Post your project/build ideas

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
LS swapping my E36 has me seriously tempted...
b042c211584f06fced88896e7ce3e6f9.jpg

Or a 1UZ... any V8 really lol
DSC_0432-1.jpg

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
I stopped in with a buddy in Wales and just before I left I asked why he had a Chevy C10 pickup chassis on his trailer and what he was going to do with it.
Find a Gen 3 Camaro body and stick it on it was the answer.
Oh! alrighty then!

zafturbo

RMS Regular
A0599CB5-280B-4F79-B09D-F72A75F62960.png
Get a friend to finish this after putting it away into a corner a couple years ago and not interested in finishing it .will make a lovely car when finished .

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Been having wild notions recently about putting a 306 GTi-6 engine in a 306 estate. Knowing nothing about mechanicals, (the cat escapade will testify this) the whole electrical side of it puzzles me. In simple terms what way does it work with the ecu? Do you need to use it from the donor car too? If so, if there are electrical things the donor car has that the receiving car doesn’t, do they just not operate then?

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Been having wild notions recently about putting a 306 GTi-6 engine in a 306 estate. Knowing nothing about mechanicals, (the cat escapade will testify this) the whole electrical side of it puzzles me. In simple terms what way does it work with the ecu? Do you need to use it from the donor car too? If so, if there are electrical things the donor car has that the receiving car doesn’t, do they just not operate then?
Same as a 205 engine swop .easiest way is to just buy a complete gti6 - s16 ect and use everything out of the doner car .ecu,wiring loom ect as a lot is different.it is the easiest and prob the cheapest way to go about it .

Last edited:

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
I've no specific Peugeot wiring knowledge but it's no easier loom swapping then just splicing in the engine loom to the existing body loom. When you're going for a different bodystyle especially - the gti6 loom is not going to reach the rear lights and hatch wiring of an estate, and wouldn't have the wiring for rear electric windows if the estate had that - for example.
Once you're into swapping an entire body loom and cutting and extending, then you may as well have just cut and joined whatever needed done at the front end. With the exception of if wiring diagrams aren't available so you can't tell which wire does what, in which case extending is much simpler with no hours needed multimetering.

The 325tds E36 coupe and the 330d E36 compact we built were both like that - the body looms would never have suited and figuring out how to get a diesel saloon loom to operate the soft-close on a frameless coupe door window (for example) was a far bigger potential headache than just using the pin-out diagrams and adapting the body loom to suit the diesel engine loom.

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
With the wedding over and getting out first house sorted its now time to get back to the project which had been neglected for over a year

Lupo engine.jpg

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
My current project is in many more bits than when I got it and doesn't look like much just now.... this is the most recent photo I have of it. The rear axle is now stripped down and diff removed due to discovering a leak at the input shaft.

Might put a thread up at some stage but I bought it built but decided to strip it down for a few reasons - 1 so I know how it's been put together, 2 to refresh anything that needs it as it sat up for a few years and 3, I want to paint it. I bought it in June 2017, did 1 sprint in it and it's sat in my garage ever since. I started to strip it in September and haven't got that far yet. Hope to have it finished for March time...

20181028_111700.JPG

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
View attachment 195719 headlights are starting to take shape. Still a fair bit to do though.

Here's a before

View attachment 195720

To upgrade somethings I wasn't happy with, I opened my headlights up again.

Changed the main beams to higher power LED projectors, fitted much better DRLs and redesigned the indicators to 5 led pods either side mimicking the shape of the original drls.

Light output in dipped is both fantastic and well controlled, cut off is razor sharp.

Main brands are on another level, bixenons go into full beam, the inner LED main beams come on and so does the light bar.

Last piece of the puzzle on the front of 2 fold.

I want to change the light bar optics, it's is throwing a little too much light on the foreground so I'll change some of the foods for pencil beams. I also want to make it less visible somehow.
20181101_152554_HDR.jpg
20181101_152616_HDR.jpg
20181101_171229.jpg
20181101_203432.gif

Secondly, I hate both the look and functionality of the fog lights, so I'm going to built black look fog enclosures and fit yellow 3000k LED projector fog lights.

Round the back, I'm building a custom LED reverse light low and centre and making the rear fogs symmetrical.

Then I'll be pretty happy. Ps I'm obsessed by lights and improving they functionality.

Pictures are taken in HDR so makes the lights appear less bright.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
What about old school light tint spray for the lightbar? You know the stuff that was on everyones tail lights in the maxpower days

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
It's nearly touching the intercooler.

I had thought about that flyeye stuff for the lightbar, as long as it doesn't affect the output too much.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
To upgrade somethings I wasn't happy with, I opened my headlights up again.

Changed the main beams to higher power LED projectors, fitted much better DRLs and redesigned the indicators to 5 led pods either side mimicking the shape of the original drls.

Light output in dipped is both fantastic and well controlled, cut off is razor sharp.

Main brands are on another level, bixenons go into full beam, the inner LED main beams come on and so does the light bar.

Last piece of the puzzle on the front of 2 fold.

I want to change the light bar optics, it's is throwing a little too much light on the foreground so I'll change some of the foods for pencil beams. I also want to make it less visible somehow.View attachment 217577 View attachment 217578 View attachment 217579 View attachment 217580

Secondly, I hate both the look and functionality of the fog lights, so I'm going to built black look fog enclosures and fit yellow 3000k LED projector fog lights.

Round the back, I'm building a custom LED reverse light low and centre and making the rear fogs symmetrical.

Then I'll be pretty happy. Ps I'm obsessed by lights and improving they functionality.

Pictures are taken in HDR so makes the lights appear less bright.

Well I got some yellow laminx for the fogs and the flyeye stuff.

I put the laminx on the fogs and then put the flyeye on the fogs and the lightbar.

I also dechromed the fog light grill surrounds.

Still have to think about the main grill, but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Not sure I should post here, I've got so many ideas floating around in my head, and none of them are tame. If only I was a millionaire, there would be some crazy cars built.

One thing I'd probably only consider if I was so loaded it doesn't matter would be a RWD Civic, EF Probably, or EK, idealy using a built K24. Just something that would so unexpected.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Not sure I should post here, I've got so many ideas floating around in my head, and none of them are tame. If only I was a millionaire, there would be some crazy cars built.

One thing I'd probably only consider if I was so loaded it doesn't matter would be a RWD Civic, EF Probably, or EK, idealy using a built K24. Just something that would so unexpected.

You definitely should post those ideas, was the main point of the thread. Post build ideas!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.