High Octane Fuel

Neil Kirkpatrick

RMS Regular
Drives
Subaru Impreza P
I swore the stuff John used to run was around £7/L

Most rally cars classes have to run a control fuel and you aren't allowed to go over that ron level. Most of the major brands do it and it's around £4 plus vat per litre :scream::sob:

Anyone here sell it?
Hey Mark Euro M sport in omagh sell it in 25 or 50 litre drums

Mark King

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Marks house.
giphy.gif
Don't know about you but I put petrol in a car8-(:party:

Neil Kirkpatrick

RMS Regular
Drives
Subaru Impreza P
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motor...-rmr-msa-compliant-unleaded-race-fuel-100-ron

Find the NI Sunoco dealer and you will get it, they also do 98 ron

Checked Carless Fuels but they only do the 102 upwards, if that was of interest i think Phillip Morrow of Morrow Fuels in Lisburn is a dealer

Sunoco is hard got over here the dealer keep rubbish level of stock. So wouldn't recommend the Sunoco for that reason

I used Carless from Philip and he Kept a great stock level and even pumped it on the big rally's.

Euro M sport I have never used but he is ment to keep a good stock of all the different rons of fuels

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Sunoco is hard got over here the dealer keep rubbish level of stock. So wouldn't recommend the Sunoco for that reason

I used Carless from Philip and he Kept a great stock level and even pumped it on the big rally's.

Euro M sport I have never used but he is ment to keep a good stock of all the different rons of fuels
Just don't let it evaporate out of the tank again Neil :p

56oval

RMS Regular
Ive tried every high octane fuel from the pumps over here, never once has it dyno'd any better than sul, perhaps because my engine just does not need the octane. Race fuel is a dear way of going and n.a doesnt yield as much as people think, its just a consistent fuel., my mates just switching his car over to full methanol, way cheaper than race fuel but it comes with a ton of expense and extra servicing.

Last edited:

Neil Kirkpatrick

RMS Regular
Drives
Subaru Impreza P
Just don't let it evaporate out of the tank again Neil :p

That was expensive lol :oops:
Ive tried every high octane fuel from the pumps over here, never once has it dyno'd any better than sul, perhaps because my engine just does not need the octane. Race fuel is a dear way of going and n.a doesnt yield as much as people think, its just a consistent fuel., my mates just switching his car over to full methanol, way cheaper than race fuel but it comes with a ton of expense and extra servicing.

What engine are you using it on. I don't have a huge experience with running higher ron fuel on n/a engines, though from what I gather unless running huge cubic cc there is very little gains to be had. Though the risk of engine damage should be less

On anything turbo and the car mapped to suit the fuel, there is huge gains to be had.
I gained over 100bhp in a high powered Subaru
The rally car gained enough Bhp and really good amounts of torque that if you did not run it, you where at huge disadvantage. Plus the car was literally det proof on the fuel meaning reliability was a huge factor too

Meth I have never used. But fuel quaility and mixing it right every time would put me off ever using. Never mind how dangerous meth is

Last edited:

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars

What engine are you using it on. I don't have a huge experience with running higher ron fuel on n/a engines, though from what I gather unless running huge cubic cc there is very little gains to be had. Though the risk of engine damage should be less

On anything turbo and the car mapped to suit the fuel, there is huge gains to be had.
The rally car gained enough Bhp and really good amounts of torque that if you did not run it, you where at huge disadvantage. Plus the car was literally det proof on the fuel meaning reliability was a huge factor too

Meth I have never used. But fuel quaility and mixing it right every time would put me of ever using. Never mind how dangerous meth is
Also if a car is mapped on a certain fuel you must never change fuels.

I recall a good few WRC and GrpN cars needing remapped to a certain fuel for Rally Ireland as there was one controlled fuel allowed and that was it so local lads running a diff brand had to remap pre event to the control brand

56oval

RMS Regular

Meth I have never used. But fuel quaility and mixing it right every time would put me of ever using. Never mind how dangerous meth is

On my street/strip engine near 11-1 comp , like i said ive tried them all to find more power and sul has always got the job done, no question race fuel on a force fed application will allow you to run more boost and timing also n.a much more compression and again timing but you dont want to be throwing it in a street car unless you get involved with map switching etc. im not poo pooing race fuel, far from it, turbo cars are a different kettle of fish.

