F1 2021

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Mercedes have until Thursday night to decide if they will appeal. They have lodged an intention to appeal but are still weighing their options.

If they do appeal then it makes sense to keep this thread open until that is settled.

If they haven't lodged a formal appeal by Thursday night then I'll start a new 2022 thread and we can call it a day for this season and just all genuinely congratulate RB and Max.

Until then, maybe it's time for all of us to calm down and take a breath :cool:

ShaunB

RMS Regular
just all genuinely congratulate RB and Max.
Never! :joy::joy::joy:
1639406673090.png

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Agree with that but a shame the guy started talking about football and that you can't review the actions of officials. You actually can request a review, doesn't mean you get it.

Agree that things have to move on, and as I've said a few times already, the Teams and Drivers are the innocent parties here. The FIA and RD need to think how they balance the line between pulling new people in whilst also respecting the sport and not slipping back in time to the way things were handled in the past.

stevyg

RMS Regular
Toto is very happy, the drivers championship is the one everyone ogles over but the constructors championship is where the money is. He just sealed what $200m in prize money for the team over the year? I didn't understand why the RB pit garage had 'we are the champions' playing when they lost the constructors.

I'm hearing Hamilton has called Toto to ask him withdraw the appeals and Toto has agreed to save the reputation of F1.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I'm hearing Hamilton has called Toto to ask him withdraw the appeals and Toto has agreed to save the reputation of F1.

If that’s true then I think it’s the sensible thing to do. Lewis doesn’t want to be the Champion based on appeals or court cases, no driver would, irrespective of the “winning by whatever means” sentiment that some (@salster) folk in here swear by!

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
Maybe you should actually read what @big_pete wrote, specifically the part where he wrote “whoever of the two that won it would have deserved it”…….
if you look at the timing of the posts i was actually writing my post when big pete posted his, good to see him acknowledging the winner.
stevyg said:
(I'm hearing Hamilton has called Toto to ask him withdraw the appeals and Toto has agreed to save the reputation of F1.)

if this is true it shows hamilton in a new light, fair play to him and hes maybe not such a bad spud after all.

pablo

RMS Moderator
was chatting to a lad in the garage earlier who was wearing a red bull coat. He was wearing it yesterday too so said to him you must be a happy man today. Shook his head and said nope didn’t want it like that.

F1s rep is in the toilet but sure we will forget and move on. Looking forward to next year to see how the reg changes pan out. Any indication of what’s involved and who it might suit?

MarkM

RMS Regular
was chatting to a lad in the garage earlier who was wearing a red bull coat. He was wearing it yesterday too so said to him you must be a happy man today. Shook his head and said nope didn’t want it like that.

F1s rep is in the toilet but sure we will forget and move on. Looking forward to next year to see how the reg changes pan out. Any indication of what’s involved and who it might suit?

None, total unknown, much less aero, no fussy floors, 18” wheels so suspension changes too, could be anyone…..hopefully

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I suspected Lewis would ask for the appeal to be withdrawn, don't think any driver in the field would want a championship handed to them via an appeal at this stage. Emotions have settled and just have to swallow it and look to next year.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Nevermind on the track, it’s going to be a technical **** show next season I recon. Ross Brawn and Pat Symonds announced today they are leaving F1.

Ross Brawn was in charge of technical regs and sporting regs. He brought in the sprint races and overseen the development of 2022 regs and the new engine regs for 2026.

Pat Symonds was head of the 15 engineer ‘technical department’ who worked under Brawn and were responsible for the technical regs for 2022 and engine regs for 2026.

When the 2 guys who wrote the rules for next season are walking away before any of the new cars have appeared it really leaves the rules open for interpretation …… there will be appeal after appeal lodged next season on all the elements of the cars, especially considering how much the aero will change with no barge boards and moving from 15” wheels to 18” wheels and the suspension changes they will have to make to accommodate that. When the teams query another teams car, none of the senior technical team who wrote the rules will be there to verify why the regs were written as they were and what the ‘correct’ interpretation of the rule as it was written will be.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Agree, don't think anyone actually wants the result overturned.

But Mercedes - and others - will want clarity on exactly what "racing" will look like.

And as above, massive new regs and potentially the two architects behind those not there (haven't seen that confirmed though, looks like just more click bait rumours at the moment?)...

Imagine a Masi in charge of technical regs next year...

And Masi has to go even if he's just a fall guy for the rights holders.

It can't be just make the rules up as they go along.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
And as above, massive new regs and potentially the two architects behind those not there (haven't seen that confirmed though, looks like just more click bait rumours at the moment?)...
It’s on Autosport.

Normally pretty reliable ….. although their fanboi levels of support for Lewis this season was unashamedly one sided and extremely grating.

Imagine a Masi in charge of the technical regs 🙈. Surely they will learn from the mistake of appointing a man with 2 years experience as an assistant to replace a man with 35 years experience.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
You'd hope so but... The ratings are gold... And everyone loves that.

If they can play with the technical regs the same way next year then they really can turn the championship any which way they like, whenever they like.

And guarantee a final lap showdown every race, and a final race showdown for the championship.

I don't believe for a second Masi has been making all these calls on his own. He's had the rights holders down his ear the whole time. Ratings, ratings, ratings.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
You'd hope so but... The ratings are gold... And everyone loves that.

If they can play with the technical regs the same way next year then they really can turn the championship any which way they like, whenever they like.

And guarantee a final lap showdown every race, and a final race showdown for the championship.

I don't believe for a second Masi has been making all these calls on his own. He's had the rights holders down his ear the whole time. Ratings, ratings, ratings.

A move from actual racing to entertainment, and what is a sport without the rules or continuity?

May as well give a few influencers seats and really get the viewing figures up.

For there to be any redemption, someone has to go if they aren't going to overturn the result.

Last edited:

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
If they really wanted a thriller then red flagging the race when Latifi crashed at least would have given us a fair fight. Lewis and max on softs for a couple of laps would have been mint.

I still can't understand why they didn't go for this option, in the interest of fairness and understandably wanting a showdown.

Nobody is saying one individual should know the regulations of the top of your head, and in the heat of the moment with the time counting down and team managers shouting down the radio its certainly not an easy call to make, but at the end of the day that's their job. It was there in black and white, presumable it would have taken more time to come up with a hybrid compromise that they eventually went with, over what was commonly the norm.

However common sense would surely scream that what they did only gave Max a massive advantage, what about Carlos Sainz in third who wasn't able to battle for a second place finish because he had a lapped car in front of him to content with. I know that Sainz isn't on the same pace as Lewis or Max over a full race, but look at Saudi and how Ocon was thrown into the mix on the restart, it should have been all to play for, for ALL the drivers.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.