VW diesel emissions scandal

Nutts

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi R8
Mercedes also doing exactly the same thing. My 2015 C class just recalled for engine management modifications. According to members on MB forums the result is worse economy and more adblue consumption. They classify it as a mandatory update and has been registered with the DVSA. I wonder if it would be flagged during an MOT test?

Nutts

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi R8
As the owner of the vehicle you have the right to refuse any update as it’s your car
Thanks mk2. You may be right and I hope you are. However in this case the recall is registered with the DVSA as a safety recall even though it's not strictly safety related (you could argue environment as just as important but that's for another thread) This is not just some adhoc optimisation change it's a mod to make the car compliant with the emissions data that is documented in the certificate of conformity and the V5. I'm not sure if the MOT centres are linked up the DVSA where the vehicle recalls are recorded. Thanks to the covid extension I'll only find out next march
Screenshot_20201008-214600_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Thanks mk2. You may be right and I hope you are. However in this case the recall is registered with the DVSA as a safety recall even though it's not strictly safety related (you could argue environment as just as important but that's for another thread) This is not just some adhoc optimisation change it's a mod to make the car compliant with the emissions data that is documented in the certificate of conformity and the V5. I'm not sure if the MOT centres are linked up the DVSA where the vehicle recalls are recorded. Thanks to the covid extension I'll only find out next marchView attachment 298133

I work in this area - as the owner of the vehicle you have the right to refuse the change

Personally I would have it but that’s my own view on it

Can you share the data that shows it as a safety recall as I very much doubt it will be listed as that - it should be listed as an emissions recall

Nutts

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi R8
I work in this area - as the owner of the vehicle you have the right to refuse the change

Personally I would have it but that’s my own view on it

Can you share the data that shows it as a safety recall as I very much doubt it will be listed as that - it should be listed as an emissions recall
I'm probably doing a 2+2=5 you are correct, nowhere does it specify explicitly in the letter that this is a "safety recall" although the letter from MB also included a leaflet from the DVSA on "The UK Safety Recalls Scheme"

20201009_105740.jpg

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I'm probably doing a 2+2=5 you are correct, nowhere does it specify explicitly in the letter that this is a "safety recall" although the letter from MB also included a leaflet from the DVSA on "The UK Safety Recalls Scheme"

View attachment 298156

Yeah the DVSA will track it but it’s not safety related as you say

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Welp, paid to have the reversal done and a map at the same time. No reversal carried out considering its all I was talking about and was assured would be done, however it has been mapped (which I'd be able to do myself for like £30). Hopefully will be able to get it sorted but not too worried if not, used to getting ****ed about 🙄
Was that with the crowd in Carryduff?

Did you end up doing it yourself?

SH4U11

RMS Regular
Drives
AudiA6
@BobSpounge mate that comment caught me off guard there and I bust out laughing! Woke the missus out of her sleep and she's slabbering like f#ck and me 😂😂😂

How ever. I suspect my motor has had the Fix... I've not read this whole threat, but is there a way to check? My motor is dead!

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
@BobSpounge mate that comment caught me off guard there and I bust out laughing! Woke the missus out of her sleep and she's slabbering like f#ck and me 😂😂😂

How ever. I suspect my motor has had the Fix... I've not read this whole threat, but is there a way to check? My motor is dead!
Car needs plugged into VCDS and it can tell you what version your car is running.

SH4U11

RMS Regular
Drives
AudiA6
@ruairi83 do you know of anyone that has it? would love to get it checked to see. I would say then that its just a matter of a map, rather than pulling the 'Fix' off.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
@SH4U11

@BBSBOY @cbr600 are two that I can think of up near you with VCDS. I’m in Derry/L’Derry, if you ever down here, I can check in few mins as have Full VCDS here. I spoke to Ryan at autotune about it and he said the fix cars are tuned differently as the fix changed a lot of different parameters and they take long to tune.

SH4U11

RMS Regular
Drives
AudiA6
Thanks Ruairi and Gary. I rang Audi, the car had it done in 2017! :worried: there is definitly no way to get that pulled off?

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
There's a facebook group you can ask on there about tuners who can reverse the fix. I have never asked yet my car is still running fine and i get decent MPG and the DPF has only blocked once and that was because I was doing short journeys because of covid. I want to get a reversal done eventually though.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Thanks Ruairi and Gary. I rang Audi, the car had it done in 2017! :worried: there is definitly no way to get that pulled off?
Maybe ring Ryan at autotune bud? I have declined it on any car I have had and made sure it was declined on Q3 as Audi wanted to do it when I got it. No chance!

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
A lot of reports that more dpf regens, failed injectors and EGR with the ea189 fix.

Not a surprise really - NOx and particulates are a direct trade off and they had to lower NOx. EGR is only there to lower NOx so will be working harder. They’ll have pushed the injector pulse width and number of fuelling events as well to try and get as good combustion as possible

All in all they had to reverse all of the benefits they gained from cheating

PaddyCvr

RMS Regular
Drives
Lancer/Mazda
@ruairi83 do you know of anyone that has it? would love to get it checked to see. I would say then that its just a matter of a map, rather than pulling the 'Fix' off.
Needs reversed then mapped mate. The map won't reverse any of the negatives that the fix applies. Paid to have mine done originally though a recommendation from the facebook group Gary linked above. Turned out to only be a map which I could have applied myself as I have a tool. Ended up buying a ODIS/VAS tool to reverse mine.