MK3 Golf GTi 16v

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Nice one Coog, cool cars, I adored my old Mk3 GTI even though everyone slated them at the time!

Good work with the refurb of bumpers and wheels, freshens it up no end. Any further plans?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
No there's just standard ones in the front but I'm going to upgrade them because they feel horrible/wallowy compared to the rear ones!

Not entirely sure what to do with it yet Woodcutter lol.

Conor

RMS Regular
That's a perfect spec of a mk3 gti. Love them in silver!

How's the body? Any of the common spots starting to show signs of rot?

My VR6 was a total rot box. Lol

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Inner sills have been welded a couple of patches both sides. There's one or two spots on outer skin of the floor pan that are starting to go but other than that looks like I've got it in time. Mostly sorted already.

I very gingerly pulled the sill covers off the drivers side yesterday to see what I was going to have to deal with (heart in mouth moment) and the outer sills were perfect bar some minimal stuff on the jacking points. Gave it a good dose of waxoyl and plan to do the other side tomorrow (fingers crossed it's alright too).

Although the later ones were partially galvanised they used shi tty steel so they still rot like fook :worried:

Conor

RMS Regular
Make sure and have a good hoke under the arch around the fuel filler neck, that's a known spot too.

Yeah, the removal of the sill covers is a proper fully clenched moment Lol I think it was only the front wings and sills that got galvanised on the 1997 and 1998 ones. And as you say they still go!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That looks class mate, and brilliant work on all the wee jobs!

What did you do the wheels with? Full rub down job primer etc, or spray over the top with the autoglym(I think) stuff?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Will do Conor. Don't think I've got up in there yet.

Gav - I just roughed the surface, removed loose bits and sanded the chipped areas a bit followed by white primer, silver wheel paint from Halfords and a couple of coats of lacquer. Avoid the Simoniz paint if you're thinking of doing it. For some reason the Simoniz stuff seems to look like there's brake dust on it :confounded:

I also find VW diamond silver is a good colour too but couldn't find any.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I really enjoy my mk3 16v. Just something comfy and satisfying about them.

i know what you mean dude, i think the Mk3's were the last of the vw's that they built like tanks, ive had two and they have always been super reliable, not a rattle out of them either, even after 15 years....

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Looks really well in silver. I'm glad to see you are keeping it standard looking too (y)

Cheap and cheerful driving :grinning:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Properly laughed at the blowtorch comment lol (y) Trust you :p Although they certainly needed it :scream:

Do you not like to sit back and enjoy your own time and just like to fettle i presume? Always faffing about with something :p Has the wee scooter taken a back burner or just not had time of recent?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I honestly don't know what the hell is wrong with me. I really struggle to just sit and do nothing, even when I'm out I crack up - like on wednesday there we went to the cinema and all I could think of was prioritising a list of to-do's for the Golf/Scoot/Jeep. Didn't help that the film was a chick flick (brownie point earner) mind you.

Anytime I do sit down I'm usually at the computer researching a job that needs done the next day/weekend.

Still working at the scooter. I've been struggling with piston/tolerances but I've it worked out and parts coming from Thailand for it. Once those bits come I can build the engine and it should be complete. It's taking longer than I'd like though!!!!

C4L

RMS Regular
quite like that. Just scanned the whole thread, now you have it back its time for some awesome rims and a drop like you had originally planned (y)

good tidy up job too

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I've lost my good camera. Can't find the fooker anywhere so some mobile phone pics will have to do.

I spoke too soon on the rust. I pulled the passengers side cover off and the outer sill was perfect bar a spot on the jacking point. Bit of hoking later and I had a hole so it had to be welded 8o|. Got it patched and inspected by my tutor so good to go on that front. Decided to just treat and underseal the floor while I was at it so that should stop the rust progressing. Totally solid everywhere else, even the filler cap area :grinning:

IMAG0167.jpg

MOT due in a few days and it's not been booked in yet, so it's the last run out today for a few weeks at least.

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

This other one was looking a bit sorry for itself so it got a clean:

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

Once MOT is done I'm going to look into doing something with the front suspension. It's either worn out or just plain crap.

Conor

RMS Regular
Good stuff, the filler cap is the real killer!

Get yourself a KR Mk2 GTI and i'll be your BFF. :p

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Straight through the MOT this morning so the few quid I had sitting aside for fixing undiscovered MOT items can now be spent sorting the stodgy handling out.

Any suggestions for the most effective first mod? Was thinking of just going for decent shocks/springs for a start?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Lifted a set of Eibach springs. Before I order struts I just wanted to see if any of you had any recommendations for decent front shocks?

Gambit

RMS Regular
Get the Sachs outta Euro. a front pair is £165 though with 30% discount on site with MIDMONTH30 gets you them for £115(click & collect) - unless Richy, Tufty etc can get you them cheaper again!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Did a major service to the MK3 last week and noticed a drip of coolant on the floor. Hadn't noticed she'd been using any so must've just literally rotted the rad when it was in storage since last month. Good excuse to go through the cooling system anyway :grinning:

Both bottom corners fookered :worried:

IMAG0259.jpg

Some stripping involved to get at it.

IMAG0258.jpg

New rad fitted :grinning:

IMAG0261.jpg

On to the s**te handling. Before:

IMAG0262.jpg

After

IMAG0263.jpg

Back home
IMAG0267.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

I also de-mudflapped it. Hate the fooking things.

Verdict - the handling is still sh**e lol. I thought I might get away with reusing the old front shocks but they're truely fooked so new gas ones on the way and 30mins to swap them round. Tyres are also terrible so they're being changed soon then I guess it's time to look at poly bushes.

Rolling road tomorrow with Colin and co. Will be fun to see what remains of the original 150bhp :p

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Looking forward to chating to you at last lad, and I expect you to rag the ruck outta her the whole way there so you can say "shes too warm" when she does 86bhp :p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.