Westfield Wide Body Turbo

neil#66

RMS Regular
haha, Most of the MOT guys who do my cars have been dead on tbf!

tell me this, is an oil leak an MOT fail? I’ve not yet sorted the slight oil leak from this. It’s coming from the cam seals and only appears after about 15mins once the car is up to temp.

I can’t be arsed taking the front of the engine off to sort it because I intend to have it forged soon anyway and it will obviously be sorted then.

*edit - it’s not excessive. Just a slight drip once up to temp. It runs down from behind the front of the rocker, down the block and then down the sump cover....

It will only fail if it creates a pool 5cm in diameter in 5 minutes, if it’s not excessive then I wouldn’t worry about it, the tester may mention it to you but personally I wouldn’t be turning you down for it.

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
It will only fail if it creates a pool 5cm in diameter in 5 minutes, if it’s not excessive then I wouldn’t worry about it, the tester may mention it to you but personally I wouldn’t be turning you down for it.

ahh ok, there’s no way it leaks that much lol. Happy days then, it should pass then.

I am borrowing a mates set of wheels to tuck them in under the arches as my wider rear arches haven’t arrived yet.

Only other thing my headlight alignment. I’ve not been able to bring it to somewhere to get it done right....is there any chance I can get it as close as I can using the level against the garage door? Lol what height do the lights need to project at and from what distance?

neil#66

RMS Regular
ahh ok, there’s no way it leaks that much lol. Happy days then, it should pass then.

I am borrowing a mates set of wheels to tuck them in under the arches as my wider rear arches haven’t arrived yet.

Only other thing my headlight alignment. I’ve not been able to bring it to somewhere to get it done right....is there any chance I can get it as close as I can using the level against the garage door? Lol what height do the lights need to project at and from what distance?

it’s hard to tell with no machine, I would go with as long as they are both sitting level, and not pointing down at pot holes or waking up birds in trees lol. There is no set distance to test them from usually with the nose cone on these they would sit slightly further back than a normal headlight but that’s no really an issue. If you got a decent enough tester he might let you move the light either way if needed (but I didn’t tell you that 🤫)

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
it’s hard to tell with no machine, I would go with as long as they are both sitting level, and not pointing down at pot holes or waking up birds in trees lol. There is no set distance to test them from usually with the nose cone on these they would sit slightly further back than a normal headlight but that’s no really an issue. If you got a decent enough tester he might let you move the light either way if needed (but I didn’t tell you that 🤫)

yeah this was my plan....I was going to leave them so that they can be adjusted on the fly. It would be a shame to have to come back for a retest for only the headlights not sitting right lol

neil#66

RMS Regular
yeah this was my plan....I was going to leave them so that they can be adjusted on the fly. It would be a shame to have to come back for a retest for only the headlights not sitting right lol

it would be a silly thing, but get someone who is having a bad day and then get a bad light there is no changing their mind unfortunately

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
it would be a silly thing, but get someone who is having a bad day and then get a bad light there is no changing their mind unfortunately

im not in until 12.10 so if I have time, I’ll call in somewhere and try get them done right

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Best to get them done before, could be a straight fail for something preventable before you're barely through the door at the test centre.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
I had to retest my last car for one failed headlight setting. He wouldn't let me change it there and then so just be warned try and set as close as possible beforehand

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000

The last few years i put my Supermoto through MOT, the tester and I compressed the forks until it passed the headlight test. There are some decent testers that will work with you, but I would get it sorted before hand if its convenient

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
The last few years i put my Supermoto through MOT, the tester and I compressed the forks until it passed the headlight test. There are some decent testers that will work with you, but I would get it sorted before hand if its convenient

yeah, I’ll get it sorted tomorrow for sure

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Will this be making an appearance at cars and coffee on Sunday? 😁

Hopefully if it goes through MOT on Saturday......and if it doesn't rain. I don't fancy trying to hold onto it when it's p*ssing down lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So at this stage, I am methodically working through a significant list of things......I made good progress today with the larger items so I should be able to rattle through all the small things tomorrow.

I replaced the clutch slave cylinder for a proper (non-eBay) item

yaxJ7BD.jpg

Finally fitted my air filter. Hopefully it's OK here in behind the radiator but I will probably run a duct anyway for a cold air feed.

4Qxh3FD.jpg

I also fitted the pedal box cover and one side panel. I am pretty happy with these but still need to finish the other side tomorrow - the side that worries me (exhaust side).

GAbg6KX.jpg

8rCvccX.jpg

WEoMFYV.jpg

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
So at this stage, I am methodically working through a significant list of things......I made good progress today with the larger items so I should be able to rattle through all the small things tomorrow.

