Home charging point

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
What's the going rate to supply and install a charger? I got a quote of £1500 for a basic untethered charger. Seems a bit high although it's a 1930s house and it needed an earth spike.

Paid a grand-ish for a tethered Wallbox fitted. Got a smashing deal on the Wallbox though.

This included a new consumer unit.

hillbilly

RMS Regular
I'm in Derry City, not sure if the additional work is necessary and fairly priced. I have access to a free 7Kw charger in work, so questioning if the installation is even worth it. I might be able to get by with a granny charger and have a local 50kw rapid charger.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230618_121755_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230618_121755_Samsung Notes.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 40

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Wallbox on sale....

Wish I had bought something like that for home instead of getting sucked into the fancy branding of an Andersen A2.

Mine looks like it has spent the last 18 months under the sea, the paint is bubbling and coming off the front panel and Andersen won’t stand over the warranty, as I bought my unit just before they went into Administration!

IMG_3305.jpeg
IMG_3304.jpeg
IMG_3307.jpeg

Crxpete

RMS Regular
Drives
R55 MCS, SQ5
Out of all the home chargers for the all round finish, warranty and tech support then Zappi is the best on the market in my opinion and we’ve fitted a lot of chargers.
Commercial use Garo is hard to look past for all round value and usability

steeldevil

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus IS300h
Wish I had bought something like that for home instead of getting sucked into the fancy branding of an Andersen A2.

Mine looks like it has spent the last 18 months under the sea, the paint is bubbling and coming off the front panel and Andersen won’t stand over the warranty, as I bought my unit just before they went into Administration!

View attachment 407922View attachment 407923View attachment 407924

Is there no warranty that they could replace it? The company is still going.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Is there no warranty that they could replace it? The company is still going.

Andersen EV Units purchased prior to October 24 2022

Muller EV Ltd T/A Andersen EV unfortunately went into administration in October 2022. Certain assets were taken over by EVIOS Plc. There is no contractual warranty support for units purchased before October 24, 2022.

If your unit was purchased prior to this date and you have problems with the unit, please contact us to determine whether we may be able to supply you with spare parts under a goodwill sympathetic warranty claim.

steeldevil

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus IS300h
Andersen EV Units purchased prior to October 24 2022

Muller EV Ltd T/A Andersen EV unfortunately went into administration in October 2022. Certain assets were taken over by EVIOS Plc. There is no contractual warranty support for units purchased before October 24, 2022.

If your unit was purchased prior to this date and you have problems with the unit, please contact us to determine whether we may be able to supply you with spare parts under a goodwill sympathetic warranty claim.
That's convenient.... might be worth trying for the goodwill all the same.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Out of all the home chargers for the all round finish, warranty and tech support then Zappi is the best on the market in my opinion and we’ve fitted a lot of chargers.
Commercial use Garo is hard to look past for all round value and usability
Agree - my Zappi is in 4 years now and still looks and works like new.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Anyone have a wallbox? Mine is flashing white and doesn't need started to charge the car, just plug in and away it goes. App thinks there's nothing plugged in, but it is working 🤷‍♂️

Philljdm

RMS Regular
Drives
mk2.5 focus st
Screenshot_2024-01-16-08-54-22-139_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping-edit.jpg
anyone ever used one of these 32amp 7kw chargers.

Have a cheap lease coming and dont want to spend big money on a full set up charging unit

davyk31

RMS Regular
Do you have the blue 3 pin 32 amp socket available to plug it in to? If not then there is a cost there. May not be a lot faster than a standard granny charger but will all depend on what cabling and capacity you have.
Well worth putting the money into a proper charger in my view especially as you can then control it by an app to avail of the cheap overnight charging. You only have a 7 or 8 hour window on the cheaper rate so need charging at 7kw at least if you do any miles.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
As above, you'll need a commando socket installed, and they can be £600 by the time you're done.

Philljdm

RMS Regular
Drives
mk2.5 focus st
Do you have the blue 3 pin 32 amp socket available to plug it in to? If not then there is a cost there. May not be a lot faster than a standard granny charger but will all depend on what cabling and capacity you have.
Well worth putting the money into a proper charger in my view especially as you can then control it by an app to avail of the cheap overnight charging. You only have a 7 or 8 hour window on the cheaper rate so need charging at 7kw at least if you do any miles.
Yes have a 32amp blue commando outlet available at the house and thought this would be handy

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Alright gents. As we will be joining the EV revolution I have a couple of questions.

Home charging. I’ll be after a 1phase 7kw/hr charger yes?

Work could be easier. I have a blue 3 pin 3 phase (I think) 32 amp charger for my electric forklift so can I put a faster charger in there?

Also have solar panels at work and charging my forklift during the day costs frig all so hoping it’ll be the same with her EV

Finally, I’ve been told to but work charger 2nd hand. Are they available

Anything else I need to know - apps to download on the phone?
What’s the story with public charging points? Do I have to pay for them, or how do they work?

Crxpete

RMS Regular
Drives
R55 MCS, SQ5
Alright gents. As we will be joining the EV revolution I have a couple of questions.

Work could be easier. I have a blue 3 pin 3 phase (I think) 32 amp charger for my electric forklift so can I put a faster charger in there?

Also have solar panels at work and charging my forklift during the day costs frig all so hoping it’ll be the same with her EV

What’s the story with public charging points? Do I have to pay for them, or how do they work?

We install quite a few commercial chargers but anything domestic, we recommend a Zappi. A bit more expensive but easy to use and very reliable.

Correct home unit will be 7kw.

3 pin 32A blue commando normally means single phase however a forklift charger may differ. Easiest way to check is in the electrical distribution board, is it single or 3 phase going out to the charger?
If you have a 3 phase supply a 22kw (3 phase Zappi) would do your job.
Put on the extra CT on the Zappi and see what your solar is generating and dumping in to your car/truck.

Second hand charger in my opinion isn’t worth the hassle, for example the warranty period on a new Zappi is 3 years and can be extended by another 2 if you wish.

davyk31

RMS Regular
As above I wouldn’t touch a second hand charger especially for a business premises. Buy new and put the costs through your books as you will have invoices. There used to be a grant for workplace chargers as I used that at work but not sure if it still exists. That said you can probably buy a Zappi and get a local spark to install for about the same cost as an approved installer using the grant.
Yes need to pay now for public charging but depending on your use you may rarely use them with charging at home and work.
Also recommend the Zappi as I got that at home. I don’t have solar yet but they integrate well with a solar system and are very robust with a decent app.

What EV are you getting??

Should have added if you get a 3 phase charger at work it is likely rated at 22kW but a lot of cars will only charge at a max of 11kw unless in a high speed charger. It’s still worthwhile as it’s 50% faster than the 7kw chargers which are best for overnight or longer term charging.

If there is scope at your business premises for fast charging and there would be local demand you could set up a commercial unit with the grant and get some revenue. Companies like Weev are always looking for sites.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular

Blue plug is single phase. The charger someone put above seems like a cheap option for a 2nd charger at work that will plug straight into the 32 amp blue socket and save you any electrician costs.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Blue plug is single phase. The charger someone put above seems like a cheap option for a 2nd charger at work that will plug straight into the 32 amp blue socket and save you any electrician costs.
That’s brilliant. I’m assuming 32A is faster than 13A for charging also