RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
A grundfos or salamander positive head pump should work. the newer ones are quiet and can boost low water pressure to >1.5 bar which is decent.
That would be fine for the house, but I think my current pump is just ok for that and I'm now looking to leave that in place anyway.

Have you got the spec on the current pump? too much pressure and you can break pipes. too much flow and you either wont get the benefit because head loss will restrict it or else you will drain your break tank too quick. What sort of piping size and distance have you got between your pump and your outlet where you wash cars? assuming you use a domestic hose rather than a pressure washer, a 3/4" hose (19mm) will help instead of the more typical 1/2" (15mm) as these are very restrictive. Alternatively, hook up a pressure washer.
Current pump is 3.5bar but thats only at 9L/min which is very low flow.

You would be right about the pressure regarding the rest of the plumbing however I have decided to just keep the current pump and add a second which would be only for car and garden use so I could add new plumbing for that from the tanks as it would only be a short run. I've got two massive tanks at the moment and will add a third so I'll not have to worry about using up all the supply. The intent would be to use a 1/2" hose. I don't really like using a pressure washer for the cars most of the time, its just not needed and on my older classics it can force water where you don't want it.

I’d enquire with these guys www.dps-ni.com

They did a tank and pump system for me as I’m up on a hill and water pressure is poor, despite me running a new 32mm pipe the whole way up my fields from the water metre.
Thanks. I'll get touch and see what they suggest. Will likely hit them up for a full plumbing upgrade like you have sometime in the future.

Depending what DPS offer I may just try the BuoQua pump, its a lot more flow and pressure than the current setup and isn't much money, might be worth a try. Has a two year warranty.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BuoQua-Stainless-Centrifugal-Self-priming-Pressure/dp/B07F1SBP9J

71QlIC6rUzL._SL1500_.jpg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Hi there fellas, looking at a house that had a 24ft by 18 ft garage. It’s pretty much a blank canvas but wondered if anyone had a similar dimensioned garage to see what they’ve done with the place?
Thats the same depth (5.4m) as mine currently is and would be enough to squeeze three cars in tightly depending on the garage doors. Or two with loads of room ether side. Not a lot of room being and in front of the cars though. Which side are the doors on? The 24ft side or the 18ft side?

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender
Hi there fellas, looking at a house that had a 24ft by 18 ft garage. It’s pretty much a blank canvas but wondered if anyone had a similar dimensioned garage to see what they’ve done with the place?

My garage is 33ft x 23ft.. completely blank canvas when we moved in, it did have some units built in..

Started off with some great plans... now two children later it’s full of crap :pensive:
Plans this summer for major clear out, new units, lighting, dry line the ceiling and if budget allows purchase a smaller metal shed for all the gardening $hite..

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
My first garage was 27 x 18 and it was great to have enough room in front of a car to work at engines etc out on the bench. I had an L shaped bench in the corner that I unbolted from the wall and took to my current garage. I also fitted a beam for winching engines out at around 18ft along the garage. You could fit two cars in but only get fully around one as the other had to be tight against the wall.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
@EF Ian if you have a flow in mind, let me know and I can price up a grundfos pump if you want. I would also suggest a 3/4” hose rather than the standard 1/2” hose as it won’t restrict flow as much.

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
My first garage was 27 x 18 and it was great to have enough room in front of a car to work at engines etc out on the bench. I had an L shaped bench in the corner that I unbolted from the wall and took to my current garage. I also fitted a beam for winching engines out at around 18ft along the garage. You could fit two cars in but only get fully around one as the other had to be tight against the wall.

Id kill for a 27 X 18, my garage is is about 10 X 20 just enough room to squeeze past a car when its in.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I was lucky in that I found a house with no garage so I could build one the size I wanted. Cavity wall and all, it cost me 4k.... in 1991.

NotKG

Banned
I was lucky in that I found a house with no garage so I could build one the size I wanted. Cavity wall and all, it cost me 4k.... in 1991.
yea, but my Da built a bulgalow for not a lot more the same year.
the metalwork for my garage cost £7½k alone.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I'm sure it was. Nothing is cheap these days. The new extension on my current garage cost around 10k to put up and still needs some finishing.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Shouldn't think it would be anything near that but given that my 1st quote for mine was 25k, I'd be looking at all quotes carefully.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Shouldn't think it would be anything near that but given that my 1st quote for mine was 25k, I'd be looking at all quotes carefully.
Thats a big difference. :eek: Will definitely price around. Its not just a simple extension, will have some steel supporting beams to be altered and two bays with a loft above them and perhaps some work to fit bigger garage doors as well a the pits for the scissor lift. I'm sure it will add up.

j44nty

RMS Regular
My garage is 33ft x 23ft.. completely blank canvas when we moved in, it did have some units built in..

Started off with some great plans... now two children later it’s full of crap :pensive:
Plans this summer for major clear out, new units, lighting, dry line the ceiling and if budget allows purchase a smaller metal shed for all the gardening $hite..
Feel your pain I’ve a double garage including an upstairs over 3000sq feet and you can hardly move in it for being full of junk.

Smoothie

RMS Regular
Drives
F54 Clubman
I got mine from garage pride but your right they don't seem to sell them anymore,mine is the Pro series which I thought was worth the extra.
I tried contacting Newage myself before hand but it was a slow process
Honestly drop round sometime and see what you think

I took a chance and ordered this direct from NewAge. There was 40% off. Which made the Bold series a bit of a bargain. I think they are removing their line from U.K. or something as they have sold out of everything.

2968F838-DB89-4ACF-9932-9BC89E1F6049.jpeg

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
I took a chance and ordered this direct from NewAge. There was 40% off. Which made the Bold series a bit of a bargain. I think they are removing their line from U.K. or something as they have sold out of everything.

View attachment 226193
Excellent, any idea when it will arrive?

I originally tried to order direct but it was about a weeks delay between emails for communication

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
What do you think of the size of it?

I have room for a 8m x 4.25/4.5m all being well and trying to work out what I can do to use the space as best possible.

Hard to know as I haven't started using it but the bigger the better imo. You'll always use the extra space. I only stopped as I wouldn't have had much of a garden left :laughing:

Smoothie

RMS Regular
Drives
F54 Clubman
Excellent, any idea when it will arrive?

I originally tried to order direct but it was about a weeks delay between emails for communication

Confirmation email says allow 1-3 weeks for shipping. Probably allow that again for me to fit them...