I replaced the clutch slave cylinder for a proper (non-eBay) item

yaxJ7BD.jpg

Finally fitted my air filter. Hopefully it's OK here in behind the radiator but I will probably run a duct anyway for a cold air feed.

4Qxh3FD.jpg

I also fitted the pedal box cover and one side panel. I am pretty happy with these but still need to finish the other side tomorrow - the side that worries me (exhaust side).

GAbg6KX.jpg

8rCvccX.jpg

WEoMFYV.jpg

I’ve done two side panels for 2 different manifolds, it’s actually easy enough to get a nice tidy hole if you are prepared to take a couple of hours at it. Make a cardboard template of the full side panel and cut a big hole in it, then put it on the car and fit the manifold. You can then make lots of small bits of cardboard to go around the exhaust pipes and then take the whole thing off once you’re happy with it and literally trace the hole outline onto your carbon panel. Guaranteed perfect every time

An XL pizza box has proven useful in my build lol

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
I’ve done two side panels for 2 different manifolds, it’s actually easy enough to get a nice tidy hole if you are prepared to take a couple of hours at it. Make a cardboard template of the full side panel and cut a big hole in it, then put it on the car and fit the manifold. You can then make lots of small bits of cardboard to go around the exhaust pipes and then take the whole thing off once you’re happy with it and literally trace the hole outline onto your carbon panel. Guaranteed perfect every time

An XL pizza box has proven useful in my build lol

cheers rob, I’ll let you knowhow I get on later 😎

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
Nothing like a bit of pressure to get sh*t done! I have been FLAT OUT in the garage the past while but the last two days been ridiculous - I did in fact order a pizza courtesy of @Rob's suggestion but only had time to eat two slices! lol

Among a pile of things that aren't noticeable, I did get both side panels and the pedal box cover fitted today. I was a little nervous about trimming the carbon but it came out well. I did want to have only a neat hole in the side panel through which the exhaust exited but because my V-band is on the outside, it wasn't possible. I therefore had to cut a neat notch to allow the side panel to slide over the silencer.

OM3qQU6.jpg

gEvinxB.jpg

EgmQ0FL.jpg

I also borrowed a set of narrow Compomotive CXR off a mate to prevent any MOT failures by way of 'protruding wheels'. My wider rear arches are not here yet so my Comp MLs are waaayy too wide and would definitely fail.

tSonJFe.jpg

QL6vZr1.jpg

Nck4gM6.jpg

These are lovely wheels but look a bit lost on my car imo - I could just be used to having such FAT wheels on though!

However, my front arches are not sitting right over these wheels but hopefully because the side of the wheel not covered is on the inside, it shouldn't fail MOT.

MOT is at 12.30pm tomorrow so I have a few hours to do the last few jobs. Then donuts....

C5D0yem.jpg

slickcell

RMS Regular
OP
slickcell
Drives
S5 3.0 V6
So, the panic set in as we were running late and still had a few bits to do this morning before MOT. I’d borrowed a set of my mate’s Comp CXRs because my wheels are too wide for these standard arches. However, about ten minutes before we loaded the car, we realised the rear CXRs were rubbing on my outer rose joints. Frantically, we thought ‘f**k it, it’s going to fail anyway so let’s get a list’ and put the wider Comp MLs on the rear. With the MOT at 12.10PM, we loaded the truck and set off at 11.45AM like two maniacs.....running too late for comfort!

We arrived at 12.20PM and the test guy gave us a bit of a telling off for being late, but told me to put the car around the side so and they’d try squeeze it in soon.

As I was taking it off the truck in the MOT centre, the steering column popped out of the spline and I lost steering. I realised I’d forgotten to put the retaining bolt through the steering column 😂 I was able to put it back in the splines there and then but hadn’t got a bolt to secure it properly.

A few minutes later, the tester said “bring it into lane 2” - thank f**k! I was honest with him and told him about the missing bolt and took my seat to wait patiently....

.....it failed on that bolt and headlight alignment only ffs! I’m very surprised that it passed with the rear wheels protruding like they are!

The guys in the MOT centre were very impressed with the car so as I exited, I gave them a little demonstration with anti lag on etc lol
A7FC8640-85FD-41C3-8A31-1C49C1546DDC.jpeg

CD479059-E65B-434D-A4F5-5D9CD8623E1A.jpeg

79A64E51-6AA2-4AEB-A21D-7B6A2CFDC3DF.jpeg

I instantly booked a retest for tomorrow (couldn’t get one today) and we brought the car to my mates mechanic who aligned the headlights and fitted the bolt in the steering column. Sorted!!

ROAD LEGAL TOMORROW THEN!!