Where to start.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
if you havnt ridden a bike on the roads before the four most important things are.
1. cars(drivers) will not see you.
2 cars (drivers)will not see you because they dont ****ing look.
3 blah blah blah..........................because they are to busy doing **** in the car
4 blah blah blah..........................because 70% are mongs.

apart from that its brilliant
This is what puts me off going for a bike. The amount of stupidity I see on the roads every day. Most drivers have no idea what’s going on around them. Followed a Volvo yesterday that had both mirrors folded in.
Never knew that direct access was an option though, I’m 32 and have only ever rode a 125 down our lane

Nigelhg

RMS Member
This is what puts me off going for a bike. The amount of stupidity I see on the roads every day. Most drivers have no idea what’s going on around them. Followed a Volvo yesterday that had both mirrors folded in.
Never knew that direct access was an option though, I’m 32 and have only ever rode a 125 down our lane
Don't let it put you off- you soon learn to never trust anyone in an x5, range rover or seat leon. Ride defensively but don't visibly slow passing junctions as this is often mis-interpreted by other drivers who think it gives them license to pull out. Like all the fun things in life there is an increased risk of death/injury but as long as you do everything to mitigate this and don't ride beyond your limits you'll be fine. I did my first track day at bishopscourt 6 weeks after I got my test- you learn a lot by doing these and it gives you confidence.

johnm

RMS Regular
I used Swift for my lessons back in 2007 then only rode for about a year before selling up. Recently decided to go back to biking and did my refresher with Ronnie Whiteside same instructor who took me for my lessons who is now up with Moto Training NI in Broughshane.

Anyway getting back on a bike is the best thing I've done in years. You'll love it!!

Ronnie that was his name, has/had the Tuono iirc? Great lad.

I wouldn't let it put you off, just have a strong awareness of it & have your head on a swivel.

I would love another but sadly not allowed, lol. I will get one at some point.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796

Volvo driver must've pissed off two bikers 🙈😂

Some old cnut pulled out infront of me and proceeded to overtake at a snails pace, as I passed him I folded his mirror towards him as he clearly wasn't using it 😂

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

1 things for sure; riding a bike makes you much more aware of your surroundings, you read the road much better and you’re constantly forward planning. A lot of this carries over to driving a car, and it’s only then that you really notice how little attention the majority of road users actually pay to their surroundings.

Dave..

RMS Regular
1 things for sure; riding a bike makes you much more aware of your surroundings, you read the road much better and you’re constantly forward planning. A lot of this carries over to driving a car, and it’s only then that you really notice how little attention the majority of road users actually pay to their surroundings.
This 100%, every car driver should have to ride a bike.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
If I did ever go for a bike it wouldn’t be a sports bike it would probably be one of these two eventually. Having never ridden a proper bike I’ve no idea if they are a hard or easy thing to handle
3CB65326-E6AD-4868-A227-796726EFF1AE.jpeg
5512EC10-2BE7-4496-A30C-77F958AAF7D4.jpeg

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Definitely go for it Pete.

I use to be car mad but since I passed my bike test 10 years ago I now see cars as a means of getting from one place to another whilst not getting wet.

You’ll probably get the itch to buy a litre sports bike (I’ve owned loads) but to be honest a 600 naked is all you’ll ever need for our roads.
You barely get out of third gear on a litre sports bike on our roads. It’s much more fun wringing the neck off a 600.

Sports bikes are great for the track but with your height you lose so much peripheral vision unless you ride upright, which defeats the purpose.

You’ll learn more on a few track days than you’ll learn in years of road riding in terms of the fundamentals.

The best advice I can give is:
  1. When cornering look where you want to go, not at the hedge (target fixation)
  2. Expect a hazard at every junction and around every corner
  3. Ride loose over the bumps and enjoy yourself!

warren

RMS Photographer
You’ll probably get the itch to buy a litre sports bike (I’ve owned loads) but to be honest a 600 naked is all you’ll ever need for our roads.

Id say maybe own 1 litre sportsbike just for the life experience, theres nothing quite like the feeling of having almost infinate horsepower! But yes totally unnessesary, you could probably do the coast road in 1st gear if you wanted to!

As said above definately go for it, they are a whole other level of driving engagment, just need to keep your eyes open and watch everyone else like a hawk. I was super nervous when I first started but you get used to it.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
If you're a decent driver Pete and are good at reading the road then i'd say go for it, as others have said, there's nothing you've ever driven that'll make you tingle down below like when a proper sportbike lifts the front wheel at 12k rpm while screaming away in 2nd gear. There is no getting on a motorbike and riding away on 'autopilot' like you can do in a car. It is a visceral and mentally engaging experience. You will never have trouble falling asleep after a good outing on the bike. I got my license and did a lot of my 'learning' (a few slips along the way) in california where I had endless back country and canyons to explore with little to no traffic for the fun rides, but I also commuted from Santa Monica to downtown LA for 3+ years on the 10 freeway and learned a lot about reading the road and negotiating traffic from that. I ended up doing a few track days and got totally bitten and ended up track and race only.

Invest in good gear and get after it!

