Honda S2000 Powerd Bmw E30

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Oh no! So no last hurrah at Mondello on Friday then?

Needs must and all that, sure you pick up some other toy when the time is right.

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
:worried::worried:
Bad times, I'm sure it has to be done but I'm also sure you're gutted. I know I am to not see it hairing around kirky like a demon again. :worried:

One thing is for sure, I would not be buying anything that would be any slower than the E30. Ive learned a lot from this car an will only be going in one direction from here :grinning:

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Pity you are selling.

If I spent more time at home I'd have it off you for a track day weapon.

Id prob of worked something with you for that wee civic of yours. Love that car :grinning:

EP82JM

RMS Regular
Probably my favourite car on here,one of them anyway,be interesting to see what you come up with as a replacement

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
What id really love is a supercharged ariel atom with front an rear carbon wings. They are crazy money thou. Looking at £35k for a decent spec one.

I want something that i can take on both road and track. Id i got one of them i can throw it on the trailer an still drive the box out of it at a track day :grinning:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
There is no way any sane person would drive an Ariel on the road :grinning:

Actually, ok, maybe you would :p But no sane person would! Other than maybe on a sunny summer day or something. Have to think of it more as a motorbike than a car.

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Another option would be that wee lotus behind my car. It has a honda racing engine with sequential box an pat mcbennet says its higher spec that his own race car. Doesnt have a supercharger thou.

Dont know how it would behave on the road. The e30 was a big no-no on the road anyhow

Think the lotus is in the region of £27k but it like my e30 was coming as a package of spares etc with it. Think it has loads wheels/tyres
image.jpg

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
I don't think you can do both without compromise on track or road pace. running the setup you need on a race car on snooker table Tarmac makes its a dose for a lash down a back road.

Unless it's a Tarmac rally car.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
For someone like you, I seriously doubt there is any such thing as a car that works both on track and the road. As above, all about compromises. And knowing you, I doubt you would like those compromises :innocent:

Basically, you would not race a road car, but it would be quite happy on track days. Likewise, you would not drive a race car on the road.

A "normal" Lotus (Toyota/Rover) is just fine on both road and track. You would never use one as a daily (ok, again, you might, but no sane person would :p ). You can survive the odd day in rain if needs must, but they are really fair weather cars to really enjoy them.

Even with the Honda, in "road" trim (sensible suspension and tyres, usable seats, firewall and bulkhead intact, silenced exhaust, etc.), it is fine. It is harsher and less refined than the Toyota/Rover, definitely more "race" than "road". But the Honda engine is so tractable, just as happy pottering about in 5th as flat out in 2nd. And the only thing you would ever do to that engine is supercharge it. Anything else would just be a whole lot of £££ for almost no gain, but a lot of drawbacks. Mr Honda built it right.

But, to be honest, you would never get even close to using the performance of a "standard" Honda Elise on a public road (225bhp out of the box, doing nothing at all to the engine). Or at least, it would be pretty suicidal... On the track on the other hand, the chassis could easily deal with a supercharged Honda, no problem at all.

Then the whole tyre issue. An "standard" Elise on "road" tyres is just fine and lots of fun on a track, but obviously nowhere near on laptimes. Stick 888/AD048 semislicks on, and the laptimes drop, but so do road manners off the track.

Race cars like Pat's, or the one in your picture, you would never drive them on the road. Ever. They have rock hard suspension set down to the floor, and everything has been stripped. No boot, severe aero you would never get past a speed hump, straight through exhaust, firewall/bulkheads gone, slick tyres, usually all interior trim gone too. And any notion of sequential gearboxes on the road would just be silly.

Imho, obviously :grinning:

I think you need another race car, and keep the trailer :innocent:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Sad to see this go, was some weapon on the track. I would also love a SC Atom, although I now think I'd go for a Caterham 620R instead. I'm sure the lotus would be very rewarding on track also, although you'd want to supercharge it after a while for it to be a proper weapon.

Id prob of worked something with you for that wee civic of yours. Love that car :grinning:
Would be hard for me to let it go, but might have done for this.

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
What ever i do this time lads i will consult yous first :grinning: no point in me rushing into anything. One thing for sure is id like to be going for something with a honda engine. Love them an they have never let me down.

At the moment thou the Ariel is in front even if its going to completely break me. Ive promised myself one last toy so i want something that i can enjoy for years to come.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Go for it if you can, don't know if you have ever heard one in person, but they sound the nuts. you can hear the supercharger whine from a long way off.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Onwards and upward

Side note. Was down with a mate there n lifted a a4 off josh, relative of ya

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Onwards and upward

Side note. Was down with a mate there n lifted a a4 off josh, relative of ya

Mate that id my Grannys house that josh lives in an my bmw was parked in that garage of that house. You should have said to him about it. Hes my first cousin, an thats my tyre place straight across the road.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Aye he mentioned it was in the garage. Just when he said he works with stone I figured from same area as you and asked him. Small world. A4 was for a mate bit I drive it up home.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Well, you have been on about an Atom for years now, get it out of your system (y)

And no, it will not be your last race car, genuinely laughed out loud at that :p :innocent:

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Its brave money to spend in one lift but when you consider what the E30 cost you over the years and stages id say you would have her well paid off!

I stopped counting at £20k with the E30. I know its a lot to be spending on one lift but if I get a high enough spec one to start off with then that's it hopefully :grinning: Just the usual things like brake pads and tyres. Most of these Atoms are all low miles and to me are barely broke in

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.