The arse has fallen out of the price of their cars used value which speaks volumes.

Robert

RMS Trader
I'd like to see Ricciardo get it, but I think the Ferrari bods are lining up LeClerc as the #1 so that wouldn't suit Ricciardo I would imagine.

I think LeClerc is lining himself up as the #1 in Ferrari going by his attitude, definitely he is too good and in my opinion won’t fulfill his potential while battling his teammate, it’s a good solid #2 Ferrari need now to get anywhere.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Never been a fan of Vettel but I think it's a shame if he leaves like this. His time at Ferrari looks a bit like Schumacher's return. Somehow deserved to finish on a higher note.

Not pretty, but it is what it is. Just business at the end the day.

stevyg

RMS Regular
Not surprising. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him retire. I don't think Ric fits the Ferrari mould tbh, Sianz is the guy they need but Lewis is also an option. I'd like to see Vettel & Bottas fight it out in the same car.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
It's the road car side of the business that is most of the issue, but of course the two feed off each other. The road car side could bring down the whole thing in due course. Well documented on the internetz what a shame it's becoming. The arse has fallen out of the price of their cars used value which speaks volumes.
[/QUOTE]

it’s interesting you say that but I tend to disagree. I can’t think of the top of my head another company who has had the growth in 10 years like McLaren has on the automotive side. Revenue was up 15% last year compared to 2018 and they were profitable as far as I can remember. The European market has for sure taken a hit but I don’t think it’s necessarily McLaren per se the whole super car market has taken a hit in Europe.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
As I see it the 3 possibilities are Ricciardo, Sainz, and Perez.
I'd like to see Ricciardo in the seat. I think him and LeClerc would be good together. Both seem like they would be able to handle the interteam rivalry.
Sainz is in a good place with McLaren at the minute, and I think they are moving in the right direction so he should stay put. I think they will be challenging Ferrari soon anyway.
Perez would be a good number 2 to LeClerc if Ferrari go that way.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Rumour is Sainz to be confirmed at Ferrari within 48hrs good guy and a great move but will miss him and Norris messing about as team mates if true.
Alonso back in?

e320mark

RMS Regular
Various reports saying Sainz is the replacement. Personally I would have liked to see Danny Ric in. Could end up Sainz at Ferrari, Ric at McLaren, Vettel Renault or retirement

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.