What annoyed you today whilst driving ?

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
The westlink being closed, I'd guess it being ni it'll be some bs reason creating a mess.

Followed a glanbia lorry, yes 40fts are hard to drive etc but 6th sense said he's a wab. Sitting driving over the line by more than a wheel width. Then blew through a red light nearly taken the car pulling out from the right out and a kid crossing the road he was glued to his phone but light was solid red he had started to walk as the buzzer was going off.

Further down was met with the circus going into a field sitting at 60 coming round a corner to meet a 40ft plus a caravan on tow blocking both lanes plus the shoulder turning into a field and only had some one with a phone light directing them in.

Glad to be home 🤣

The bull**** reason was they were scraping a friend of a friends contents of his head off the westlink. Was under the speed limit and behaving too, theory is he may have taken ill whilst riding his bike. Complete freak accident.

When a road is closed I'd be a bit more sensitive until you find out why

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Terrible accident as you say but not every person knows why every road is closed across the country.

Could of been closed for a light down or a trailer jack knifed the list goes on not first thing to spring to mind is worst case scenario.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Terrible accident as you say but not every person knows why every road is closed across the country.

Could of been closed for a light down or a trailer jack knifed the list goes on not first thing to spring to mind is worst case scenario.

I get you didn't know at the time, but when I hear a major road is closed the first thing I'd consider is there may be a fatal accident, and I'd not use the term bull**** reason until I knew otherwise. I get a road being closed is a major PITA for those trying to move about the country, it's just the term used afterwards I found very insensitive.

But look, I get there are other reasons as you say like a fallen post or perhaps a massive oil spill. But I'd still argue that's worth closing a road over too.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Morons in the morning walking their dogs and jogging on the wrong side of the road in order to see on coming traffic, while wired for sound :mad:

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Checking the chargers in the town yesterday to find a Merc A Class PHEV had been charging for 13 hours.
I've wondered this a few times. If you were for example going on a holiday/night out/wedding or whatever and you look up a charger at your location and there's one available. You arrive and park in it to charge up the go about your business (go for a meal, few drinks, walk on the beach then lunch, a wedding ,whatever it is you're there for) do you drop what you are doing to go move the car once its charged ? Would you then look for a normal parking space ?

Also, say you check the app before you leave (say you're going to Dublin and you know you'll need a charge). What happens if by the time you get there someone has took the space ? Do you have to then search on the app for other locations and hope nobody nabs them before you get there aswell ? Like once the app says its free is it a race to get it before someone else ?

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I've wondered this a few times. If you were for example going on a holiday/night out/wedding or whatever and you look up a charger at your location and there's one available. You arrive and park in it to charge up the go about your business (go for a meal, few drinks, walk on the beach then lunch, a wedding ,whatever it is you're there for) do you drop what you are doing to go move the car once its charged ? Would you then look for a normal parking space ?

I do. If I know I'm going to be away for an extended period of time, I just don't charge. I went out of my way to take my car off the charger before it was finished because I knew I was going to overstay by a few hours.

Also, say you check the app before you leave (say you're going to Dublin and you know you'll need a charge). What happens if by the time you get there someone has took the space ? Do you have to then search on the app for other locations and hope nobody nabs them before you get there aswell ? Like once the app says its free is it a race to get it before someone else ?

Pretty much. But in the case of going to Dublin in a Tesla, we have dedicated super chargers in Castlebellingham. You can normally guess the time people are going to free up chargers. The ones outside work are usually occupied at 730, so they'll free up about 1130-1200. Few usual suspects on there too that charge for 9 hours, or the man that lives across the street who remotely ends his charging session and walks up to get his car 30 minutes later.

Reliable public charging relies unfortunately on people not being selfish w*nkers.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo

Morally I would - I would feel bad "hogging" a charger so I would have to factor in returning to my car to move it once it was fully charged.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I'd say you are in the minority. Most people don't give two ****s. Other people don't enter their minds. Think how many people use disabled spaces/toddler spaces without cause.
I do. If I know I'm going to be away for an extended period of time, I just don't charge. I went out of my way to take my car off the charger before it was finished because I knew I was going to overstay by a few hours.

Pretty much. But in the case of going to Dublin in a Tesla, we have dedicated super chargers in Castlebellingham. You can normally guess the time people are going to free up chargers. The ones outside work are usually occupied at 730, so they'll free up about 1130-1200. Few usual suspects on there too that charge for 9 hours, or the man that lives across the street who remotely ends his charging session and walks up to get his car 30 minutes later.

Reliable public charging relies unfortunately on people not being selfish w*nkers.

Morally I would - I would feel bad "hogging" a charger so I would have to factor in returning to my car to move it once it was fully charged.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Think how many people use disabled spaces/toddler spaces without cause.

:mad: grinds my gears to the point now when I see a car arrive with no kids in it I openly ask them where they are - they could be collecting their partner with their kids though but majority as you say, just DGAF!

