F1 2021

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

john87

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Hamilton under investigation for DRS infringement now during quali according to Twitter…

MarkM

RMS Regular
FA6C828C-F103-415F-8626-F4CF1A86B9AB.jpeg

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
if vettel got penalised for breaking the rules, so should lewis. probably more benefit to his bigger DRS gap than 700ml of fuel or whatever it was

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
apparently for the sprint race and not sunday, but i dont, so if it happens he could climb up for the race start, though assuming hed then go 5 places back again youre probably right

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Wonder if it’s because he actually touched it. Vettel used to do it a lot and seen Hamilton at it before now as well but maybe not physically touching the other car
Definitely because he touched it. Only people allowed to touch the cars in parc ferme are the officials.

No problem looking around things but actually touching is considered interference.

john87

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
I would have thought it’ll be a slap on the wrist for max, ticking off and a fine maybe. Vettel has touched cars before and nothing made of it.

Where it leaves the Hamilton potential penalty is less clear. Would have thought merc will be arguing very strongly he’s damaged the rear wing now, no matter how unlikely that is.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's all happening now, lol 😅 🙈

You're allowed to look, but not "check or adjust", so no touching. No idea what the penalty is, if any, but the rule is there both to stop adjusting their own cars and to stop tampering with a competitor's car.

If Lewis' car is found to be in breach, however little, then that's it, season over.

Rules are rules, if it's a mm out then it's a mm out. Just ironic for Merc to fall on that considering RB were allowed to run their bendy rear wings for half the season.

john87

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Rules are rules, if it's a mm out then it's a mm out. Just ironic for Merc to fall on that considering RB were allowed to run their bendy rear wings for half the season.

Bendy rear wings that complied with all the FIA tests at the time to be fair.

A gap being wider than it’s supposed to be is much more cut and dried. You get the feeling at this point merc took the gamble and threw everything at the championship, hoping any speed increase would be masked by the new engine.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
It's all happening now, lol 😅 🙈

You're allowed to look, but not "check or adjust", so no touching. No idea what the penalty is, if any, but the rule is there both to stop adjusting their own cars and to stop tampering with a competitor's car.

If Lewis' car is found to be in breach, however little, then that's it, season over.

I’m 100% believing at this stage that fia are pushing subtly for Max to win the championship just to break the Lewis/merc domination

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I mean, it really doesn't matter what Vettel has done in the past. The issue is theres been a problem found with the flap, hes on video touching it (entirely unlikely that has actually affected it), but of course Merc will use that in their own defence.

At least they've video evidence of it too, shoe on the other foot Whinger Spice and Darth Helmut would likely just make up it had been touched 😂

I don't get the feeling that Merc took the gamble knowingly tbh, they aren't Red Bull or Ferrari. The way some things habe happened this season it's likely just another balls up on their behalf.

KevM

RMS Regular
Reading the FIA letter above, it seems it wasn't opening fully, rather than opening extra & giving advantage?

john87

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Reading the FIA letter above, it seems it wasn't opening fully, rather than opening extra & giving advantage?
it failed the requirement for the opening to be a maximum of 85mm, so was opening too far was my reading of it.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
I don't get the feeling that Merc took the gamble knowingly tbh, they aren't Red Bull or Ferrari.
Every team on that grid is exactly the same, they'll interpret rules to give themselves an advantage knowing the consequences. It's only a matter of time before they get found out.

Every sport is the same, technical regs in WRC are exploited, Pro cyclists dope etc etc.

KevM

RMS Regular
It didnt fulfil the requirement of 85mm. Who knows....

Its about time they found the part in the No.33 PU that doesnt fulfil its requirement!

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Are they actuator operated? Before all the cheating accusations fly about online I did wonder if it was actuator operated could it just have been a case of a weak actuator or whatever means it opens with

john87

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
It didnt fulfil the requirement of 85mm. Who knows....

Its about time they found the part in the No.33 PU that doesnt fulfil its requirement!
they test it by shoving something of set width into the opening, if it goes through then the opening was too wide = fail.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
They are opened by the driver, presumably some kind of actuator or whatever mechanism they use. Could be a million perfectly plausible reasons for getting it wrong or some part being out of spec or whatever.

Or it could be an elaborate conspiracy.

Given it's measured routinely by stewards it would have been the dumbest "cheat" in history to do deliberately. More likely someone at Merc messed up. Or even a steward getting it wrong, though probably less likely.

Anyway, the investigation hasn't concluded. We'll see what comes of it.

Max should have known better, but again, we'll see what comes out it, if anything.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Every team on that grid is exactly the same, they'll interpret rules to give themselves an advantage knowing the consequences. It's only a matter of time before they get found out.

Every sport is the same, technical regs in WRC are exploited, Pro cyclists dope etc etc.
Of course they all do. It is the only way any of this stuff progresses. This is why I despise a 'rules is rules' approach to things to some extent.

But, unlike the bendy wing chancing and the Ferrari mystery performance this is a really, really stupid thing to chance given it seems to be measured regularly. That's why I don't think it's deliberate. Time will tell though.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Of course they all do. It is the only way any of this stuff progresses. This is why I despise a 'rules is rules' approach to things to some extent.

But, unlike the bendy wing chancing and the Ferrari mystery performance this is a really, really stupid thing to chance given it seems to be measured regularly. That's why I don't think it's deliberate. Time will tell though.
Well, Toto did say he'd have to try plan B if they couldn't beat them with engine performance 🤣🤣

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.