As for the Meth youve got to throw in 3 x the usual amount and then fire it off with an arc welder lol. Its hydroscopic so all fuel lines, pump etc have to be meth friendly then theres the job of changing the oil after every event and boiling it off or putting in new, plus having to pre heat the oil as it runs so cool ( bonus )

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
On my street/strip engine near 11-1 comp , like i said ive tried them all to find more power and sul has always got the job done, no question race fuel on a force fed application will allow you to run more boost and timing also n.a much more compression and again timing but you dont want to be throwing it in a street car unless you get involved with map switching etc. im not poo pooing race fuel, far from it, turbo cars are a different kettle of fish.

As for the Meth youve got to throw in 3 x the usual amount and then fire it off with an arc welder lol. Its hydroscopic so all fuel lines, pump etc have to be meth friendly then theres the job of changing the oil after every event and boiling it off or putting in new, plus having to pre heat the oil as it runs so cool ( bonus )
Is this the stuff that in MSA events you need to run a sticker on the car for as if the car went on fire the flames are invisible?

I recall doing training at one time ref fire marshal duties and whatever fuel it was you had to throw sand at it and if the sand burnt then things were not good

56oval

RMS Regular
Is this the stuff that in MSA events you need to run a sticker on the car for as if the car went on fire the flames are invisible?

I recall doing training at one time ref fire marshal duties and whatever fuel it was you had to throw sand at it and if the sand burnt then things were not good

I dont know about the msa regs but yes meth burns with next to no visible flame.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I dont know about the msa regs but yes meth burns with next to no visible flame.
That sounds like it, i do recall a single seater running it at kirkistown and all posts were notified and briefed pre running of the event

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
It's a pity we cannot get decent fuel here (from the pump). As has been said BP Ultimate is probably the fuel of choice but (in my experience) it's been noted as pretty poor by reliable tuners when cars are being fully mapped (live & custom). Which makes it quite a limiting factor and restricts potential performance.

I wouldn't be wanting to break out the octane booster or fuel mix at every fill on a daily driver either, for the hassle alone never mind the cost.

The MON rating is a bit more relevant for our needs, but as it's a lower figure it doesn't market / advertise as well (n)

Mark King

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
we use whatever the customer runs in the car all of the time, usually 95 for most cars and we set the map as such which affects the torque.

if a customer comes with 97 in and usually runs 95, we still set everything up for 95 as you know fine well the car will never see 97 again
How can you set it up for 95 Ron if it's running 97ron at the time it's mapped? Does it not go by what's in the tank as you map?

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
How can you set it up for 95 Ron if it's running 97ron at the time it's mapped? Does it not go by what's in the tank as you map?
we have setting presets to go by for fuel, boost and timing for various fuels, and i am talking stage 1 maps, which can be set very safe as any higher stage must run 97 or higher

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
The M5 can be an ass on its own no matter what fuel you put in it but I always go out my way to put 97 in it. When I'm over the water with it, it's always 99 going in.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I was waiting for some words of wisdom from the bug guys :grinning: You boys know your engines. Thanks @56oval :grinning:

It's irrelevant what super you put in really. Your engine will have a knock sensor in it and it'll control everything and keep it safe.

When three of @Mark King s cars were mapped the tuners have all said our super is similar quality to their 95 Ron fuel.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Bob rawle comes over here to map cars, mainly scoobs. He cant believe how **** our fuel is. Its best just using 95 for mapping as there is very little difference and you dont have the hassle of always trying to find super.

PhilM

RMS Regular
ethanol > methanol

But like everyone is saying hardly worth it for a daily driver. But yes gains would be massive

Phil

Cess

RMS Staff
The market for Super unleaded here, in terms of volume sold, is tiny. I'm near certain it all comes from the same source in Belfast Harbour.

WSM

RMS Regular
OP
WSM
Drives
R8
So scrap using SUL and just use unleaded :eek: