Jaguar XJ-R 575 in Italian Racing Red.

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Decided against changing the spark plugs. Not when the mileage is less than half the recommended mileage change interval.

MOT Test day today.
20221228_125131.jpg

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Sooooooo, this happened just outside Girvan on the way to the ferry. Needless to say we've missed the ferry. Two days in Ayr, while we wait for 265/35/20 and 295/30/20 tyres to come from somewhere. Currently waiting on AA to take us to Ayr. Fuming doesn't even come close!!
20230104_140600.jpg

Ayrshire council's finest roads 🤬 🤬 🤬

20230104_145909.jpg

Rear tyre.

20230104_145928.jpg

Front tyre.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Jeez, you’ve made some job of that! Wheels wrecked as well or fixable? Get the claim in to the council ASAP!

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Jeez, you’ve made some job of that! Wheels wrecked as well or fixable? Get the claim in to the council ASAP!
Wheels appear to be good - at first glance. No cracks, deformation or bulges apparent. The tyres are completely snagged though.
No idea if the suspension has been affected. Local Jag dealership will tell me.

The roads in Ayrshire are beyond a joke though.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
That must have been unpleasant inside the car too, what a mess. Hope the council reimburse for the damages, joke of a pothole that is.

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
That must have been unpleasant inside the car too, what a mess. Hope the council reimburse for the damages, joke of a pothole that is.
It was very unpleasant in the car, yes. Not only the jarring shock as we hit the pothole, but my outburst of tourettes. Couldn't have been nice for Mrs Rigger, and I realised quickly that I'd better calm down, otherwise she wouldn't want to be near me if I was throwing the mother of all temper tantrums. Bit of emotional maturity quickly brought under control. Glad I did, she's been fantastic support, making me smile and laugh instead of dwelling on spilt milk as such. Past that pi55ed off stage now, just getting things sorted today, with paperwork and logistics as such.

Been round to dealership this morning. Tyres may well be here today, but no guarantees. Another night in the hotel in Ayr as well as food.

Already updated the Ayrshire roads network website, though unsure if I'm the first to report it, but I doubt it. While we were waiting for the tow-truck, we had to use the facilities in the nearby Girvan hospital. One of the staff members told us that we were the 2nd car today to have a double puncture due to that particular pothole. What made it even worse is that apparently 2 cars the day before also suffered the same problem.

Have asked Ayrshire council to send me the relevant forms for a claim for tyres, hotel accomodation, food and taxis. Will see how this pans out. Also notified them that there might further damage to the alloys and suspension components - and this will be forthcoming at a later date, due to Parks Ayr being so busy that they can't fit me in for a quick visual inspection today.

Fingers crossed that we get the car sorted later today though it will be a lot later on.

Another night in Ayr - whoo and hoo - full sarcasm intended....

Not that we wanted to be home and Mrs Rigger shouldn't have been working today or tomorrow!! (so we'll be adding loss of earnings to the claim).

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
It was very unpleasant in the car, yes. Not only the jarring shock as we hit the pothole, but my outburst of tourettes. Couldn't have been nice for Mrs Rigger, and I realised quickly that I'd better calm down, otherwise she wouldn't want to be near me if I was throwing the mother of all temper tantrums. Bit of emotional maturity quickly brought under control. Glad I did, she's been fantastic support, making me smile and laugh instead of dwelling on spilt milk as such. Past that pi55ed off stage now, just getting things sorted today, with paperwork and logistics as such.

Been round to dealership this morning. Tyres may well be here today, but no guarantees. Another night in the hotel in Ayr as well as food.

Already updated the Ayrshire roads network website, though unsure if I'm the first to report it, but I doubt it. While we were waiting for the tow-truck, we had to use the facilities in the nearby Girvan hospital. One of the staff members told us that we were the 2nd car today to have a double puncture due to that particular pothole. What made it even worse is that apparently 2 cars the day before also suffered the same problem.

