MOT: Vehicle test centre closes over fault in car lifts

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
There will still be a massive rush - there's a lot of cars out there like mine that can't get a TEC. I see people asking all the time on Facebook about cars expired more than 12 months ago.
Yea I’ve been asking Nichola Mallon and on the DVA/DFI Facebook page. I’ve even emailed Nichola Mallon’s office who have basically passed the buck onto the DFI Chief Exec DVA Office, who have replied saying that I’ll hear back in due course. That was on 15/5/2020 and I’ve heard nothing since.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Garages in GB working away doing MOTs. Service centres opening (along with dealerships) next week in GB, some here as well. I can't see that being an issue. The 80% furlough ends end of July as well, so there should be a clear back to work incentive (which I think most people have anyway).

Anyone who's in a rush, Scotland is the other option!

But as you know...huge difference for self employed garages who have to earn a living regardless...than government employees here.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
But as you know...huge difference for self employed garages who have to earn a living regardless...than government employees here.

Getting full rate plus being available 5 days a week for cash in hand repair jobs!...... it’s far too unsafe to return just yet.

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
you are allowed to work and earn money if you are furloughed. its also not easy to get car parts at the minute. i ordered bits from donnelly honda and they said 7 days for an abs sensor also tps have 1 van a day and it leaves at 10.30 am.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
you are allowed to work and earn money if you are furloughed. its also not easy to get car parts at the minute. i ordered bits from donnelly honda and they said 7 days for an abs sensor also tps have 1 van a day and it leaves at 10.30 am.

If you are furloughed, you cannot do any work for your employer.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Go to Fyfes. We’re open 7 weeks 😂
But you are allowed to work for another employer. Example I am cusrrently furloughed, I could however go and stack shelves in Tesco.
Surely not. As your getting 80% paid, you can’t then go an get a job legally with another company

Actually seems you can work for someone else while on furlough
24285331-91A7-4DEF-A6FC-0F490EFE3AF1.png

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
im back working a week now but i know of people who have not closed for 1 day, the furlough has made some people plenty of money, getting 80% and still working but the biggest money-spinner was the £10k for rates. if you rented a small shed and paid business rates you cleaned up. its a mad crazy system which plenty took advantage off.

'96dc2

RMS Regular
Anyone had a TEC issued recently for a car that had a test booked? I have a test booked for tomorrow for a car that is out of mot for less than 1 year.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
One of mine was due 6 June and booked for 6 June, first NI Mot., I see it's now showing as 26 November....odd addition.

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
I've a car here that is up in July. Will I get a reminder or extension or what's happening at the moment?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Extension but you wont see it until closer to the renewal date.

ECR

RMS Member
Crazy money to get there though. I’ve emailed a few garages asking for test prices In and around Stranraer/Cairnryan and none have got back to me, so I still have no idea of the full costs.

I took my car to Stranraer many years ago for an MOT when the test centres here were on strike. From what I recall the centre I took it to charged the maximum fee at the time.

On gov.uk it states the maximum fee for a car is £54.85 and £29.65 for a standard motorcycle.

It was an easy process at the time. Leave the car at the garage, take a look round the shops for an hour and then pick the car up.

I took the car back there the following year, but after that ferry prices got very expensive. When I looked recently I think it was about £170 for a day return by car.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
What's the current situation? My MOT is up on 20th June. Do just ignore it and they automatically extend it or do I need to book and pay for an appointment that will be cancelled?

ECR

RMS Member
What's the current situation? My MOT is up on 20th June. Do just ignore it and they automatically extend it or do I need to book and pay for an appointment that will be cancelled?
What does it show on https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

NIDirect states:-

"TECs will be automatically generated from DVA’s system for all eligible vehicles without any action needed to be taken by the vehicle owner.

Vehicles whose existing MOT certificate expired from 26 March or will expire before testing resumes again will be automatically exempt from testing for a full 12 months.

For vehicles which have previously been issued a TEC, their TEC will be automatically extended to the maximum timeframes set out in legislation, up to a maximum period of 12 months from their last MOT expiry date."

ECR

RMS Member
Still says 20th June. I'll just sit it out and see.
NI Direct is saying Test Centres are closed until 22 June 2020, so you wouldn't be able to get an MOT before it expires so you should get the TEC without doing anything.

You couldn't book an MOT online anyway for a later date as they seem to have removed the functionality from NI Direct.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
You can no longer book mot’s
This thread an the other mot thread has had countless same questions regarding mot dates etc......
Leave your mot booked an they will refund an give an exemption around the day of the test

K55

RMS Regular
You can no longer book mot’s
This thread an the other mot thread has had countless same questions regarding mot dates etc......
Leave your mot booked an they will refund an give an exemption around the day of the test

🤔

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
Whats the craic then, centers opening again on 22nd? :p 4 days off and nothing more from government. Would have thought there would have been some further messaging by now.

Sods law MOT is up on the Z on 22nd so doesn't look to have been extended as that day is the cut off .......for now.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Whats the craic then, centers opening again on 22nd? :p 4 days off and nothing more from government. Would have thought there would have been some further messaging by now.

Sods law MOT is up on the Z on 22nd so doesn't look to have been extended as that day is the cut off .......for now.

Time to get it up the road mate, for a bad price :p