The Land Rover/ Range Rover appreciation thread

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Buy 1 of them and you’ll get the full Land Rover experience. You’ll know every member of the JLR staff on a first name basis, you’ll be at the dealership so often you’ll be getting your mail redirected to there, and to top it off, you’ll get to sample just about every other model in the range of all trim levels as courtesy cars (until they break down too) while the ‘technicians’ scratch their heads looking at yours... 👍

the wife’s disco sport had to get the LR technician out via the sos button as the engine management light came on yesterday, she called Charles Hurst who advised her to press the button as they couldn’t look at it until the end of February. Boot is still leaking that they have fixed 3 times aswell.

AA guy arrived and said he spends 90% of his day with discovery’s and discovery sports as they are a nightmare. Her courtesy car is a brand new discovery sport with 12 mile on the clock. Her own hasn’t moved yet. It’s 3 year old in March and if she finds a replacement it will be away. Thankfully she has seen some sense with a replacement.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
the wife’s disco sport had to get the LR technician out via the sos button as the engine management light came on yesterday, she called Charles Hurst who advised her to press the button as they couldn’t look at it until the end of February. Boot is still leaking that they have fixed 3 times aswell.

AA guy arrived and said he spends 90% of his day with discovery’s and discovery sports as they are a nightmare. Her courtesy car is a brand new discovery sport with 12 mile on the clock. Her own hasn’t moved yet. It’s 3 year old in March and if she finds a replacement it will be away. Thankfully she has seen some sense with a replacement.

That’s a terrible situation to be in regarding such a new vehicle.

I hope Hurst JLR have better customer services than their Jeep colleagues though.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
That’s a terrible situation to be in regarding such a new vehicle.

I hope Hurst JLR have better customer services than their Jeep colleagues though.

nope it’s woeful, the girl who advised her was lovely she said. It has been in Donnelly’s 7 times and Charles Hurst at least 10 times over the period. She has had nearly every courtesy car they have and even came home with the service managers car one night 😂

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
nope it’s woeful, the girl who advised her was lovely she said. It has been in Donnelly’s 7 times and Charles Hurst at least 10 times over the period. She has had nearly every courtesy car they have and even came home with the service managers car one night 😂

I stand by my previous post regarding getting the “Full JLR Experience” then, getting to test drive every vehicle on their forecourt... 😂

Have you not looked at rejecting the vehicle, given the time scale and repeated faults?

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
I stand by my previous post regarding getting the “Full JLR Experience” then, getting to test drive every vehicle on their forecourt... 😂

Have you not looked at rejecting the vehicle, given the time scale and repeated faults?

this was the first ones replacement as it was rejected at 6 weeks old. I’m working from home tomorrow and going to call them. With the issues we have had I’ve a direct dial of the girl in customer services, she is ok to try and deal with. everyone thinks they are buying a premium brand, I don’t even think they do premium coffee lol

Was annoyed that I didn’t get an invite to the Christmas dinner as I was there that often lol

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
I would love to have a 2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue at some point. Autobiography, with the over finch kit :heart_eyes:

This popped up on the daily hunt. It isn’t what I described but seems really cheap? Might be a nice one for someone on here

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908281615182
1580255879908.png

Last edited:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
AutoTrader advert said:
We Can Source Stormer, Autobiography, Revere, Stuttgart, Overfinch GT Aero, Cosworth, Fantom, Hamann, Imperials, Lumma, HST, HSR, Magna, Revere, Autovogue, Bespoke, Xclusive

So basically they cater to the tacky, tasteless crowd then, even though they forgot to mention some of the big abominations; Kahn, Startech and Onyx... 😂

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Anyone know where I could get a Good Condition Top Tailgate for a L322?

I might have bought another but it needs a tailgate due to a horrible dent. Would want one with little or no rust preferably and a new one is just crazy money!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Anyone know where I could get a Good Condition Top Tailgate for a L322?

I might have bought another but it needs a tailgate due to a horrible dent. Would want one with little or no rust preferably and a new one is just crazy money!

Try Danny McComb in Dundrum. I believe he has a few for breaking - 028 4372 3561

Jonny_W

RMS Regular

give you a better laugh, the wife’s courtesy car now with a 100mile on it is throwing up a gearbox fault on it 😂

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Good customer of mine asked me today for advice on changing her car. She has narrowed it down to some Mercedes SUV thing, BMW 1 series and an Evoque. I just laughed when she told me her last choice and told her stay well clear 😂

Mackers91

RMS Regular
Lads I'm hopefully going to try get a look at this over the weekend. Always wanted a disco 3 love the look for them but the horror stories have put me off. But I think it's time to bite the bullet.

Any thing in particular I should be looking out for?

Reactions: pkn

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Lads I'm hopefully going to try get a look at this over the weekend. Always wanted a disco 3 love the look for them but the horror stories have put me off. But I think it's time to bite the bullet.

Most of the big issues ‘just happen’ with little or no prior warning. Buy based on what you see, and keep a couple of grand in the glovebox just to be sure... 👍

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I work for JLR and have one through our management car scheme

Brilliant family car - fire any questions at me if I can help

As an insider you're bound to have an opinion on why the brand has such a terrible reputation for reliability... Is it down to design, build, quality control etc?

Appreciate your hands (and mouth) are probably tied by your employer but it would be interesting to hear.

Almost everyone into cars either has experienced directly or second hand some woeful reliability on (in particular) land rover products.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Most of the big issues ‘just happen’ with little or no prior warning. Buy based on what you see, and keep a couple of grand in the glovebox just to be sure... 👍

I have to agree with this. The gearbox in the Rangie was perfect and one day I went out and it had just decided that it didn't feel like it anymore. No warning at all, but if you look online you have an idea of what will go wrong.

My cousin has a 3.0 TDV6 Disco, bought at just over 2years old and by all accounts it has been more or less hassle free. I think they just like to be nurtured rather than abused.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo

Check if the front to rear brake pipes have been replaced - they corrode. Check the timing belt was replaced on time. Check for gearbox flushes/oil changes having been done. 2006 and earlier suffered oil pump failures so if it hasn't been replaced allow for it. The ad doesn't appear to have been written by an enthusiast so I would be wary of poor maintenance. Checking the tyre brands fitted might be a clue. My first D3 was a manual - the auto is by far better for them. if the detachable towbar has been left fitted, they can corrode inside the receiver and rattle. worst case, they fall out. They are a fantastic car

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
All I have wanted for years is a fresh RR sport/full fat

and they have came down to around 30-35k which is a manageable amount but it saddens me that at my time of life when I can afford a decent one I simply don't want to as I know it will probably calf on the way home :joy:

I have decided however when the glanza sells this year as I am turning 29 and no longer wish to be a ricer to use the money from it and replace it with a 90s defender and do a full resto job

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
OP
Nickyyy
Drives
RS6 / DC2
My rangie is going strong, the issue I had with the battery drain seems to have went, so it could've very possibly been the fact that the battery was weak through lack of use, i've left it a few days now and it has started no bother.

One thing I notice now when I get into cars is that I feel like im sitting on the floor being used to being so high up in the RR lol.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
All I have wanted for years is a fresh RR sport/full fat

and they have came down to around 30-35k which is a manageable amount but it saddens me that at my time of life when I can afford a decent one I simply don't want to as I know it will probably calf on the way home :joy:

I have decided however when the glanza sells this year as I am turning 29 and no longer wish to be a ricer to use the money from it and replace it with a 90s defender and do a full resto job

What will a 35k Range Rover do that a £8/9k Range Rover wouldn't do though?

In fact, what does an £8/9k Range Rover do that the likes of my £1600 Range Rover doesn’t do...? 😂

They depreciate at a rapid rate, and adding the depreciation on to possible repair bills, it can definitely make ownership eye watering and wallet raping. I use mine for drawing stone and concrete from the quarry to the sites, and at the weekends I’ll happily be out in the same vehicle taking the family a run. It really is the most versatile vehicle I’ve owned and I can’t see myself being in anything else again, other than maybe a fresher model if anything happens to this 1...

On the note of the 90; have you driven 1 of them any distance? Or had any hands on experience of them? A friend of mine owns a very well built and high spec 300TDi 90 which was built up from a galvanised chassis and has all the bells and whistles including a couple of expensive bucket seats which I made rails for, and it’s maintained to a very high standard, but it’s a horrendous thing to run about in. It was actually at @Coog ’s house the other day, so he can vouch for it. I can not for the life of me see what anyone finds appealing about them though.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
@Nickyyy I would agree with you on that one with the height its one thing attracts me most is the comfort you get even in an older one

@Nicky I fully understand where you are coming from as if anything the older range rovers are probably more likely to perform as they should, but for me a lot of it is the stying of that new RR I just think they are class but if I were to have a choice now it would be a face lift full fat rr with her fairy lights and elf

as for the defender I have driven one a fair distance, they are raw and no hiding it but I guess they are just one of those marmite type vehicles you will either love them or just see them as pointless

great thread all the same nice to see that boys aren't afraid of the tax brackets :joy: