Importing a car from South of Ireland to the North

MrWhite

RMS Regular
Drives
Hawkeye Impreza
Rather than starting yet another thread i just need a couple of quick questions answered if possible.

I picked up another Calibra from Donegal a while back, it was from Belfast (First registered) before being brought down there. Does this make it easier in the process of getting it back to a UK reg?

Also the fecker never sent me the log book and iv lost his number, whats the options?

Im going to MOT on chasis number first to see how big the fail sheet is before deciding what to do with it. It was purchased for spares but its in very good order (Body and interior wise) it would be a shame to strip it.

Thanks for any info.

Tony.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
You could contact the Irish driving authority and see if there happy to maybe forward you the book ?

ST Kyle

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335i
Anyone know if you import a Japanese Import car from ROI that's under 10 years old does it need an IVA or just an MOT if it's been NCT'd and on the road in the South?

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Anyone know if you import a Japanese Import car from ROI that's under 10 years old does it need an IVA or just an MOT if it's been NCT'd and on the road in the South?

It'll need some sort of conformity cert at least AFAIK.

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
IVA, any test/tax in the south makes no odds... have to follow the normal UK/NI procedures...

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
IVA, any test/tax in the south makes no odds... have to follow the normal UK/NI procedures...

Does a European conformity cert (not that I'm saying it has one) not negate the need for IVA?

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
Not necessarily, but 'maybe' possible, doubt it will have an EU Conformity though if Japanese Import in south... likely just been basically VRT/NCT'd...

Boksic

RMS Regular
Can someone put in here the steps to go through for this now that we've no tax office to call in to?
For an individual buying a car privately in the south, to use up north.
Is it still MOT on chassis number, New car registration at £55 or so, insure, tax.
No vat or taxes of sorts? Or is there some calculator type thing you can use as a guide? Cheers

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Was reading up on this the other day.

Seems to be:

MOT on chassis number
£55 New Registration Fee
Tax
Insure

Doesn't seem to be any hidden fees outside of this unless you are a trader. No registration fees if car has been originally registered in UK also.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Above, only, if it was registered in UK before, then took to south, to bring it back to UK, the registration fee is none. Also,and in a different order

Always get full irish log book off seller

First thing is get a "import registration pack" from DVLA, google it, they post it out free. Comes in few days and contains paperwork needed
While thats coming, Insure it on its chassis number and MOT it on chassis number
Complete your NOVA process, 15 minutes online and print off showing no duty due
Fill in your registration for a used motor vehicle from the pack
Photocopy your driving licence and its counterpart paper
Look up your road tax rate from the import pack and add on the £55 reg fee if needed, a call to swansea quoting chassis number/make/model will reveal if it was ever UK reg, or the irish log book should say.
post off everything above including insurance, MOT, licence, full irish log book, cheque, drop in a covering letter to explain what your up to. Last one i done took 2 weeks or less. All documents are returned to you

Last edited:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Edited my process there. To make it a little clearer. So just the usual tax rate. The NOVA process will usually confirm nothing to pay also, if the car has been on the road legally in ROI, all duty will be cleared already

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
For myself I keep a photocopy of the Irish log book too. Helps to show perhaps if someone digs and wonders were the car has been in it's life. Up until uk reg

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
It's a bit off putting until you do it. But it's we buns. It was even easier when you could just dander into county hall and hand paper over.

My record was 5 days from purchase to road legal lol.

I have done it for few people on here now as some find it difficult to insure on chassis number. My insurance makes it easy

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
That's the bit thats a problem for me at present... Working on it tho

JB_VXR

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa Mito+e63 M6
Resurrecting an ancient thread.

I'm looking to buy a car from the South and the dealer says that they have to charge me the VRT, but I can claim it back as its being exported. However, it I claim back VRT, then I haven't paid VAT in another EU country (I presume) and thus have to pay the VAT to HMRC... which I'm guessing is 20% ? Is this right?

They said they'll help me claim the VRT back but its a 3 month turnaround.

Cheers,
JB

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
VRT and VAT are 2 different things, if you claim the VRT back, you will still have paid the VAT.

JB_VXR

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa Mito+e63 M6
Thanks buddy, they also said the car needs mph dials put in under UK law, is that a new thing?

RCT

RMS Regular
Thanks buddy, they also said the car needs mph dials put in under UK law, is that a new thing?

Not new, when some of the hire car companies like Hertz etc, where bringing in new cars from Ireland, they had to order the new speedo's with dual markings for a uk vehicle and have them installed.