New New Top Gear Season 2 Ep 1 BBC2 Tonight

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
I'll focus more on the Positives:
- No Chris Evans
- FXXK (Unreal car)
- New GT86 (Win!)
- Decent guest
- Proper Top Gear track is back
- Volvo was a beast
- Decent, proper Top Gear style group road trip
- No Chris Evans!!!

Yes they're a little wooden in places but it's early doors and theyre probably bricking it after the negatives in the last series. I think they'll loosen up as time goes on and they get to know each other better. We're comparing them to presenters that knew each other for years. I've gave up comparing. It's a whole new show and good in its own right now.

Looking forward to next week!! .. Stig better shown his....helmet?....This time! Lol

DriftnSlide

Banned
Drives
S60 D5 SE
tumblr_o68uksQqGu1qz5q5lo1_400.gif

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
Decent watch. Preferred to GT.
Worried that whoever is responsible for the soundtrack on TG is inside my head though - great taste and likes the odd MOR movie tune, last few minutes of Oblivion anyone?

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Reasonably fast car and several other aspects are good again.

Tbh compare it to season 2 of too gear version 1 and honestly it's a long step ahead.

Have we basically accepted that Harris was last seasons Stig?

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
I always thought The Stig was Kris Meeke. Ever since the rally Proton episode, I was sure it was a rally driver. Meeke fits the bill and with appearing on Top Gear a few times I'm sure he has a rapport with the producers.

NotKG

Banned
GT or TG ,,, who cares who presents it as long as there is cars/bikes/or weird chit in it.
Ginger was ok too, he served a purpose, you'd be a self centred tossa too if you were worth millions and was ginger to boot.
to hell with all the Haters, i couldnt care if they drove a lada round the track every week and evans was the stig(y)

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
GT or TG ,,, who cares who presents it as long as there is cars/bikes/or weird chit in it.
Ginger was ok too, he served a purpose, you'd be a self centred tossa too if you were worth millions and was ginger to boot.
to hell with all the Haters, i couldnt care if they drove a lada round the track every week and evans was the stig(y)
giphy.gif

Last edited:

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
I'd disagree with the celeb piece, James McAvoy barely spoke! He answered a couple of questions, literally a couple of questions, the rest of he was just sitting laughing, waste of a good celebrity, especially as he could have been promoting his new movie!
Exactly; better.
Did you see the "celebrity" section on season 1?

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
I think it was a decent opening episode to the series, the lack of shouty Chris Evans is certainly refreshing. Great cars, and a good road trip away for them in the taxis.

I did find myself get bored a couple times while watching as the guys are quite scripted, it shows even more than the original trio.

I could feel the presenters were nervous, a few silly things were said and still lacking chemistry between each other which isn't really their fault as they are only new together, I'm sure with enough series's that could come in time.

Switching back over to The Grand Tour, you get the abuse/banter between the original trio, everything is so much more relaxed with them and it all flows naturally.

Do I think new Top Gear deserves a chance? Yeah I do (y)

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
To be honest I found the Grand Tour on the whole disappointing with the odd moment of goodness shining through, the 'banter' seemed very forced more than a few times.

Last nights episode was grand, on reflection, andwill likely improve also. I just wonder how the viewing figures stack up given just how woeful it was last series.

I thought the lack of stig was a bonus too tbh.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Enjoyed last nights episode, it's a million times better without that annoying ginger t**t and I suspect it will get better as the series continues.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
That ferrari - watching it now.

Celebrity in a car is a bit less involved so far and nothing really about them at all - still all feels very staged and acted though, no major flow

stuartyvilla

RMS Regular
Drives
182/ 208 GTI
I really enjoyed it, I am a fan of Harris so the Ferrari piece was epic and I enjoyed the Road Trip, I never watched the Grand Tour or the previous series with Evans but I will be tuning in next week(y).

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It was absolutely fine, enjoyed it. More relaxed than last season, and I have to say Rory is impressing. Then again, I suppose he is the only real journalist of the bunch and it tells, lol.

They will gel, and the format will continue to be tweaked. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Really looking forward to the rest of the season :grinning:

P.S.
They need to can the canned laughter, but that was the only real gripe (y)

Bryan

RMS Regular
Anyone google the name on the side of the Ferrari? Owned by some American outfit headed up by a guy who paid £350k to go hunting a black Rhino. Not like the BBC to go looking for scandals or anything :p

I never watched the first series because I can't stand Chris Evans. I wasn't that impressed with this either. I did enjoy the challenges with the old cars but they didn't have the true friendship that Clarkson, Hammond and May have and you can tell when they're doing those type of things.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.