We buy any car - what a massive difference in price in 4 months..

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Same with the wife’s 2018 Tucson, but as has been said, replacing it will cost more too unless anyone can hold tight to see if they start to drop again. Personally I can’t see that happening for a while..
Yeap all of above is fine and dandy if you can do without a car for the next while.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I got an email yesterday saying WBAC can offer me more for my car so did a quote. £556 less than the last time I got the same email 🤣
E2498D0A-8B90-4471-A3E8-5557C3C54987.png

Dave..

RMS Regular
Today we sold our countryman to Bells of Crossgar.
Offered £18250 + £500 so happy days and no hassle.
We spoke to Eamon Bell - 028 4483 3233
He had just taken an M4 in and it originally cost 12 months ago £50k and the owner got £52k back, so they were very happy.

IMG_4872.JPEG

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Today we sold our countryman to Bells of Crossgar.
Offered £18250 + £500 so happy days and no hassle.
We spoke to Eamon Bell - 028 4483 3233
He had just taken an M4 in and it originally cost 12 months ago £50k and the owner got £52k back, so they were very happy.

View attachment 332736
Seeing as I sent you the link does that mean I get half price antiques for life? :joy:

Tbf I think they are giving really fair prices, and if its anything like my mates dealings with them it would make you want to buy a car off them as well

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
No problem :joy:

For sure but he did say he thinks changes will be happening sooner rather than later.
What was the price like compared to WBAC?

Edit: Never mind see it back a page, you must be well chuffed!

Dave..

RMS Regular
What was the price like compared to WBAC?

Edit: Never mind see it back a page, you must be well chuffed!
Yes, we still had another 17 months pcp, plus also had to buy 4 tyres and a full service at Mini before we handed the car back so a win win. Thanks for the link.
Agnews and Charles Hurst car buyer offered £18k max.

Rallyfreaks

RMS Regular
Drives
Golfs
Agnew’s gave us £500 more than their online bid, despite noticing few marks on lower spoiler on 2018 XC60. Would defo recommend them - totally hassle free and no bull.
Hursts and WBAC all knocked good bit off for same marks, although tbf Hursts did try to match Agnew’s. Ill never go back near that WBAC place at Boucher.
Some competition to buy your car, although as has been said all relative as new cars so hard to get and other fresh second hand stuff is through the roof price wise.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Starting to wonder if I should sell my daily civic or not, only looking about a grand for it but looking at replacements and anything I’ve seen is about a grand more than the auto trader valuation🤔

DreamTheater

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Civic
Starting to wonder if I should sell my daily civic or not, only looking about a grand for it but looking at replacements and anything I’ve seen is about a grand more than the auto trader valuation🤔
I am in the same boat - spent £700 on mine for the MOT, everything is overpriced - 10 year old cars priced at £4k.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's across the board so it's pure inflation now. Same covid inflation as for everything else. It's not higher actual values.

The numbers may be higher but at the end of the day it's the same equation: price of replacement - trade-in for current => decide if it is worth it.

The cheapest car/house/wife/whatever is always the one you have, so just a matter if the cost of replacing is worth it.

I don't think we have seen the end of this inflation either. It's already spilling over into wages in some sectors. Add labour shortfalls from Brexit, and Brexit driven inflation, and we have a perfect storm.

Last edited:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Same here @DreamTheater, I spent about £800 in March on tyres, service, new brakes and a front shock/spring so I’m in two minds now after having a good look on AT, UCNI, gumtree and seeing the prices of stuff that I thought I could have swapped into and maybe only have to add a few hundred or a grand to and have something a bit fresher in years 🤷‍♂️

Dave..

RMS Regular
For us it was perfect as we would have had expenses with tyres, service and extending the warranty, just means buying something bigger at the cheaper end of the market for 12 months use and then seeing what prices are like. It will also be nice to have no more pcp payments.

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
Drives
mediocrely
Been offered £2500 more than I paid for the wife's car in April.

Thankfully schools go back next week so I'm not allowed to sell it 🙃

Surely this is a temporary issue linked to new car supply and will crash quickly?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I’ve no idea of it will crash but I’ve decided to hold onto my civic derv for all I’d get for it rather than overpay for a replacement. People asking £4k for a mk5 derv golfs with moon miles 🤔

Jason

RMS Regular
Guys if anyone has anything tasty 2016 on BMW, Merc, Mini, VW, Seat, Skoda sub 70k miles send me a PM, we offer good money for high spec cars.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's mostly inflation. Some of it demand/supply issues, but mostly inflation. Inflation won't drop back. It's the same with cars, building supplies, computers, garden supplies, fuel, housing, pretty much anything. Driven by pent up demand and hundreds of billions of made up Covid money.

It's just numbers. Money in for car sold, money out for replacement bought. Only thing that matters is the difference.

Don't be led to think there is a killing to be made. With very few lucky exceptions whatever is "gained" from the sale is immediately "lost" on the replacement.

That said, there is a bill to come for all those hundreds of billions in made up Covid money. I don't think anyone has a clue how that is going to play out as everyone around the world has been doing the same thing. So the normal "corrections" don't apply.

Inflation also works in favour of finance.

Very strange and uncertain times...

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Been offered £2500 more than I paid for the wife's car in April.

Thankfully schools go back next week so I'm not allowed to sell it 🙃

Surely this is a temporary issue linked to new car supply and will crash quickly?

Is new car supply really that low though ?

Or is it just people do not want to buy new cars ?

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
It’s not inflation. it’s limited supply driving up prices. they will soften and fall but only when proper manufacturing capacity returns. Car market is in a similar state to the GPU market.

we've always had inflation. We’ve never had cars go like this.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I can understand supply and demand for classic cars or mint performance stuff from the 80’s, 90’s, early 00’s but I don’t get the supply and demand thing for run if the mill used petrol and derv stuff that’s 10-15 years old, there’s no shortage of them for sale just people seem to be taking the piss, so many “immaculate” golfs, Leon’s, focus, clios, fiestas etc with high miles that look like **** all in the photos.