I am fortunate that I am capable of managing both my small kids further away but I know other parents wouldn't or would struggle if they were not close to the shop or a trolley to help them.

I have also stopped and offered parents help and its a general opinion of most about people taking these spaces when they don't need too! :mad:

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
:mad: grinds my gears to the point now when I see a car arrive with no kids in it I openly ask them where they are - they could be collecting their partner with their kids though but majority as you say, just DGAF!

I am fortunate that I am capable of managing both my small kids further away but I know other parents wouldn't or would struggle if they were not close to the shop or a trolley to help them.

I have also stopped and offered parents help and its a general opinion of most about people taking these spaces when they don't need too! :mad:
It's not just distance, it's a struggle trying to get a child from a car seat in a regular spot, more so trying to get most 7seaters into a regular spot and being able to open the doors.

HairyPotter

RMS Regular
Drives
Exeo
yesterday, pedestrian walking along the central reservation (the cable type) of the dual carriageway outside Eglinton
I phoned emergency services for his own good, operator said ' there is no regulation about that on a dual carriageway, only motorway, but i'll let local plod know'

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Some fecking mouth breather in her lovely blue VW Gold, heading out of Bangor to Ards in the outside lane - would not go above 50mph. That's ok though - because she was turning right into North Road, Ards. 🤦‍♂️

Never mind the 5 cars waiting behind you, trying to pass. Inconsiderate blind muppet!!!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Some fecking mouth breather in her lovely blue VW Gold, heading out of Bangor to Ards in the outside lane - would not go above 50mph. That's ok though - because she was turning right into North Road, Ards. 🤦‍♂️

Never mind the 5 cars waiting behind you, trying to pass. Inconsiderate blind muppet!!!

When I lived in Greenisland and worked in East Belfast I would regularly come up behind people who would hog the outside lane from the Odyssey to N'abbey tech so they were in the correct lane to go round the roundabout to get to the houses opposite the tech :mad:

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
When I lived in Greenisland and worked in East Belfast I would regularly come up behind people who would hog the outside lane from the Odyssey to N'abbey tech so they were in the correct lane to go round the roundabout to get to the houses opposite the tech :mad:
You see them on the Sydnham bypass heading to Bangor. They get to the Knocknagoney lights for the mad mile - sitting in the outside lane all the way to Holywood, then cut in at last minute - and stay in that outer lane doing under the speed limit....

....all the way to the Craigantlet lights at Bangor - Cnts!!!🤬

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
Drives
ImprezaSTI
But like ones parking at the pumps without getting fuel

I find this even worse when there's only one pump for super and someone parks at it to do the weekly shop. Vast majority of people drive in and look at you thinking you're a moron who doesn't realise there's other pumps.

I mean, I probably am a moron, but I cant use the other pumps...

DreamTheater

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Civic

That is a common thing on that road, same as Ards to Comber. They think its ok to travel the whole way in the right hand lane for over a mile as they are turning right

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
That is a common thing on that road, same as Ards to Comber. They think its ok to travel the whole way in the right hand lane for over a mile as they are turning right
More reason to put 'Keep Left' reminders on the roads. I truly believe that those who only see cars as an A to B mechanism switch off when on the roads. Scary.

fatboysamo

RMS Regular
Checking the chargers in the town yesterday to find a Merc A Class PHEV had been charging for 13 hours.
I was speaking to one of my parents neighbours about this last week (he works for one of the electric suppliers) and he was saying that one of the companies in the south apparently has the machines set up so that it knows when the charging stops. It will then start a parking bill that calculates the over stay to be charged to the customer when they remove the car. Definitely one way to stop charger hogging

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
It's not just distance, it's a struggle trying to get a child from a car seat in a regular spot, more so trying to get most 7seaters into a regular spot and being able to open the doors.

As you say the distance from shops isn't an issue. I couldn't care less if the spaces were in the far corner, its great to get one so you have room to get the squad out of the car, buggies setup etc.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I was speaking to one of my parents neighbours about this last week (he works for one of the electric suppliers) and he was saying that one of the companies in the south apparently has the machines set up so that it knows when the charging stops. It will then start a parking bill that calculates the over stay to be charged to the customer when they remove the car. Definitely one way to stop charger hogging

Over 45 mins on a fast charger in the South nets you a €8 fee on top of the charge cost. Slow charger overstay fee is a number of hours. Can’t remember how many. Great job.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Wait until they start charging in the 50-80p per kWh range for recharges. That's probably not as far off as we'd like as it already exists in other areas.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Even at 50p, based on my average of 3.2kwh that’s still the equivalent of about 55mpg (assuming electric goes through the roof and miraculously petrol doesn’t). In a 300+bhp 2.5 ton SUV. And that’s a very uneconomical EV. Most others are 5+ kWh.

I think I remember reading a day or two ago that a charging park recently opened down south that has more capacity than all of NI.

Reactions: Ben