Wanted - vw Golf R32

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Is the sti not insured and taxed all year if not would it not be a better / cheaper option to just have it sitting legal all year rather than having 3 cars and a van.
In saying that ,that’s exactly what I have sitting at my door lol.
2 cars. Subaru is going next weekend.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Well that changes everything! Out of that lot probably the Z4 or TT, if the interior was a different colour.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Sums up Subaru ownership for a lot of folk!
Trying to keep the thread on topic , but all I'll say is for the money i put in to the car I only drove 20k miles. Of those 20k I'd say 5k was enjoyed, 10k was general use, 5k was before during and straight after rebuild.

To now just keep it sitting in the garage with no purpose or desire to go out in it is actually annoying. It's more today's roads thats turned me off driving , not the cars themselves.

Gambit

RMS Regular
Still think that z4 is perfect. Its last of old school being 3.0 straight 6 NA...uncomplicated

I keep on looking at it and cant believe they are that cheap. Looks wise they look worth a lot more than 6k

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Still think that z4 is perfect. Its last of old school being 3.0 straight 6 NA...uncomplicated

I keep on looking at it and cant believe they are that cheap. Looks wise they look worth a lot more than 6k
Sounds a bit tatty just. But a couple hundred would fix drivers seat leather and a steering wheel retrim. Just not sure that the fun factor should be the main purpose of the car as that's not what it'll be used for in any way what so ever. But I do still wonder if i had a car like it , I'd take a notion some night and go do some doughnuts :imp:.
Wouldn't get that in Golf.

Gambit

RMS Regular
Sounds a bit tatty just. But a couple hundred would fix drivers seat leather and a steering wheel retrim. Just not sure that the fun factor should be the main purpose of the car as that's not what it'll be used for in any way what so ever. But I do still wonder if i had a car like it , I'd take a notion some night and go do some doughnuts :imp:.
Wouldn't get that in Golf.

Need to check it has a diff in it...might not. But they seem to get great reviews on reading, plus I think its be a lovely thing to have an afternoon drive out in....

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Need to check it has a diff in it...might not. But they seem to get great reviews on reading, plus I think its be a lovely thing to have an afternoon drive out in....
He's just sent me a pic of every single mark on it. Nothing major at all but still quite alot. A good filler glaze and a few stone chips fixed and it would be grand for my use. Recent wheel refurb too. He seems a good guy.
Just need to decide if i want one. It's not a great spec inside, think its actually got a cassette player stereo:joy:
I'm going more towards the grey GTI above at the min if I'm honest.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
My car to fill a similar role, that just sits beside the house week to week, is a BMW E39 528i Auto Sport. It has black leather and 19" wheels and looks perfectly presentable, so I can take it anywhere, if the van or Land Rover are too scruffy, and modern enough to be OK, old enough to be cheap, and doesn't break down just sitting there like other cars I've had have done.
It cost very little and is worth very little, so it's almost zero cost motoring, which for a spare car is perfect. Personally I wouldn't have a car sitting about as a spare that hadn't completed it's depreciation cycle, as that's literally just wasted money.
If I was doing it again and didn't have the BMW, I would get a 04-06 ish Avensis estate. Or a Subaru Forester. Not ideal if you need DSG though, but that's another plus point on the BMW.
You don't want an exciting car sitting as the spare. It's supposed to be the backup to cover you when something on the fragile but exciting car breaks!

(Of course, it's 100% do as I say, not as I do. I'm driving a straight diesel Berlingo and have five V6/inline-6 petrol cars as "backup"...)

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
I went to see that VW Golf in Ards back in April. Seemed a solid car. Had an EML on then so worth asking what he did to get it fixed. He thought it was the charcoal filter on it.

Annoyingly back then it was up for sale but then not really up for sale, as he hadn’t found a car to replace it with. Also insisted he conducted the test drive. Who’d ever buy a car they weren’t allowed to drive?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I went to see that VW Golf in Ards back in April. Seemed a solid car. Had an EML on then so worth asking what he did to get it fixed. He thought it was the charcoal filter on it.

Annoyingly back then it was up for sale but then not really up for sale, as he hadn’t found a car to replace it with. Also insisted he conducted the test drive. Who’d ever buy a car they weren’t allowed to drive?
I'm near sure he replied that the car he was looking at to replace it with fell through and is on the lookout again. I'd bet I'll get a similar story to yours.
If its the same guy.

Toeman

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf gti pp
These things happen very hard to let ur own cr go if you have nothing to replace it with

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
I'd be tempted to let my candy white mk5 GTI go if the offer was right. Just turned 95k, drives brilliant, just replaced the PCV valve and cam follower. Sitting around 260bhp from the last RR printout