We buy any car - what a massive difference in price in 4 months..

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Any alternatives locally to Motorway and WBAC that will come and lift a car?

Selling a car on behalf of a deceased family member, it hasn't been driven since she died last year and needs an MOT. Will need 2 front tyres for the MOT and nobody really wants to be driving the car so would rather sell as it sits.

Motorway insisting on an MOT, told us to put it through with the bald front tyres as it's just an advisory lol, wtf 😂

I'd try to sell it privately for them but I've no time plus it's around the 13/14k price point so most people would want dealer facilities at that

Theres this local crowd:

And theres Hursts car buyers too.

Sometimes NI MOTs arent showing up on English systems if Motorway were using one such system.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Actually just checked it there and it's showing as MOTd still until August so Motorway are full of sh1te. Not sure what system they were checking it on
They're English so they will have checked on the English system where yours won't show up at all.

And being English they'll have no clue there's a different system for NI cars, lol.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Theres this local crowd:

And theres Hursts car buyers too.

Sometimes NI MOTs arent showing up on English systems if Motorway were using one such system.

Hursts offered me £2k less than Motorway, £13.5k compared to £15.5k. Tried Jax there, will see what they offer.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
How do we think prices are going to go now short to medium term? Normal depreciation from current highs or a big drop on the horizon?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Don't see any signs of further drops at the moment, and don't see any incentive for fuel suppliers to do so. But who knows... 🤷‍♂️

We will have a government in Westminster again at some point next week. No idea what that might look like, but both candidates have talked about reducing VAT on fuel and dropping things like "green" levies.

No idea what will come of that either, or if it will make any difference at the pump. Historically that kind of thing has been hit and miss at best...

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Don't see any signs of further drops at the moment, and don't see any incentive for fuel suppliers to do so. But who knows... 🤷‍♂️

We will have a government in Westminster again at some point next week. No idea what that might look like, but both candidates have talked about reducing VAT on fuel and dropping things like "green" levies.

No idea what will come of that either, or if it will make any difference at the pump. Historically that kind of thing has been hit and miss at best...

Was talking about the prices of cars and not fuel though no doubt both are linked.

schoolboy

RMS Regular
The new car shortages are still apparent. Some electric orders have been stopped due to parts shortages so that may push up or maintain the higher prices for another while?
I imagine it may keep used prices up if the demand is still there?

Dan.86

RMS Regular
I checked mine on Saturday, not much change

AC107751-1D75-48E2-ADD4-1F10428789B3.jpeg

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Id generally look at the 5k and under market as well as a few cars I’d like to buy at higher budgets but all older and what id consider to be on the turn in value to start going up (and have done over the last 2 tears) or at least very near it.

And prices have definitely fallen, for normal stuff not by that much, for out of the ordinary stuff (mostly big v8’s) the odd one goes at the same strong money but alot are sitting a long time and then finally having to drop the price significantly to get it sold.

I think it will continue like this until inflation, high energy prices and interest rates drop, with ordinary stuff seeing a moderate drop in demand and price without falling off a cliff, and modern and older classics seeing a steady decline towards pre covid prices with ur average joe no longer buying that yolo weekend car.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I know a few people with cars on finance that the dealership has talked them into getting a new car early (end of this year, start of next sort of time). Kinda makes me think they're onto a winner as they're signing them up to a deal for another few years (at more than they were paying currently), shifting on a new car, and getting a 2 year old car to sell while it's still worth decent money.

Also noticed Charles Hurst Premium Direct in Ards was virtually empty last week ? Always wonder what that's all about, its happend to a couple of places near me. All the stock seems to dissappear overnight for a few weeks then back to normal ?

A mate who buys and sells lower end used cars has said some of the cars he goes to look at are silly money.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Funny I'd heard CAP was falling back (dramatically enough too) from a few people in the motor industry.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
I wonder how many will be wanting new cars when their current mortgage deal comes to an end early next year and they are possibly paying 3-400 extra on it?

I think the cheap end will stay very strong as I believe some on pcp might have to bail and look elsewhere for transport.

Back in the day you got a loan for a car, now you can get one for a hoodie…..,sort of tells you a lot about the way people look at their finances these days.

Thank **** my only outlay is my mortgage.

Last edited:

Dan.86

RMS Regular
I know a few people with cars on finance that the dealership has talked them into getting a new car early (end of this year, start of next sort of time). Kinda makes me think they're onto a winner as they're signing them up to a deal for another few years (at more than they were paying currently), shifting on a new car, and getting a 2 year old car to sell while it's still worth decent money.

