Super Unleaded 99 Ron Launch

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Hi guys we still have 99 Super Unleaded at our pumps. It was contract renewal time and we decided to move to the world wide Texaco brand.

The base fuel, Texaco's Supreme Unleaed 97 is arguably better than before and we continue to add our additive making 99 Unleaded, it is also still E5.
Super news..

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
Drives
335i MT Touring
Hi guys we still have 99 Super Unleaded at our pumps. It was contract renewal time and we decided to move to the world wide Texaco brand.

The base fuel, Texaco's Supreme Unleaed 97 is arguably better than before and we continue to add our additive making 99 Unleaded, it is also still E5.

Am I right in thinking this includes the station near Ballybrakes in Ballymoney?

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!

Tbh I've always been a big fan of Texaco fuels and was saddened when they disappeared so much. I've been filling up at your place regularly on 95, 99 and derv. Never a problem and staff are 100% sound. Wouldn't go anywhere else now.

arnbeckett

RMS Regular
OP
arnbeckett
Drives
GTR/Defender
Merry Christmas from SPAR Loughbrickland and SPAR Ballyrobert, we appreciate the business. #99

1000014858.jpg

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Hi newbie here, been following this thread for a bit now and started filling my car up with the 99 ron SU at Mace Clandeboye.

Around the time of the first fill up I noticed I was having to put my foot down a bit going up steep hills. Never thought much of it but it got worse and worse to the point where it was dead when you put your foot down. Took it to the garage and no fault codes came up, I thought it was a coil pack, cam follower or something like that but turns out it was bad petrol.

Needed a new fuel filter(which was absolutely filthy) and spark plugs that were burnt out. Don't even know yet if that's all the damage that was done the car definitely still has some throttle lag it didn't have before all this. All I can do is keep running it hoping it cleans out. Is there anything else I should get checked?

I wouldn't touch Solo SU with a barge pole now. Here's the filter and the "petrol", if you can call it that, that came out. Looks more like shuck water.

Edit: I should add all I'd been using before that was Texaco supreme unleaded from Comber or Sainsbury's at Bangor with no bother at all. I filled up with solo SU 3 or 4 times with nothing else in between so I was using that only.
I used the same fuel back in July two times, purely because of laziness, and about 2 weeks later EML on and running rough.
Coil pack failed.
About 3 weeks after EML on again and running rough.
Another Coil pack gone and three of the eight plugs apparently very red looking, so all eight replaced.
Coil packs replaced under the extended warranty, but plugs were paid for separately.

Mercedes said fuel most likely to be the problem.
Technician said same thing happened with him with that filling station and said he only ever uses BP now.

I am only using BP myself now

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
See now I'm getting worried. Is it that particular place, was it a bad batch, or is it the fuel in general?
I used the fuel in the impreza since in came to Bangor (even though it was mapped for 97ron) and there was never a hint of trouble. Now I've the GTR I've filled twice there but I'm not keen on damaging it in any way. I can switch maps with a push of a button so would near switch to the 97map and go to Texaco Comber like I used to before this appeared.

GrantR

RMS Regular
The organic metallo compounds in the octane booster additives used for our '99 RON' products in NI can cause spark plug fouling and misfires, so not a completely lazy diagnosis.

Last edited:

ShaunB

RMS Regular
imo blaming fuel is an easy get out for mechanics who don’t want to actually investigate problems.
Mercedes had my car for quite some time diagnosing the problems.
They definitely didn't blame the fuel first thing, they were very through with the process of fixing it.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Fair - with so much rubbish often parroted on fuel had just assumed the same again here. Looks like that cliche about assumptions has rung true…

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
@arnbeckett I noticed from the site as well it more of a Northern thing its makes you wonder why they won`t supply it in N.Ireland even have one or two dedicated branches that sell it.

I have sent an email to them more than likely is complete pointless idea but we will see what they reply with.

Reece Kirk

RMS Member
Drives
M240i Auto
Could we not phase out the 'Super' 97 we get in this country and replace it with genuine 99 Ron? i'd happily pay £1.60 if i knew i was getting decent quality juice :grinning: 97 is useless on anything besides a standard car

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I cant even get super in our local Texacos never mind 99ron

Pretty sure Texaco in Comber does SUL - Dundonald Texaco def does. You have BP in Ards and in Ballyhack too. Sainsburys Hollywood Exchange as well.

Solo in Comber does "99" but thats where I had all the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiite of the tank pumped into my car and been having issues since May 2023

Read on from this post of my experience if you are interested:

Last edited:

zafturbo

RMS Regular
There has been a complete wipe out of cars that filled over the last 2 weeks with BP ultimate diesel from there site just outside Larne .i know of 6 vehicles that need some amount of work to put them rite after filling there .One quote to repair was in the regions of £8k .The pumps were closed for 6 days after it was brought to there attention .
So it can happen anywhere it seems .

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
There has been a complete wipe out of cars that filled over the last 2 weeks with BP ultimate diesel from there site just outside Larne .i know of 6 vehicles that need some amount of work to put them rite after filling there .One quote to repair was in the regions of £8k .The pumps were closed for 6 days after it was brought to there attention .

Solo didn't see to GAF to my emails 🤷‍♂️ not even a "thanks for bringing this to our attention"

aaflyer79

RMS Regular
Oh …Ive filled Ultimate D from there around same time. Does more DPF regenerations recently than normal intimate (with no change in driving length etc) something wrong?!
I did notice Carrick BP have out of use over U Diesel recently? Coincidence? However one noticed they had work on their tanks recently so maybe not