Which car? Impreza wanted

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Having just sent my weekend toy on its way I'm looking at something to replace it

Wanting something reasonably fast, 280bhp+, Manual, Preferably AWD/4WD as I've never owned an all wheel drive car, but will consider RWD or FWD if its interesting.

Currently I'm interested in these two cars:

2006 Audi A4 B7 Quattro 340bhp
(Listing has ended, but its still available)
Pros/Cons
+Quattro
-Silver
-Saloon
Tax - £325/year

2000 Subaru Legacy Blitzen 330bhp
Pros/Cons:
+New STI EJ207 Shortblock Fitted recently
+Subaru AWD
+Looks
-Saloon
-Was mapped on 99 Octane, Likely would need mapped to 97 Octane if brought over
Tax - £265/year

The car wont be doing many miles, so fuel costs aren't a big issue, however still a consideration. Ideally I would like a car that dosen't mind sitting for a week or two if not being used very often, and should hold its value reasonably for 6-12 months.

I'm happy to hear any other recommendations, or any issues with either car as I'm unfamiliar with both Audis and Subarus. My mum used to have a 2005 a4 which i really didn't enjoy driving, however it was just a base spec 1.9tdi.

Is there any reason I should avoid the Legacy? Just seems a nicer car all round, and likely a better drivers car

Last edited:

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
They all seem pretty awful ideas as weekend fun cars....with possibly the exception on the Subaru.

The 159 is a pretty awful drive and has the GM V6 so doesn’t even sound great. I can’t believe I’m actually going to say this but.......have you considered a MK5 GTI?

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
They all seem pretty awful ideas as weekend fun cars....with possibly the exception on the Subaru.

The 159 is a pretty awful drive and has the GM V6 so doesn’t even sound great. I can’t believe I’m actually going to say this but.......have you considered a MK5 GTI?

I removed the 159 as an option whilst you were likely typing that. It does apparently have alot of changes from the GM lump its based on, but its still a GM lump at the start

I had considered a MK5 GTi yes, and would consider a K04 one, preferably with an LSD up front. They are nice, but just dosen't cut it like the Subaru does. Although an Impreza is a bit too shouty I think.

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Fully agree, I would prefer an estate, but I'm still happy with a saloon. Definitely has to be manual though, last three cars have been automatics and I'm totally bored of autos

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
@lennyd @bludgod will give more info but twin turbo legacy are a complete pain in the arse due to vacuum hose spaghetti junction for them

Thanks. Apparently this one has had all the vacuum hoses replaced, likely due to this. Also a 3 port boost solenoid fitted, which means little to me.

Gambit

RMS Regular
Thanks. Apparently this one has had all the vacuum hoses replaced, likely due to this. Also a 3 port boost solenoid fitted, which means little to me.
That's usually an issue in itself when they are replaced with silicone ones, then trying to ever track down a fault you're in for a mare.

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Not AWD but sharp and usable, Mazda mps range ?

I'm really fond of the 6 MPS, but unfortunately there seems to be quite a high rate of engine failures with them.

That's usually an issue in itself when they are replaced with silicone ones, then trying to ever track down a fault you're in for a mare.

Think they're new rubber ones, they're black and not glossy looking anyway

That audi and Subaru would both be a hard sell once you got bored..

True, but then generally everything I buy is pretty niche. Last 3 cars were 20 year old V8 petrols.

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
What about something like a focus st with a few bolt ons and a map

Yes, I do like them too. Presume they are 3 door only? 5 cylinder sound is incredible. Did see some nice T5 Volvo's too. No LSD as standard however, as far as I know

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
No there’s plenty in 5 door, easy enough to get up near 300bhp, they handle well and sound brilliant with that 5 cylinder plus all the pops and bangs

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Just a pity that I'm really after something AWD 😂 but never say never

Budget is up to 5k btw, worth mentioning

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
As much as I like Subarus, and especially Legacy's....not a chance would I buy a TT Legacy unless the history and maintenance was 100% known. And the fact it's already had an engine or parts fitted by **** knows who in England....no way would I be taking that gamble

And as they use various solenoids within the TT system...someone saying they fitted a 3 port to it, really doesnt make a lot of sense. And even more dodgy looking are all those stupid red silicone hoses. Just asking for trouble.
I'd be looking for a good totally standard unmolested car.

That said....a friend just sold this car to T&C as he bought a Lexus ISF. And it is a very good car.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Loved my legacy completely different to drove than Impreza and go well when running right but few people want to work on them when they go wrong. Also, you are limited to tuning options with the twin setup and 320ish is about as much as you get with our cr@p fuel over here

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB

The 3 MPS is just front wheel drive, however does at least have an LSD. There are plenty of engine failures on the 2.3 MPS engines which puts me off a bit, otherwise id be having a 6 MPS all day long

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
VOLVO S60 R 2003

Manual in these are hard to find but that's a bargain.

I've had my eye on that car. Haldex AWD, not proper full time, but regardless, still a strong contender. Strangely like the orange interior too. Just unsure it it's a 'fun' car, but have a real soft spot for them regardless

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
So these twin turbo Legacy's are bit of a nightmare then? Had been looking at them myself recently - had read about the hesitation between turbo 1 and turbo 2 on the crossover but assumed that was it! Most of them seem to be automatic which is annoying!

@ace275 this has been on my ebay watch list for a while - it's effectively an Impreza WRX but in a Forester body?