Where to start.

KHI

RMS Regular
Drives
very early!
Good advice here. What about footwear? Does it even matter?

Wearing the right footwear is extremely important,off the top of my head I think I remember reading that the majority of injuries from a motorcycle accident are to the lower legs.
I've seen DM boots torn in half in an accident.
I wear TCX boots but you can't really go wrong with any of the major brands like Alpinestars,Sidi etc.I am not a fan of RST though.

Reactions: ALN

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Good advice here. What about footwear? Does it even matter?

Infinity on Boucher Road will price match any online price, so if you find a helmet or something in there that you like but it’s 10/15% cheaper online, show them the website you’ve found the better price on and they’ll honour it. When you spend money in there you also get discount vouchers emailed through every month and these can even be used for discount to make price matched gear even cheaper.

Boots and gloves are as important as the lid IMO. I have a pair of RST Paragon II boots that are very comfortable and waterproof, and they were only £109 from memory. They sit well with jeans tucked into them, and they’re not offensive with the jeans pulled over them either. I also have a pair of tall adventure boots which have 3 buckles and a Velcro strap which offer a lot of support while remaining flexible enough to operate the foot levers with ease, but it took me to try a couple of different pairs to find 1 suitable, as with any footwear.

Gloves are a huge thing too, with massive choice in material, thickness, level of protection, thermal insulation etc. I’d recommend a pair of thinner summer gloves as a beginner which will allow a lot of feel and movement until you get to terms with clutch and throttle control and get used to using the switches with your thumbs. I wear a pair of Furygan Jet gloves myself, and have worn them all year round even though they’re summer gloves, though the hand guards and heated grips on my bike make them suitable.

You can’t spend as much or as little as you want on gear, but research whatever you’re looking at and ensure it’s worth it as some jackets and stuff are mega money (£1000+) while not doing much more than the likes of a cheaper jacket at £100-150. Most will have removable liners to suit summer riding, and not all are waterproof, and as Rick mentioned about the helmets, 1 size in 1 brand could differ from another brand, so just watch for that if you opt for online buying.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Good time of year to pick up a bargain, especially if want one of last seasons race rep designs. Very generally, polycarbonate is cheaper than fibreglass.
I reckon HJC are good value but really it's all about how good they fit.
I find Crossans really good for selection and fitting. You can see what fits in a particular brand and then if not in stock they will order and post your chosen style and size within a couple of days. They don't push you to take one off the shelf. And they usually one of the cheapest; if not they will drop the price.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
So next steps are to get a nosey in one of these stores and give a plus in lisburn a buzz. I’m sure there’s a backlog atm but may as well get the ball rolling
Thanks for all the advice lads. Any other tips/ dos and do nots welcome lol

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
So next steps are to get a nosey in one of these stores and give a plus in lisburn a buzz. I’m sure there’s a backlog atm but may as well get the ball rolling
Thanks for all the advice lads. Any other tips/ dos and do nots welcome lol
Ask the school if they lend you gear before you shell out for stuff you regret. Although maybe with Covid, providing gear is a thing of past.

Only other thing is don't tuck your trousers into your boots unless you are wearing leathers. People will point and stare.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Ask the school if they lend you gear before you shell out for stuff you regret. Although maybe with Covid, providing gear is a thing of past.

Only other thing is don't tuck your trousers into your boots unless you are wearing leathers. People will point and stare.
Especially if you're wearing textiles on a wet day, get trousers that fit! I ended up searching high and low for textiles with a 36in inside leg that actually stay below the ankle on the bike

DSC_0044.JPG

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

Only acceptable if it’s jeans... lol

I’m yet to buy textiles or leather trousers, but figure I should get round to it soon, especially with winter closing in...

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Only acceptable if it’s jeans... lol

I’m yet to buy textiles or leather trousers, but figure I should get round to it soon, especially with winter closing in...
FYI, check the length of the jackets internal zip and match the trousers.. Zipping up massively helps keeping your back warm :joy:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
FYI, check the length of the jackets internal zip and match the trousers.. Zipping up massively helps keeping your back warm :joy:

Won’t need the zip. I wouldn’t really be 1 for heat and usually appreciate a breeze when I’m on the bike. I took the liner out last year to try the jacket on when I was buying it and it hasn’t been back in since, not even over winter there and I covered nearly 5k miles from start of Dec until mid-April on the 1150 which has less wind protection then the new 1200.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Won’t need the zip. I wouldn’t really be 1 for heat and usually appreciate a breeze when I’m on the bike. I took the liner out last year to try the jacket on when I was buying it and it hasn’t been back in since, not even over winter there and I covered nearly 5k miles from start of Dec until mid-April on the 1150 which has less wind protection then the new 1200.
Unless you are a tall bloke curled up on a sportsbike. That's when a zip comes in handy.
Especially if you're wearing textiles on a wet day, get trousers that fit! I ended up searching high and low for textiles with a 36in inside leg that actually stay below the ankle on the bike
Any suggested brands for long legged textiles? I've never found any that are really long enough on the bike and I'm only 33" leg.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Unless you are a tall bloke curled up on a sportsbike. That's when a zip comes in handy.

