VW diesel emissions scandal

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
What do you mean by viable though?
Also I simply think that this is PR to get Brexit out of the headlines, I honestly do not think it will actually happen when they say it will
Alongside this hybrids are actually one of the best options for overall CO2 life cycle reduction - I think the legislation will change to allow hybrids but with a minimum EV range to be allowed

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
my passat is booked in for the ea189 update next week, i know there seems to be a lot of people saying not to get it done. my reasoning behind wanting it done, is that the car now and then goes into limp mode and it is due to a clogged egr cooler. once the update is done then they cover the egr system for 2 years so am thinking once the updates done next time it goes into limp mode it goes into vw for a new egr cooler foc.

Darren91

RMS Regular
my passat is booked in for the ea189 update next week, i know there seems to be a lot of people saying not to get it done. my reasoning behind wanting it done, is that the car now and then goes into limp mode and it is due to a clogged egr cooler. once the update is done then they cover the egr system for 2 years so am thinking once the updates done next time it goes into limp mode it goes into vw for a new egr cooler foc.

if there is a pre-existing fault they won’t apply the software.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
What do you mean by viable though?
Also I simply think that this is PR to get Brexit out of the headlines, I honestly do not think it will actually happen when they say it will
Alongside this hybrids are actually one of the best options for overall CO2 life cycle reduction - I think the legislation will change to allow hybrids but with a minimum EV range to be allowed

A car that can only travel 200 miles and then requires a 4 hour charge to travel another 200, in my view is not a viable option. Also there are a serious lack of charging stations, particularly when you move outside the cities.

Until the cars have a longer range, reduced charging times and increased charging locations they are IMO not viable. For quite a lot of people they would also need to be a lot cheaper.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
A car that can only travel 200 miles and then requires a 4 hour charge to travel another 200, in my view is not a viable option. Also there are a serious lack of charging stations, particularly when you move outside the cities.

Until the cars have a longer range, reduced charging times and increased charging locations they are IMO not viable. For quite a lot of people they would also need to be a lot cheaper.

Usage data disagrees - average commute at 10 miles and average annual mileage of less than 10k

How often do you drive over 200 miles? How often would you want to do that without a decent stop?

I agree that the infrastructure needs to improve but EVs work even today for most people just through home charging if people actually worked it out objectively instead of getting range anxiety

I do agree on the cost and it will start to come down with economies of scale

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Usage data disagrees - average commute at 10 miles and average annual mileage of less than 10k

How often do you drive over 200 miles? How often would you want to do that without a decent stop?

I agree that the infrastructure needs to improve but EVs work even today for most people just through home charging if people actually worked it out objectively instead of getting range anxiety

I do agree on the cost and it will start to come down with economies of scale

I actually do quite a lot of road trips and would cover a trip or 200 miles or more about 1 a month, I really like to get out and enjoy my car. Thats why I bought it.

Covered 900 miles in 3 days last month on a trip to Kerry, that wouldn't be possible in an electric car.

I never understood people who buy expensive or performance cars and then only use them for their daily commute or trips to the shop, you may as well buy something cheap and/or bland, you are going to have the same experience in start/stop rush hour traffic.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I actually do quite a lot of road trips and would cover a trip or 200 miles or more about 1 a month, I really like to get out and enjoy my car. Thats why I bought it.

Covered 900 miles in 3 days last month on a trip to Kerry, that wouldn't be possible in an electric car.

I never understood people who buy expensive or performance cars and then only use them for their daily commute or trips to the shop, you may as well buy something cheap and/or bland, you are going to have the same experience in start/stop rush hour traffic.

