MK3 Golf GTi 16v

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Thanks guys & lol @ Baxter - you make me chuckle :grinning:

Didn't know you worked in VW, John - thought you were a truck driver for some odd reason! lol

Going to try my best to hold onto it for a wee while till this recession is over. Will see how that goes :confounded:

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
If your looking a vento front, i have two sitting here, and could probably get them sprayed silver to match you car for good money! ;)

Oh and health to drive!

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Not my cup of tea, not found of the older car era, but looks clean and tidy. Health to drive.

Ancient like, it's a wonder that thing isn't tax exempt. :p

Fresh looking in the silver, nice seats too.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Didn't even try an 8v - the 16v is slow enough!

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
fek that rocks!!!

wheels and a drop that will look immense, does looka fairly fresh one

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Nice looking car. And it belonged to my gf's neighbour! I always admired it when I saw him in it. Good choice, and billy bargain by the looks of it.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
haha, not sure Matthew... hopefully get the summer out of it at least!

Aye the guy was spot on to deal with Andy, makes a change from the usual boyos. The guy I bought the MK2 off was a bit of a nightmare. You would not believe what I had to endure with the Leon too. He asked for an extension lead out the driveway then proceeded to connect the laptop up and run diagnostic checks, chassis and mileage verifications, etc lol. Fair play I suppose, must give him a ring when I'm looking for my next motor... he was seriously fussy. Had me worried incase I hadn't picked anything up when I was buying it... luckily it was all clear (y)

Thats a nice one there Bono. Deffo look great without the arch spats imo.

Twain

RMS Regular
Arches off def helps the look of the car, depends if you want to keep it original tho and maybe theres some rot lurking underneath!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
God knows Twain. Not a mention of rust anywhere else but would rather keep the spats on just in-case, also a GTi = spats imo so I'll not be touching them anyway

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
A really nice gloss black paint on the arches etc suits the mk3s. I think the vento from is the way forward also. One suggestion, dont smooth it. Silver and too smooth looks cheap imo. 16 inch rims, nice tyre without stretch and sensible lowering makes a perfect everyday wagon.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Cheers Craig - didn't see you or I'd have waved (y)

Wouldn't mind doing something with the rims, have been browsing about for a set of anni ones but nothing decent/well priced has came up yet...

Done 1200 miles in it already. So far has been faultless apart from what I think is a sticky starter solenoid... seems to stick once in a blue moon so will have to whip it out and change it soon...

Twain

RMS Regular
Lovely car, seems to go pretty well. Seats are a nice bonus, in great condition too. Anniversary rimmage would be nice on it, tho the ones you have seem grand.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Aye they're grand I guess, but if a nice set of anni ones came up I'd be tempted to refurb the original rims and keep for winter useage :p

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
3 years on and I got it back. It'd moved to Southampton in between so bit of a trek to get her back home!

It's been a busy week. Full day to get it home then the remainder getting it up to standard. I'm not massively fussy but I have a limit and the car was past that.

So, this is what the bumpers looked like. NOTHING could restore them. It was like a hardened grey layer on top of the plastic. Right hand corner I had a go with the blow torch and it came up OK-ish but not good enough.

IMAG0134.jpg

Drastic measures. Out with the satin paint :eek:

IMAG0135.jpg

Wheel bearings on the rear were fooked so decided to just do the brakes and not have to worry about it again:

IMAG0138.jpg

Wheels were a complete mess too:

IMAG0140.jpg

Out with the rattle cans again:

IMAG0139.jpg

The results. Wheels will DFR for the summer:

IMAG0141.jpg

MK5 meets her granny lol. I promise - I didn't pose the cars for this, just noticed as I was coming up to the garage and thought it worth a wee pic :p

IMAG0136.jpg

Plastics came up alright:

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

No decent photo's yet... maybe at the weekend. The interior is still a disaster so that'll be tomorrows job along with a few other bits and bobs and then it's off to Fermanagh for the weekend :laughing:

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Something real nice about that mk3. Great work getting her tidied up. Plenty of masking done, and nice work on the valves lol !

Some decent pics now plz!!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
class very tidy lookin gti, great work on the wheels and bumpers(y) same interior as my VR too:cool:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.