Tr7 V8 Fast Road/sprint/trackday Restoration Project.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Link resell AIM products, so it should be a doddle to get it all working as they'll have configs for it.

I used that theory with the dash2 aswell - link used the Dash2 as their own display for years!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Don't think they ever sold it with their name on it though ?

Either way, a modern all colour dash is far easier to view and more useful than a horrible bland lcd display.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
After a few weeks of Zero Enthusiasm - The Long Check list is now almost complete..

I had a number of small oil and fuel leaks to attend too, but this morning the Garage floor is dry..

Made some taller rear top mounts to raise the ride height by 25mm - the platforms where nearly fully up to have it at a useable height, so now I have good ground clearance and adjustment / travel in both directions.

IMG_9308.jpeg

FCBD0C7A-7D3C-4C8C-BC67-9E68559ED5F3.jpeg

Gearbox was in and out about 3 times, New gear Potentiometer Fitted and Gear Display now functioning as it should.

After adding a 7mm spacer made up by @sam_9n to the slave cylinder, I was actually able to drive the car out of the garage today for a quick 1st wash since it was painted...

IMG_9333.jpeg

IMG_9334.jpeg

IMG_9340.jpeg

Have a Wizz Kid coming tomorrow to have one last stab at getting my Current dash2 to work the its ready to be booked in for Mapping :laughing:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Brilliant :cool: Not long now!

You'll need the neighbour's teenager on the display, they'll have it sorted in no time :innocent:😅

Reactions: IL

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Well if they take it back and refund you then that's fair enough. Obviously better if it had worked, lol, but standing over it and refunding is second best (y)

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Well if they take it back and refund you then that's fair enough. Obviously better if it had worked, lol, but standing over it and refunding is second best (y)

No refund being offered unfortunately! i bought this in 2017 :eek:

are just checking it over for free and ensuring the CAN interface is programmed as it should to understand be for the Link ECU CAN output!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Ah, a lot can happen to electronics in four years. And software too. I had an issue with my KPro for the Hondus and had to send it away. I had an old one lying about, hooked it in and loaded the exact same map. Didn't work at all 😅 Turns out the old unit is on older firmware that can't read the map from the newer unit, lol. Luckily I had an old backup copy of the same map but taken from an older unit.

Also had an original Honda ECU that had been sitting on the shelf a few years. Looked absolutely fine. Sent it off to have a KPro added to it but they rejected it as faulty.

This stuff can get obsolete so quickly.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
This stuff can get obsolete so quickly.

I think this could well be the case, they have tried to keep the spec up to date by offering this Adaptor but it really wasn't designed to run with it.

& the ECU is much newer specification - Hopefully they find something up with it or update it or whatever they can to make the fecker work.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Last few weeks have been pretty hectic with other goings on..

The Dash2 got returned to Race Technology for a Free of Charge check over, there where No Faults apparently but they decided I owed them £100 to do a Firmware update on the Dash and CAN Adaptor, this started war.. and I told them to go F*ck. As soon as I received the parts back, In fury I started with the side cutters and removed all traces of the system from my brand new wiring loom :mad:

IMG_9484.jpeg

And in with the 4" Grinder to remove the Dash2 mount - really didn't want to have to do this but needs must.

IMG_9545.jpeg

This only meant one this - Officially Strada time so it arrived yesterday, 2 power wires & 2 cables from the ECU - 20mins setting it up (y)(y)

64719509118__7CBFAAC7-A245-4B63-86E1-CAE4192E3C1C.jpeg

IMG_9559.jpeg

Its a really Smart bit of kit, I didn't actually realise how useful it was so its a great upgrade - When a GPS module is added it allows for Data logging, Lap timing, Video overlay, Track Mapping, and comes with about 10 different screen layouts that you can switch between for Road use, Diagnostics use & Track use.

120-rs3-super-stretch-1.png

MXS_screen_options_600x600.png

The car is now booked to get setup electronically & mapped at TDP Wicklow Next Wednesday.

In the mean time i'm building up a set of split rims for Trackday Slicks in preparation for its Maiden Voyage & installed a Composite Guard for under the dry sump tank to protect the base from being puctured by Stones..

IMG_9442.jpeg

IMG_9541.jpeg

Next Update should have some on the pipe Rolling Road videos & Power Figure :laughing:

Attachments

• 64725355364__7757590B-451A-46CC-B8AD-DDDF5D594364 2.jpeg
    64725355364__7757590B-451A-46CC-B8AD-DDDF5D594364 2.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 120-rs3-super-stretch.png
    120-rs3-super-stretch.png
    936 KB · Views: 29

jayme

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini/ A7
Im looking forward to seeing this Ian, fair play for sorting the Dash 2 problem, I think you knew it was the right move for some time

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Very Nice great hassle free upgrade.

It's great - very easy to use & setup

Finalised the install last night - I still hate wiring :expressionless: But doing it yourself beats waiting weeks on end for someone else to do it!

IMG_9583.jpeg

Had to Suss out what all these wires I cut actually did, cross ref. this with the AIM, make up a new loom for the 'Alarms' side of the Dash.

Now I have a notification for Indicators, Side Lights, Main Beam, Fuel Light, High Oil Temp and High Water Temp.

As well as programming a Large flag notification on the Main screen for Low Voltage & Low Oil Pressure.

Tidied the wiring and finally fixed the Dash in place - very pleased with the Outcome

IMG_9584.jpeg

Last edited:

Andy55

RMS Regular
Fantastic build and nice tidy job on the dash.
What's it like for glare? Would it need a small shroud or not an issue on track?

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Fantastic build and nice tidy job on the dash.
What's it like for glare? Would it need a small shroud or not an issue on track?

It is pretty shiney and reflective when its turned off but when its on its fine.

Im planning to install a 3D Printed Peak like this and trim it to match the dash board :grinning:

95410C7A-0DD4-4574-8C53-1E815900E62A.jpeg

That should finish it nicely!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Always a last Minute panic..

833651AE-6201-496E-A809-8F88510FE8E5.jpeg

Sat in the garage without any leaks for 6weeks

4F172581-D225-4A4A-AD5B-90B2F67CEEDD.jpeg

but anyway - dispatched to Co. Wicklow.. beautiful day for the spin down..

7849584F-3EAD-436A-9134-C6A63A0C5859.jpeg

Collection Planned for Monday coming - Fully mapped & Geometry done. Keep your fingers crossed for me it all holds together!

Then Road Tax & ready for use.. 😁