Any suggested brands for long legged textiles? I've never found any that are really long enough on the bike and I'm only 33" leg.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Just waiting on A plus motorcycle academy to phone me back so hopefully I’ll be able to get something in the diary.

Having talked about gear what about bikes?

I guess I’m looking for:
Classic styling
Amusing to ride over straight up speed
Decent sound
Sensible maintenance
Handy to nip in and out of work (10 miles each way)
Budget - not sure but let’s say £3k for arguments sake.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Just waiting on A plus motorcycle academy to phone me back so hopefully I’ll be able to get something in the diary.

I guess I’m looking for:
Classic styling
Decent sound
Sensible maintenance
Honda Hornet 600 and Suzuki Bandit 600 are first timer favourites. Plenty to choose from well under budget, reliable, easy ridden, easy to work at and parts are plentiful for both, both relatively comfortable if you aren’t over 6ft and they can push on well too.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
So spoke to nice fella that runs a plus motoring academy so the ball is officially rolling. Theory app downloaded and I’ll book the test soon to get that out of the way. Aiming to start in 3 weeks or so with cbt/lessons

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various

I guess I’m looking for:
Classic styling
Decent sound
Sensible maintenance
When you say "classic styling" if mean like a modern classic like Triumph Bonneville, Kawasaki W800 or similar then you might be pushing the budget unless you go for Royal Enfield or a Chinese brand. Another alternative is a cruiser, like Harley style but Japanese, Suzuki Intruder for example. Good if you are short, but an acquired taste.

Or maybe you mean traditional looking as in "naked" as opposed to something with a fairing? The Hornet and Bandit both came in both styles. If you want decent sound then most agree that a SV650, Vstrom, or ER6 can sound good because they are twins. Any or those or a FZS600 Fazer would be on my list. BMW F650 are worth a look too.

Reactions: Ben

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
When you say "classic styling" if mean like a modern classic like Triumph Bonneville, Kawasaki W800 or similar then you might be pushing the budget unless you go for Royal Enfield or a Chinese brand. Another alternative is a cruiser, like Harley style but Japanese, Suzuki Intruder for example. Good if you are short, but an acquired taste.

Or maybe you mean traditional looking as in "naked" as opposed to something with a fairing? The Hornet and Bandit both came in both styles. If you want decent sound then most agree that a SV650, Vstrom, or ER6 can sound good because they are twins. Any or those or a FZS600 Fazer would be on my list. BMW F650 are worth a look too.

I’m going to have to look all these up but the Triumph boneville style is what I meant though a brief nosey earlier I found I liked lots of different style bikes for different reasons lol.

What is high mileage on a bike?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I’m going to have to look all these up but the Triumph boneville style is what I meant though a brief nosey earlier I found I liked lots of different style bikes for different reasons lol.

Depends on the bike to be honest. The likes of a highly tuned 1000cc sports bike will be considered by most as a high miler once it hits 5,000 miles (which is nonsense) whereas a big touring bike like a Goldwing or BMW GS won’t be phased by 50,000 miles before requiring anything major parts wise like a clutch or drive shaft.

Chain drive / shaft drive / belt drive is something to consider. Shaft drives tend to be a bit smoother and there’s little/no maintenance (annual oil change in the final drive on some bikes) with them whereas a chain and set of sprockets can easily set you back well over £200 once a year or more, depending on how you ride/maintain the bike. Belt drive is pretty simple to look after too while offering a softer gear change, they’re quieter and consume less power over chain driven bikes.

cupraricky

RMS Regular

I'll have a mint F800GT BMW, extra low mileage, massive spec, 1 owner, full luggage coming up for sale very soon if interested if you were able to increase your budget.

Lee

RMS Regular
I may be biased, but get yourself a Triumph Street Triple 675 for a first bike. You’ll be a long time getting bored of it, early model looks retro, punchy triple engine, nicer to ride than Hornets and Bandits, as good as they are. £3500 should get a good one

0A4918DA-6092-4A4F-A8CF-BC3A4BEA7AE0.jpeg

Last edited:

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I may be biased, but get yourself a Triumph Street Triple 675 for a first bike. You’ll be a long time getting bored of it, early model looks retro, punchy triple engine, nicer to ride than Hornets and Bandits, as good as they are. £3500 should get a good one
One of these would soooo good. I had forgot about them and that they have been around for a while and are cheaper than I thought.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
street triple are a great bike...... hugely fun and great alrounder.

in regard to earlier comments on jackets that zip to trousers... there is only one reason that i do that - and its not to keep warm !! its to make sure IF i end up on the deck, its the material sliding on the road and not the skin of my back !

eveyone is different to risk though, i see gusy out all the time with no gloves on and think - how can you even do that !! i wouldnt want to ride 500M without gloves

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
@cupraricky I can’t see me increasing the budget unfortunately :worried:

@Lee that is a nice looking bike!

What/where is the best place to look for a used bike? There‘a very little to look at on autotrader it seems without going across the water.

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
gumtree and FB marketplace... i guess the latter seems most popular now as its so easy for peopleto advertise, but in my experience can mean many people waste your time as sellers !!

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Doing theory practice with the hope I can get it out of the way before I start the direct access. Dead handy now with phones/tablets and apps!