Tr7 V8 Fast Road/sprint/trackday Restoration Project.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
A few cover sections where finalised for the fuel system, An access panel to the fuel pump etc.

Fire wall around the filler area, probably would have been find for scrutineering but now is the time to do it.

3a75cfd5-2860-4501-a836-d31d158912a1.jpeg

87ddacc0-795e-4678-9fc4-fe23772c42cd.jpeg

The Passengers foot well finished for mounting up the Fuse boxes, relays, Battery, ECU and other Gadgetry

The wiring Loom has also had its 1st fix, the legs of the loom have been made up and all holes opened for passing wires and through bulkheads
and routes worked out.

2af25124-43da-4a5c-b1e0-02acebecf0e6.jpeg

IMG_3309.jpeg

The bulk head was close and sealed off around the steering column with a nicely fabricated removable panel.

IMG_0099.jpeg

IMG_0097.jpeg

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
The tunnel and Sequential Linkage where complete..

The Tube was added to the Tunnel to allow for a boot to be fastened around the linkage, both finishing it off nicely and sealing it from the elements.

IMG_0135.jpeg

IMG_0139.jpeg

ba620bfc-b060-4e71-b5a6-61837420a719.jpg

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Rear Callipers and Handbrake..

Thought I would try and beat the need for handbrake cables for MOT so sourced a set of VW Electronic handbrake callipers.

I had seen they where pretty big, but made from alloy so might have been an option.

Passat vs Sierra Cosworth. (I was already tight for space)

e988c208-b7e4-4828-aa9f-4b55e56e3914.jpeg

Usual story, nothing simple.. mounted the discs to find around 1.5mm of runout on the discs.. pulled the hubs off and had the faces
squared up in the lathe, the hubs where used so maybe they had seen a fair bit of action previously.

IMG_0144.jpeg

Offered up the Callipers, they where always going to be a problem with the Links spaced so wide on the axle.

IMG_0145.jpg

So Had to Scallop the boxes on both sides for clearance.

e601b5ed-e9e8-439e-bc3c-80aa26a15f94.jpeg

a1800079-7aa2-474d-81fe-525d607b62ec.jpeg

and while in there, had the final TIG weld done to the 4 links and watts linkage Arms

IMG_0198.jpeg

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
There is still a long List of Things to be done but hopefully another fortnight should do it.

IMG_0056.jpeg

The S62 V8 was dropped down once it was pulled from the M5, it will be stipped of all its gubbins, including the Vanos system.

I have been in touch with a BMW Engine Builder in England who has some left over parts from his E46 GTR.

He has offered me some used Schrick Cams and a Vanos Delete system, which on a stock bottom end, standalone management and
good manifolds (all of which I have) ran for 3 seasons of racing with 550hp.

I've also set a deadline that car is going for blasting and priming 1st week of august and Will go straight to WJ Blair then for paint the day after priming.

Things are moving along nicely, after paint it should all bolt together fairly quickly.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
There is still a long List of Things to be done but hopefully another fortnight should do it.

View attachment 240256

The S62 V8 was dropped down once it was pulled from the M5, it will be stipped of all its gubbins, including the Vanos system.

I have been in touch with a BMW Engine Builder in England who has some left over parts from his E46 GTR.

He has offered me some used Schrick Cams and a Vanos Delete system, which on a stock bottom end, standalone management and
good manifolds (all of which I have) ran for 3 seasons of racing with 550hp.

I've also set a deadline that car is going for blasting and priming 1st week of august and Will go straight to WJ Blair then for paint the day after priming.

Things are moving along nicely, after paint it should all bolt together fairly quickly.

Great progress yada yada. Spill the beans on the 105. Now. ;) ;)

Seriously great progress on the TR, properly barrelling along now. (y)

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Great progress yada yada. Spill the beans on the 105. Now. ;) ;)

Seriously great progress on the TR, properly barrelling along now. (y)

The Alfa? :heart_eyes: Heading towards a lovely classic rally car I believe, stunning cars!!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
@FM155 I bet those cost a Few bob, Beautiful parts tho :heart_eyes:

What is that car to be used for? certainly not forest rally's anyway!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Probably not very much other than posing really. Their GTA290R's now cost over £200K as a fully built car but all the bits are available separately. 😳
I could easily bankrupt myself on one of them. I never tire of this video.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
you've got wild good patience Iain !! the builds are coming along lovely though... man can only drive one toy at a time tho - if you need someone to gently run either in - you have my number ! lol

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Love the detail in thread, just shows how much goes into something like this. Incredible! How many man hours do you reckon are in it even at this point?

Reactions: IL

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Love the detail in thread, just shows how much goes into something like this. Incredible! How many man hours do you reckon are in it even at this point?

I don't keep record of my own Man hours, but there are ~1500hrs recorded so far on my Spread sheet for labour.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
The Very man, he is a good young lad.

He was working to Wishart when the shell was up there and was keen to get it finished for me. His work is top class as well.
Yes he has done a couple of bits for me and always very impressed.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I don't keep record of my own Man hours, but there are ~1500hrs recorded so far on my Spread sheet for labour.
Wow, would hate to have to pay for that, at £30 an hour thats £45k.

• Wow
Reactions: IL

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Wow, would hate to have to pay for that, at £30 an hour thats £45k.

Maths I would rather not do!

My labour costs have averaged at £20 p/h so far.

It still fairly adds up when you add Cost of Proper Parts aswell.

Must update with further progress towards the end of the week :grinning:

Last edited: