Gaz86's 1994 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo II RS

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
My first few attempts at welding...

No prep, just lifted the welder and started welding. I'm told it's not too bad ๐Ÿ™ˆ Sheet metal welding will be a bit trickier I know
View attachment 366419

Run the grinder down through it to see how deep you have burnt into the orig metal, looks like you could go hotter, when your welds are supporting the weight of the car (as a jig) you want penetration for sure.
NB: i am absolutely not any sort of a professional with welding, just been taking an avid interest this last while , picking up as many pointers as i can for my own stuff.
You're 100% correct about thin stuff being a different ball game too, its very frustrating dialling it in for sheet metal
Very exciting progress, looking forward to seeing her progress ๐Ÿ’ช wouldnt mind a poke about her in real life at some stage if it suits

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Interior is mostly stripped out now with just the dashboard steering wheel and headlining to go

IMG_20220713_140603.jpg

IMG_20220713_141051.jpg

And a few interesting things I found under the carpet ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Someone's bank card and what's called an Inkan,which is used as an official stamp/signature any time t hey have to sign something

IMG_20220713_135921.jpg

IMG_20220713_140258.jpg

A highway toll card
IMG_20220713_140612.jpg

Some "Hi-Tech" chewing gum ^o)

IMG_20220713_140447.jpg

Promotional stamps for groceries from Co-Op..... didn't know Japan had the Co-Op lol
IMG_20220713_140921.jpg

Not entirely sure what this is a fragment of
IMG_20220713_141105.jpg

And a couple of brand new items from Ross Sport

IMG_20220713_152929.jpg

Unfortunately the front grille badge is discontinued so I'll have to improvise with this rear badge.

The carpet has been removed and I'm going to give it a goood clean up today along with some of the plastic interior trim.

I have also sourced a rear seat from an Evo 3 GSR which is about as close a match to my Evo 5 Recaro's as I could find. I hunted for hours and hours to find an Evo 5 rear bench with no avail :worried: the pattern is very similar though. It's currently on it's way to Northern Ireland :grinning:

s-l1600.jpg

I had ordered some 50x50 box section steel a few weeks ago to fabricate a rotisserie for the shell and took this week off work to fabricate it only to be let down by the supplier :worried:
However a friend has offered to lend me his rotisserie that he used for his Astra GTE so I'll just need to make a few modifications once it arrives (y)

Last edited:

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
For the age of the car that interior coulda been a lot worse , looks like it will be a great base to start from.

Who was supposed to supply the steel ?

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
For the age of the car that interior coulda been a lot worse , looks like it will be a great base to start from.

Who was supposed to supply the steel ?

Yeah I was really hoping there'd be no nasty surprises when I peeled the carpet back lol It was a very nervous moment!

A friend of mine was organising it for me as it was a friend of his supplying it, local fabricator apparently ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Yeah I was really hoping there'd be no nasty surprises when I peeled the carpet back lol It was a very nervous moment!

A friend of mine was organising it for me as it was a friend of his supplying it, local fabricator apparently ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ
These guys were dead on when i was getting an 8x4 sheet of 0.9mm

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
I'd like to thank Shea at VR Transport Services for his help in bringing the seat home from Sheffield ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป Hassle free and a nice bloke too. I'd highly recommend him if you're needing stuff transported from the mainland

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
Welding is one of those things gets better more you do it , tutor one Belfast met also works for himself teaching and doing coding etc also does inspections for insurance companies great guy to gain knowledge from if you want his details pm me

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Welding is one of those things gets better more you do it , tutor one Belfast met also works for himself teaching and doing coding etc also does inspections for insurance companies great guy to gain knowledge from if you want his details pm me

Thanks. There really isn't much welding needing done to be honest. I reckon an hour would cover it once I have the sheet cut to size

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Looking well

If for some reason you end up selling the recaro seats on, let me know lol

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
The only way I'm selling those if if I find a mint set of Evo 3 Recaro's lol These are fetching a grand a pair in condition like mine mind you
Yup thatโ€™s the going rate lol ๐Ÿซฃ

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Whilst looking for a little piece of trim for the boot I had a chance conversation with a fella in Wales who is breaking a Proton, long story short I've now bought his car too for the princely sum of ยฃ200 ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ˜‚ I've mostly bought it to take some cuts out of but dare say I'll get some other bits out of it too. Engine, gearbox, fuel tank and loom have been removed but the rest is now mine. Will be handy to have ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
A smart purchase as I'm sure you've seen similar with us and the Jetta. You'll more than make your money back too selling cuts off the shell you don't need

Darragh

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra TT6
If the floor carpet is in good condition and you donโ€™t need it we will buy it :grinning:

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
A smart purchase as I'm sure you've seen similar with us and the Jetta. You'll more than make your money back too selling cuts off the shell you don't need

Yes I saw her booty transplant lol fair play

If the floor carpet is in good condition and you donโ€™t need it we will buy it :grinning:

Yes I believe the carpets still in it, haven't seen inside it yet but it generally seems to be in good order from the outside. I'll let you know mate ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
The parts car arrived last week. Happy to say it's in great condition for a '99 car so it definitely a worthwhile purchase. I have already stripped most of it out.

FB_IMG_1661109554144.jpg

I started stripping the engine earlier in the week but hit a bit of a hitch when the ramp stopped working but another couple of hours work and the engine should be out ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Systems for the CE9A Evo's are few and far between so this is going to get modded and reused. The plan is to use a Vibrant Performance rear silencer and add a mid silencer to tone it down a bit.

IMG_20220827_170001.jpg

Also picked up this Tomei billet oil cap for ยฃ25 on eBay ๐Ÿ˜

Screenshot_20220827-221128.jpg

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
You can still get the Jap exhausts, it's just that nobody stocks them here any more for the older cars. I got one in from Japan for my six, and it wasn't as expensive as you might have thought. Just had to wait a while, lol.

It goes for a lot of stuff these days, including Mitsubishi OEM spares.

Certainly much easier to make one here though (y)