Fair enough but surely you understand you are in the minority? As I said for most journeys and EV even with current tech is absolutely perfect

Most people who do trips >200 miles will also stop for a break and when the 100kW charging network is better it won’t really be an inconvenience

It’s not perfect currently but too many people dismiss it without actually giving it thought and also driving the cars

I spend a reasonable amount of time in I-Paces and they are fantastic - faster in real world driving than most things other than super cars yet also almost silent and relaxing on the daily commute

I would have one tomorrow if I could but they aren’t available to my grade on the car scheme at the minute

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
lo

lol he announces that 4 days after IONITY increased their rates for charging by 500%.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Fair enough but surely you understand you are in the minority? As I said for most journeys and EV even with current tech is absolutely perfect

Most people who do trips >200 miles will also stop for a break and when the 100kW charging network is better it won’t really be an inconvenience

It’s not perfect currently but too many people dismiss it without actually giving it thought and also driving the cars

I spend a reasonable amount of time in I-Paces and they are fantastic - faster in real world driving than most things other than super cars yet also almost silent and relaxing on the daily commute

I would have one tomorrow if I could but they aren’t available to my grade on the car scheme at the minute

Fair enough, but I did read an article that proved that whatever hybrids saved in emissions when being driven didn’t offset the carbon used to manufacture and build them.

So in actual terms a petrol car caused less emissions over its lifespan when the two were compared.

Unfortunately I don’t think the timeframe being set by the UK government is realistic, and is in part just to grab headlines.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The big elephant in the room too, with all these fools saying they reduce emissions....Well not so much. They just push any emissions and waste elsewhere. To then become someone elses problem.

A bit like plastic waste, nuclear waste, etc etc.....There does need to be a massive reduction alright. But lets start at the route cause. 1 person can only produce so much waste of any kind. Many billions of people...produce many billions more.
Reduce those billions, you actually reduce waste.

Cars are not the problem. But if all these governments werent up their own arse hypocrites following the line of BS they spout, ....all of their own vehicles would be electric already, as would all council vehicles, government vehicles etc etc.

Do we see Boris sailing about in full electric vehicles ? All London buses or taxis ? All local council cars, vans, bin lorries etc etc ? All vehicles that would be easy to do, they know the miles they cover daily, there are no surprises with the ranges they need to cover etc.
They should lead by example

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR

Most people can't charge at home - anyone with on street parking, living in flats, etc.

Most people can't charge at work - anyone who works in places which don't provide dedicated spaces for staff, or not enough of them.

Most people can't afford the cost of buying/renting an electric car, they're definitely a premium option.

Agree completely that electric cars can work for a lot of people. And they will help.

But they're far from the panacea they're made out to be.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
And it will be a few decades before they come close to being that

Although at least this is a step forward. Hydrogen makes a lot more sense. Although 3 wont go too far....and being double deckers, likely some t**t will drive them under a bridge.

dufunk

RMS Regular
Makes way more sense, I see Wrightbus missed out on a huge order from ROI for those buses they went with a Scottish company. Looks like England are going with all electric buses mainly London probably as they should have the infrastructure.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Where there are greedy lawyers, there's a claim, even when there is no justification for it whatsoever.

Wonder when there will be claims against these battery vehicles ? They aren't as clean as they claim, they don'd do the miles they claim...etc etc

PaddyCvr

RMS Regular
Drives
Lancer/Mazda
Welp, paid to have the reversal done and a map at the same time. No reversal carried out considering its all I was talking about and was assured would be done, however it has been mapped (which I'd be able to do myself for like £30). Hopefully will be able to get it sorted but not too worried if not, used to getting ****ed about 🙄

PaddyCvr

RMS Regular
Drives
Lancer/Mazda
Ordered an ODIS cable that should be able to reverse my Pissrat. Great info on this site VAG-Flashfiles Information

It's a clone ODIS-E cable from Aliexpress, have all the fix / prefix files downloaded, so just waiting on it turning up. If it works, happy to reverse anyone who's brave enough. :p

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I'll take a reversal if you don't brick your ecu lol. I need to check which file I have on mine but it shows up on the vw website as having the fix going by my vin.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
vw emissions2.jpg

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
So it seems Bond Turner are the solicitors now handling the bulk of the VW Emissions compensation claims, on a no-win-no-fee basis. They have around 8000 cases lodged so far.

If anyone was affected and fancies a crack at it, you can fill out their form here