Have asked Ayrshire council to send me the relevant forms for a claim for tyres, hotel accomodation, food and taxis. Will see how this pans out. Also notified them that there might further damage to the alloys and suspension components - and this will be forthcoming at a later date, due to Parks Ayr being so busy that they can't fit me in for a quick visual inspection today.

Fingers crossed that we get the car sorted later today though it will be a lot later on.

Not that we wanted to be home and Mrs Rigger shouldn't have been working today or tomorrow!! (so we'll be adding loss of earnings to the claim).
If you havent already, try and get out with ruler/tape measurements of the pothole with pictures to back up how big/deep it is.

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
If you havent already, try and get out with ruler/tape measurements of the pothole with pictures to back up how big/deep it is.
As much as I would like to do that - it's just not safe to do so. Articulated trucks, vans and cars on a 60mph road heading south for the ferry make it too dangerous to do that.

Blame game has started already.

ARA - Ayrshire Roads Agency/Asoc' have already passed me onto Amey Highways (Scotland).
To be fair, they've already contact me requesting more contact details for a claims package to be sent to me.

I doubt they have a leg to stand on, not legally and certainly not morally. If a motorcyclist were to hit that hole at 60mph, there is high potential that they would be unseated with a high percentage of major injury or even death. I've made Ayrshire council, ARA and Amey Highways (Scotland) agency aware of this fact.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Ouch!

I done a brand new Conti last year. It took 12 months of being passed to different companies to get it resolved.

They paid for a new tyre and wheel alignment. It also snapped a rear spring, but I didn't know until a week after i submitted the claim and CBA chasing anything more. I get the tyres super cheap anyway, so worked out OK.

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
Potholes are getting worse these last few years,,
The amount of road tax paid for **** roads doesn’t equate lol

In other news, spotted this at the dealership this morning....

Tempted, but the two-tone interior and larger numbers compared to my XJ-R 575 put me off tbh.

Then there's the wheels, imagine hitting a pothole like I did yesterday on 22" rims!!
Where’s this 🤔🤔

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Cat's got new boots!!!

£1300+ for x4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Been right and royally gouged!!!

Best Amey pay up!!

Heading home tomorrow on the afternoon ferry.

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
Cat's got new boots!!!

£1300+ for x4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Been right and royally gouged!!!

Best Amey pay up!!

Heading home tomorrow on the afternoon ferry.
Glad you are sorted finally

Hope Amey cover all your costs buddy

Get home safe

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Well, we finally got to Cairnryan.

Ceramic coating is doing its job well too. Car has done over 600 miles in some properly sh**ty weather, but looks decent enough from a few feet away. Will be getting a decent wash in the coming week!
20230106_144849.jpg

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Good grief that’s a lot of money! 😭 I hope and pray that you’re fully reimbursed!

Is the big cat driving ok then with just tyres replaced?

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Good grief that’s a lot of money! 😭 I hope and pray that you’re fully reimbursed!

Is the big cat driving ok then with just tyres replaced?
I hope so too bud!!

Car seems fine. Parks JLR gave it a look over for me, and reported no issues, thankfully (y)

Only driven from Ayr to Cairnryan, then Belfast to Bangor, but it seemed fine.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155

I had the pleasure of staying at the Carlton in Prestwick for a night in 2021, tbf the hotel was fine but the area around it was a bit dodge.

Rigger

RMS Regular
OP
Rigger
Drives
XJR 575, A4
I had the pleasure of staying at the Carlton in Prestwick for a night in 2021, tbf the hotel was fine but the area around it was a bit dodge.
We stayed in the Western House Hotel, right next to the race course. Very nice hotel, food and service were fantastic tbf. Room was basic, but comfortable.

Area was nice enough, though walking through Lochside Rd a few streets away, on the way to the dealership opened my eyes a bit. Weeds since the 80s along with one garden having the waterproof ole' leather sofa and fridge. Litter like I've never seen before - maybe they use old crisp packets for colour instead of flowers. Hallions or maybe junkies. Felt sorry for the local residents in that area, that try and keep their properties tidy.

The whole (pardon the pun) sorry episode has made me far more appreciative of the roads we have here in Norn Irn.