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Go for it pete.... you are clearly a confident and competent driver, you’ll adopt to the bikes no bother

Find a good instructor you Bond with, my advise... just accept car drivers dont care where you are... and wont look for... nor see you. Not fair, not right... but accept it, as it just happens! Also.... just settle your head that IF someone did impact with you in a car... you will come off worse... has zero relevance whether they were wrong side of road..... pulled out on you... etc.

having raced, and ridden 1000cc superbikes on the road, try one! They are daft on the road.. but simply divine at the same time.
my vote is.... nice naked or adventure bike for road, and a cheap sports bike for track... I can pretty much guarantee you will learn more in 2-3 track days than 2-3 years road riding.

happy to help in anyway, esp if you want someone to give you a tow and help on track... but I also have a bmw R nine T road bike... awesome things!

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Direct access is age based but you still have to do CBT - the difference is you don't need the experience to upgrade your licence as a 17 or 19yr old would

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Direct access is age based but you still have to do CBT - the difference is you don't need the experience to upgrade your licence as a 17 or 19yr old would
So do you just make arrangements with one of those places mentioned and they sort the CBT part too? Absolute noob here

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
So do you just make arrangements with one of those places mentioned and they sort the CBT part too? Absolute noob here

If you just want to complete your CBT to allow you to ride a 125cc bike, then a couple of lessons with any instructor will allow them to assess you and get you up to scratch to say that you’re ok to ride on the road. It’s Compulsory Basic Training, which basically means you can make the bike move and understand how to ride acceptably on the road while understanding speed limits and stuff. There’s nothing too it.

If you’re over 24/25 and wish to ride a bigger capacity bike like a 1000cc or whatever, you can do the Direct Access and the CBT certificate will basically be covered during your first couple of lessons anyway as the standard of riding you need to get to in order to pass your Module 1 (off road manoeuvres test) and Module 2 (on road riding test) exceed that of the CBT.

I had only ridden a 125cc Aprilia 16 years ago for 6 months when I was 17, then done 4 lessons last year to prepare me for the test. My instructor signed off the CBT cert after a couple of those lessons which was at no additional cost as it needed to be done prior to the 2 modules.

Reactions: ALN

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
I get it now! I think I need to scratch this itch. Not looking speed though that could change lol.
What’s best way to pick up gear like leathers m, helmet, etc. When starting out without breaking the bank?

RevT

RMS Regular
Contemplating starting up here too at the age of 29. Only motorbike experience is many scramblers in fields between the age of 5 and 12 so hoping I can pick the basics up ok.

I’d be looking a 600cc first I’d say, must be sports type bike. What’s recommended?

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
I decided against it in the end. Had a few goes on mates bikes and I'm just not a natural at it at all, actually felt like a fish out of water lol

Will drop your suit back @David.S very kind of you!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I get it now! I think I need to scratch this itch. Not looking speed though that could change lol.
What’s best way to pick up gear like leathers m, helmet, etc. When starting out without breaking the bank?

Infinity at the bottom of Boucher have a good selection of quality gear. I got my jacket, gloves and boots there last year along with my helmet.

Module Road & Race in Antrim have a huge selection of stuff and are easy dealt with. I bought myself a new lid there a couple of months ago and a few friends have got kitted out there.

If you’re after budget stuff, you could give Kickstart Motorcycles a shout between Woodstock and Castlereagh Road. They do a deal on jackets, trousers and gloves for around £100-120 all in.

AC

RMS Regular
I decided against it in the end. Had a few goes on mates bikes and I'm just not a natural at it at all, actually felt like a fish out of water lol

Will drop your suit back @David.S very kind of you!

I felt the same when I first started out @big_pete, took a few lessons to get the balance and feel for a bike. Having a good instructor is key to push through that barrier if you ever decide to pick it up again.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Infinity at the bottom of Boucher have a good selection of quality gear. I got my jacket, gloves and boots there last year along with my helmet.

Module Road & Race in Antrim have a huge selection of stuff and are easy dealt with. I bought myself a new lid there a couple of months ago and a few friends have got kitted out there.

If you’re after budget stuff, you could give Kickstart Motorcycles a shout between Woodstock and Castlereagh Road. They do a deal on jackets, trousers and gloves for around £100-120 all in.
What sort of money should I expect to budget for a lid? Is buying anything second hand ever a good option?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
What sort of money should I expect to budget for a lid? Is buying anything second hand ever a good option?

Personally I’d never buy a second hand lid as you don’t know it’s history. Budget wise, anything around £150 or so should see you with a well branded flip face or full face helmet which may even have a built in sun visor (very handy thing to have) and a pin lock visor. Look up what a pin lock is, and make sure whatever you buy has 1. They are invaluable.

Reactions: KHI

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796

Sportsbikeshop are very good for doing everything, only issue is its online, but they will do 0% finance which if getting good quality gear adds up quick

Some of the high street shops even charge more than what they advertise on their own online store which I think is a bit of a kick in the teeth personally

I'm not one to go in and bother the staff for sizes etc, more than happy to try stuff on myself. In and out in no time flat.

Lids are not one size fits all either, M in AGV will be sightly different to Shoei and Arai etc so find the one you like and try it on, it may need adjusted to fit properly but may not

Reactions: KHI