Lease deals thread

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
He has the option of handing it back after the 4 years though. Not sure if that makes it a lease with the potential of turning it into a PCP?

No idea, not something I know too much about. I just know it was cheap.
You can hand it back rather than paying the final payment on PCP.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
He has the option of handing it back after the 4 years though. Not sure if that makes it a lease with the potential of turning it into a PCP?

No idea, not something I know too much about. I just know it was cheap.
It’s not a lease then, it’s a PCP which is why it’s cheap - the GFV still needs paid at the end or handed back.

mic

RMS Regular
Drives
Stelvio & VW
It’s not a lease then, it’s a PCP which is why it’s cheap - the GFV still needs paid at the end or handed back.

This leads to the debate "Leasing or PCP" at the end of the day it, in my opinion is the actual monthly outlay. In this case, no deposit (better than lease) monthly payment (improvement on lease cost) and at the end you have the option to walk away or buy the car (advantage over lease). The benefit, is clearly that mid way you can terminate a PCP, another advantage over lease. Win Win for the OP in this case (y)(y)

purplea4T

RMS Regular
This leads to the debate "Leasing or PCP" at the end of the day it, in my opinion is the actual monthly outlay. In this case, no deposit (better than lease) monthly payment (improvement on lease cost) and at the end you have the option to walk away or buy the car (advantage over lease). The benefit, is clearly that mid way you can terminate a PCP, another advantage over lease. Win Win for the OP in this case (y)(y)
Not really, I suppose it’s comparing apples to oranges as they aren’t the same car, but my lease (and it is a lease) works out at £7640 over 2 years in total. The figures on the one @Lyons is talking about is £27k over 4 years or I would imagine £13.5k over 2; you’ve either got to pay the GFV or hand it back, I can’t see that buying a car you’ve had for 4 years gives you any advantage as a buyer nor can you VT until you’ve paid 50% of the TOTAL amount which includes the final balloon/GFV figure, so not 24 months out of a 48 month agreement.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Not really, I suppose it’s comparing apples to oranges as they aren’t the same car, but my lease (and it is a lease) works out at £7640 over 2 years in total. The figures on the one @Lyons is talking about is £27k over 4 years or I would imagine £13.5k over 2; you’ve either got to pay the GFV or hand it back, I can’t see that buying a car you’ve had for 4 years gives you any advantage as a buyer nor can you VT until you’ve paid 50% of the TOTAL amount which includes the final balloon/GFV figure, so not 24 months out of a 48 month agreement.

Aye it'll be around 36 months in this case.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

But surely if you assume it will be handed balk, thus making it identical in principle to a lease deal, it is good value? £10,800 over 3 years which seems pretty good for a lease of the same car?

Reactions: Ben

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
But surely if you assume it will be handed balk, thus making it identical in principle to a lease deal, it is good value? £10,800 over 3 years which seems pretty good for a lease of the same car?

Is it not closer to £13.5k over three years (plus another few hundred for RFL) if its £370 a month?

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Tbh I do not have a clue what you guys are talking about .how to feck is paying nearly £400 a month for a car that you have to hand back in 3-4 years .what am I missing here .£13500+o(+o(
Another one there was “it costing £7200 over 2 years” ,do you lot think that’s a good deal as to me it’s nuts but sure .
Suppose when you take into consideration if you bought the car and kept it 2-3-4 years it would loose a lot of money alright .

Last edited:

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Oh no, please do not let us go down the PCP debate again.

Ok, we get some folks don’t want to do it. However some do.
It’s totally not that I don’t want to do it ,honestly I do not know the difference in pcp and whatever other options is available when you buy a car .i wonder seriously out of 100 cars ,how many are bought outrite ,on hp ,on pcp or leased .would be interesting to know just .

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
It’s totally not that I don’t want to do it ,honestly I do not know the difference in pcp and whatever other options is available when you buy a car .i wonder seriously out of 100 cars ,how many are bought outrite ,on hp ,on pcp or leased .would be interesting to know just .

I believe something like 80% of new car purchases are via PCP, it may be even higher than this.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I believe something like 80% of new car purchases are via PCP, it may be even higher than this.
I spoke to a friend who’s the business manager in a dealer in North Down and that figure is pretty spot on. The only 2 people I know that have bought a new car for cash have been my dad and my father in law in the past 2 years!
Everything is going “monthly” now - that’s the only figure that really matters!

Dave..

RMS Regular
I spoke to a friend who’s the business manager in a dealer in North Down and that figure is pretty spot on. The only 2 people I know that have bought a new car for cash have been my dad and my father in law in the past 2 years!
Everything is going “monthly” now - that’s the only figure that really matters!
All my father’s cars were paid with cash.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Where would be the best place to look for small car deals? Middle daughter has got a job that would allow a few quid for a car payments and release me from trying to keep her current motor running. :grinning:
Bear in mind I've never had hp or a lease deal in my life but I can read and understand things so just looking for a recommended starting place.. TIA

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Where would be the best place to look for small car deals? Middle daughter has got a job that would allow a few quid for a car payments and release me from trying to keep her current motor running. :grinning:
Bear in mind I've never had hp or a lease deal in my life but I can read and understand things so just looking for a recommended starting place.. TIA
I see Halliday have tons of the wee Citroen c3 in stock .really nice little cars and the deal is £139 a month I believe .think there all like a year old or something along those lines .cant remember who it is on here but he is the salesman in Hallidays Bushmills .

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Donnelly Fiat are doing good deals on new 500’s, quite a lot in stock it that’s the sort of thing she’s after. PCP deals aren’t bad on them, ask for Robert at Mallusk if you’re interested.