RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

RegalComps

RMS Regular
Yes. What issue are you facing mate?
Hi! I don't want to post the pics as our new unit is almost finished, But I had the walls sheeted with plywood, then the screw holes/joints were drylined

The painter has applied 3 coats of matt black paint which has now dried in well, it looks a bit patchy/streaky

The place is really well lit up so maybe this doesnt help, He is coming back to put another coat or 2 down to see if this cures it, He didn't undercoat it, Just 3 coats of matt black paint!

Wondering will more coats cure it or what other option I could do, I went for matt finished vs gloss as I didnt want a reflective surface

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Hi! I don't want to post the pics as our new unit is almost finished, But I had the walls sheeted with plywood, then the screw holes/joints were drylined

The painter has applied 3 coats of matt black paint which has now dried in well, it looks a bit patchy/streaky

The place is really well lit up so maybe this doesnt help, He is coming back to put another coat or 2 down to see if this cures it, He didn't undercoat it, Just 3 coats of matt black paint!

Wondering will more coats cure it or what other option I could do, I went for matt finished vs gloss as I didnt want a reflective surface

What do you mean the holes/joints were drylined? Or did you mean plasterboard rather than plywood?

RegalComps

RMS Regular
What do you mean the holes/joints were drylined? Or did you mean plasterboard rather than plywood?
The sheets are plywood, all the screw holes that were used to fix the sheets to the wooden stud frame were covered and the joint where each sheet sits next to eachother were drylined

Then the whole area was painted matt black, 3 coats

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
The sheets are plywood, all the screw holes that were used to fix the sheets to the wooden stud frame were covered and the joint where each sheet sits next to eachother were drylined

Then the whole area was painted matt black, 3 coats

Drylined isn't really a term you would use with plywood but maybe you mean filled with something?

Either ways there's a bit of a combo of things going on there it seems. With no base coat the paint is probably just sitting on the plywood and not properly keyed to is. Maybe try denibbing/fine sand the area and then thin the pain about 50% and do another couple applications

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Do you just furniture grade birch plywood or just standard stuff?

Standard stuff harder to paint properly wheres birch furniture grade is much better quality and easier painted

Id say another coat or 2 should do it

RegalComps

RMS Regular
You doing a chalkboard wall?

Do you just furniture grade birch plywood or just standard stuff?

Standard stuff harder to paint properly wheres birch furniture grade is much better quality and easier painted

Id say another coat or 2 should do it
I'm not sure to be honest lad, It was got from local Builders Merchants, I would image its standard type

Fingers crossed a few more coats solves it :grinning:

ST Kyle

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335i
Anyone insulated their garage/workshop floor? Starting our build soon 12m x 7.5m and in 2 minds about insulating the floor slab would need to be high compression boards to cope with the car/jeep on it.

Rippy

RMS Regular
Drives
Aerodeck vti
I'm not sure to be honest lad, It was got from local Builders Merchants, I would image its standard type

Fingers crossed a few more coats solves it :grinning:
What paint did you go for?

I'm planning on insulating/sheeting most of my shed and was going to paint it matt black as well

RegalComps

RMS Regular
What paint did you go for?

I'm planning on insulating/sheeting most of my shed and was going to paint it matt black as well
Pretty sure it is leyland emulsion matt black paint, Will have a look at the tin next time I have it

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
Got the flooring fitted above the garage :grinning:

75920799-6C29-4637-8D56-24B588F547BB.jpeg

F0BB2902-2687-4C54-ABD3-E227008447B1.jpeg

5C71E456-72F7-48AE-9655-773C019EBFB7.jpeg

5857D8D8-D663-41AD-818C-5BBEEA72279B.jpeg

B4849878-EDCE-4388-8CF7-5F2B61E69B4C.jpeg

MarkM

RMS Regular
Is it noticeably bad Mark?

Not bad at all, brake discs show it and the handles of my tool box strangely, hopefully a cross flow of air will sort it, the one low level vent helped noticeably so should’ve done the high one sooner really. I’ve really sealed everywhere else, so some ventilation is needed on these

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Trying to find a decent stool for my garage. Main purpose will be to use at a welding bench. I've not found anything like so far.

Hoping for some ideas or examples of what people are using.

I quite like the Dewalt offerings but you cant get them in the uk. Not sure if I want fixed or with wheels. Guess it can't be too high as I need to comfortably use the pedal.

81baG%2BNpwiL._AC_SY450_.jpg
View attachment 316225

Why not make one up out of a race fuel or oil drum?

s1200_384FAD57_BF26_47BD_8CF2_A37357E7C513.jpg

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Sorry if it’s been asked
we own our house in a housing estate
Have a good sized side garden that I want to make use off
35ft by 25ft
Anyone know the size of steel shed I can build before we need to ask for permission or anything?

MarkM

RMS Regular
Sorry if it’s been asked
35ft by 25ft
Anyone know the size of steel shed I can build before we need to ask for permission or anything?

Section 4: Building a Garage or Carport
Garage or Car Port
Planning permission is not required for a detached garage or car port provided that:
1. The garage is used for domestic purposes only.
2. The ground area covered by the garage/car port and any other buildings within the boundary of the property, excluding the original house, is not more than half the total area of the property.
3. No part of the garage is in front of the principal or side elevation of the original house that faces onto a road.
4. The maximum height of the garage/car port is 4 metres.
5. The maximum eaves height of the garage/car port is 2.5 metres if it is within 2 metres of the boundary of the curtilage of the house.
6. No part of the garage is within 3.5 metres of the boundary of the curtilage of the house with a road opposite the rear wall of the house.
7. If you live in a house within An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty the maximum total area of ground covered by buildings situated more than 20 metres from any wall of the house does not exceed 10 square metres.
8. If you live in a house within a Conservation Area or Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty the garage is not situated between the principal or side elevation of the house and itsboundary.
Note: A garage which is attached to the house will be treated as an extension for which the rules in Section 1 will apply. Planning permission is not required providing you comply with the rules for building an extension.
Measurements are always calculated using external measurement

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Sorry if it’s been asked
35ft by 25ft

From memory 30 sq ft is the limit?