MK3 Golf GTi 16v

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Looks great, really like these. Had a red 8v Mk3 GTI back in the late nineties, I adored the thing even though it was slow and wobbly!

Some subtle spacers would look good I think, Coog.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Agreed, was just thinking that earlier woodcutter!

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Lovely Coog! :cool: Least its being cared for properly and you discovered the rad sooner rather than later :grinning:

Ive still a hankering to get another one of these or a VR6 :worried:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I do like the VR6's. Something about that engine note :heart:

150bhp on first run on the rolling road and 151odd on the second run today. Hasn't lost a single bhp over 120k miles and 15 years.

mattyd

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk1 octavia vrs/
just noticed you got it back. must tell paul its back again. he's the fella u bought it off originally matey. wos a great car and looks like ur doing a good job of it

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Nice one Matty! It'd be about Bangor a fair bit if/when the weather's good, so maybe he'll see her on the road. The last owner called up unannounced to see it last week. I wasn't in, nor was the car so he was a bit raging lol.

Took a few quick snaps before I put her back into the shed today. I really need to get the ding on the door sorted out. Taking the whole look of the car away. When's the next dent day???

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

Conor

RMS Regular
Brilliant Coog, proper VW!

Very healthy on the rollers too, it's not uncommon for these to make 165-170 with some decent breathing mods and a set of cams.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Red's my favourite colour in them. That looks fantastic mate :heart:

Would love a set of those wheels too!!

Yeah I heard that too Conor. Also heard an Emerald ECU is a good upgrade. Haven't really looked into tuning it too much, might be something to consider if/when the handling is sorted.

big cyril

RMS Regular
That looks good Coog, silver suits it well (y)
I've one of these at present, got it a while back but only really drove it recently. The engine is a proper old school 16v, not much go until about 4k rpm then goes properly from 5k until redline at 7k.
Also they were slated back in the day for handling, I lowered mine slightly with springs, and it now corners quite flat and doesn't seem to want to understeer so not sure where the bad handling rep came from:confounded:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Fairly wobbly on standard suspension that's for sure (though I've driven much much worse!)

Rolling road graph came through this evening. I notice it gets a bit bumpy on past 5krpm....

Attachments

• MK3 GTi Graph.pdf
    24.1 KB · Views: 110

VintyGti

RMS Regular
Drives
Edition 30 GTI
I loved the handling of mine, Eibach springs and Koni shocks. Think mine made over 160bhp when it was last at a rolling road, sailed past a mint CRX del sol Vti uphill and pushed a few VR's up the road no bother :cool:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Put the new shocks in this morning. Driving much much better. The old shocks were totally knackered.

Noticed that the new shocks have caused the front to drop more. I'm in two minds about how it looks. I don't know whether it's a bit too low or OK :confounded:

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
The konis in my Vr have it corner very flat even with the heavy lump, gives a bit of lift off oversteer too;)

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I loved the handling of mine, Eibach springs and Koni shocks. Think mine made over 160bhp when it was last at a rolling road, sailed past a mint CRX del sol Vti uphill and pushed a few VR's up the road no bother :cool:

must be a very fit gti! although in saying that my vr isnt standard but will sit all over clio 197's and CTR's etc

Conor

RMS Regular
Pfft, if anything you should be lowering it more at the back. Lol

Personally it does sit a tad too rakish IMO, 20mm at the rear and you'd be sorted i reckon.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I raised it again. I'm really fussy about driveability and at the height was annoying the pish out of me. New shocks still make a hell of a difference though. I think I'll sell the eibachs and try a different set of springs in a couple of weeks time.

Got the entire suspension swap nailed to 60mins now lol :p

Conor

RMS Regular
Here's one for you Craig, how does it compare to the MkV? What would you rather hop in for a bit of banter etc?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Hmm tough one. Standard vs standard the MK5 is a much better car overall. They're two very different cars though, I like the gruffness of the MK3 and the more basic feel, larger windows, short dash, power delivery and revvyness, etc. It's also nice to hop into a manual car. The Mk5 is more serious, quiet, comfortable but handles better and is quicker/sharper.

If there was a coast run to Portrush this weekend I'd take the MK3 but that's mainly because I drive the MK5 to work every day.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.