Lease deals thread

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Show her how much a 2 year old one would have lost.

New car every 2 years too. Until the good deals stop and shes in a Kia Picanto.

But the point is we wouldn't have been getting a new 1 anyway. If we bought a 2012 GTi it isn't going to lose £4600 in 2 years.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Well that went down like a fart in a spacesuit when I suggested it. "You've nothing to show for it after the 2 years".

facepalm.gif
Ahahahaha I'm sure our wives would get on, this is why I don't have a Golf R estate on lease that would come with a nice warranty.....

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You'll never make it more financially viable to compare an old car to a newer one. The lease will nearly always be dearer. The key to success is minimalising the difference and chalking that to having a brand new car vs an old one.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Exactly this. I've got fed up replacing stupid things on cars for the first MOT that really shouldn't need replaced. I've been a long time thinker that I'd rather own it than rent it, but trying to sort cars for MOT and keep on top of maintenance?! I'd rather hop into a daily car that's under warranty. And so what if you've nothing to show after 2 years?
I recall reading on here the old saying "if it makes you money, buy it. If it costs you money, rent it".

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Always lease a depreciating asset.

Maybe it was just me but for something worth more than about £8k I was paying off a loan anyway. Roughly £200 ish a month and after a few years when the loan was paid I would chop it in and buy something else and continue the process. I can't ever remember paying a loan off in its entirety and then not deciding it was time to move the car on again. The difference with the lease is that none of your own equity is tied into the car.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I was always of the same thinking that I preferred to own something outright. Things have changed now i'm married with a daughter. There's a lot to be said for the hassle free motoring of a brand new car with warranty, no MOT, 5 star NCAP etc. Like most i've always had some sort of car loan to pay over the years so i'm used to paying x amount per month for a car which is depreciating all the time. If your someone like me who changes all the time leasing is the way forward, hand it back and get the latest model. There's no profit in cars these days unless your a trader or its an appreciating classic.

chris_b

RMS Regular
OP
chris_b
Drives
A car
its a 7ish grand loan vs a 30 grand loan. I wouldn't be able to sleep being into a car for 30 grand on tick.
Remember though, finance isn't a loan. The equity remains in the vehicle which can always go back.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
To be fair though as great as it is to have the lease car there to take the hassle and worry out of motoring, it is to me nothing more than a means of transport. Reliable, comfortable A to B work horse that I can let the mrs work away at without any concern about it breaking down and/or costing a fortune. As tempting as deals on the Golf GTI are I wouldn't be able to justify chopping my £4k runabout in for something that'll cost £5k over the 2 years. I also quite like to have a wee fiddle / play about with my own car and you just can't / don't do that with the lease.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
For all you folks with your lease car. Does it feel like its "your" car? Unfortunately I don't..its a hire car, albeit a 300 horse hire car. I'm wondering is it just me. Just curious

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
For all you folks with your lease car. Does it feel like its "your" car? Unfortunately I don't..its a hire car, albeit a 300 horse hire car. I'm wondering is it just me. Just curious

Feels like my own but I don't slow for speed ramps and I've no problem leaving it to euro car wash.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Very true. Big reason I went for a lease
Very reason I am still very unsure wether to lease or not.saying that I'm looking to buy again and I have lost £5.5 this past year on my bought car .really is a no brained but I need a slap to convince me oh and I would have to mod one if I did.