Also noticed Charles Hurst Premium Direct in Ards was virtually empty last week ? Always wonder what that's all about, its happend to a couple of places near me. All the stock seems to dissappear overnight for a few weeks then back to normal ?

A mate who buys and sells lower end used cars has said some of the cars he goes to look at are silly money.
I think they’ve moved operations across the road to beside Renault. Seems now to be full of Premium offerings. Maybe just don’t have the space to bring that last 5/6 still there

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
I wonder how many will be wanting new cars when their current mortgage deal comes to an end early next year and they are possibly paying 3-400 extra on it?

I think the cheap end will stay very strong as I believe some on pcp might have to bail and look elsewhere for transport.

Back in the day you got a loan for a car, now you can get one for a hoodie…..,sort of tells you a lot about the way people look at their finances these days.

I’ve lost count how many posts I’ve read from you where you like to slag other peoples finances while at the same time like to brag about your mortgage , or the size of your house/ garden etc

Might have to be the first person I’ve added to the ignore list

Dan.86

RMS Regular

I recently took out a bank loan to clear my car pcp and the difference in interest is jaw dropping. Went from £100ish to £30ish. Managed to pay a chunk off it too so decent bit of equity in it now if WBAC valuation is anything to go by if **** hits the fan. We feel we’ve peaked too with our current fleet so aren’t for changing the cars until absolutely necessary way into the distant future. Spending is still mental out there and it now scares the crap out of me having any more liabilities

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
I’ve lost count how many posts I’ve read from you where you like to slag other peoples finances while at the same time like to brag about your mortgage , or the size of your house/ garden etc

Might have to be the first person I’ve added to the ignore list

I don’t care how anyone runs their ship and saying some might have to make a few changes is hardly slaging them off!

Ohh add sorry for posting a pic of my ****ing back garden, that seemed to have annoyed you too!

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
My wbac valuation is down a good bit but I’ve added 10k miles so that’s probably bringing it down too. Currently at 110k last valuation was around the 100k mark.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I recently took out a bank loan to clear my car pcp and the difference in interest is jaw dropping. Went from £100ish to £30ish. Managed to pay a chunk off it too so decent bit of equity in it now if WBAC valuation is anything to go by if **** hits the fan. We feel we’ve peaked too with our current fleet so aren’t for changing the cars until absolutely necessary way into the distant future. Spending is still mental out there and it now scares the crap out of me having any more liabilities

Yeah PCP interest is nuts. There's benefits from taking it out initially but then probably best to clear it later on. Best of both worlds then.

I think I'll continue to wait. I've fancied changing the Cayenne for a while now - it owes me very little so it's value is of less concern than the scope for loss on the other end. Buying something and the arse dropping out of the market would be quite annoying (such is my luck in these sorts of things lol).

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yeah PCP interest is nuts. There's benefits from taking it out initially but then probably best to clear it later on. Best of both worlds then.

I think I'll continue to wait. I've fancied changing the Cayenne for a while now - it owes me very little so it's value is of less concern than the scope for loss on the other end. Buying something and the arse dropping out of the market would be quite annoying (such is my luck in these sorts of things lol).

This is where I am. As much as I want to change now, I’m definitely tipping more towards keeping it for a year or so.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives

That’s what I was getting at tbh, limit your debt and outgoing as much as possible and be able to better weather what’s coming.

People holding off and holding on to their cars will keep prices strong for those looking at something cheaper to run for a few years.

My wife’s car is 8 years old now, she would like to change but we are holding off just to see how things look early next year.

Last edited:

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
My c-class has dropped 2k in value but when I did the valuation last time it was 98k and now it’s 103k which may have something to do with it. Either way I would say come winter time with the energy crisis etc that is looming, I would assume changing the car because you fancy it rather than a must may become less and less. I know personally even I have curtailed the spending (just incase).

Commercial market however I have noticed the second hand transits upwards of 6/8 years there is no problem with options and prices as I’m currently looking atm downside is there’s a lot of rubbish still at big money but they don’t appear to be selling

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
This is where I am. As much as I want to change now, I’m definitely tipping more towards keeping it for a year or so.

I think a lot will depend on the difference you're looking at to change. If everything drops 5% and you're going from a £2000 car to a £30000 car then obviously that's got more of an impact on your overall position than going from £20000 to £30000, if you know what I mean. There's man maths there and spreadsheetery but it makes sense.

That’s what I was getting at tbh, limit your debt and outgoing as much as possible and be able to better weather what’s coming.

People holding off and holding on to their cars will keep prices strong for those looking at something cheaper to run for a few years.

My wife’s car is 8 years old now, she would like to change but we are holding off just to see how things look early next year.

Yeah might hold off too. I guess that could be commonplace and we might not see any decrease in prices lol